S3: Season Outlooks

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Baron, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

FIU Face Challenges, Opportunities in 2013
    Golden Panthers Look to Elusive Sun Belt Title
    Transfer Talent Looks to Help Transition on both sides of the Ball

After a stellar 11-2 season, Golden Panther Head Coach Baron is looking for FIU to continue its winning ways and make a conference championship their primary focus. "I think that with all the success we've had, we still haven't gotten that Sun Belt title, and that's really important to us." Despite an 11-2 effort last season, the Golden Panthers failed to earn a conference title. "The late loss against Troy was the hardest to bear, just had too many things go wrong." Key wins included Western Kentucky, Georgia, and Tennessee.​

College football observers are not making much of the Golden Panthers, leaving them out of the top 25, despite FIU finishing 13th in the polls last season, after defeating a previously one loss Miami University squad. "I understand why they're doing it, we had a ton of talent move on, and we're installing a new defensive system to boot."​

Coach Baron talked about the transition to the 3-4 defensive scheme saying, "When I got here, and last year as well, the talent, I think, was better suited to a four man front. And as a coach you have to work with your personnel. But I think this year we have the talent to move to my preferred, natural scheme, of the 3-4." Key to that transition will be transfer DT Brandon Dunn (89 OVR, 85 STR, 88 Power Move, 89 Block Shedding). The 6-3, 288 lb redshirt Junior will be key to anchoring the front for the Golden Panthers. "He's been phenomenal in practice and I'm expecting big things from him." The DE positions also bring experience and senior leadership as well. But in order for the FIU defense to have success, the Linebacking corp will need to grow up fast. "Losing Will (Fraser, MLB) and the rest doesn't make things easy, but hopefully our front can keep them relatively clean."​

The secondary also saw a "huge loss" in the graduation of Senior All-American Free Safety Jonathon Cyprien. "He was everything last year. Came up and stopped the run, brought the pressure off our zone blitzing schemes, and was just a great ball hawk last season." But like the front 7, the secondary has one other stalwart to rely on, in pre-season All-American Corner Jose Cheeseborough. The Senior CB had a "stellar, out of his mind," season last year. Picking off 11 passes, returning one for a score. "He'll be key for us to slow down opponents' passing attacks."​

The offense is also undergoing some transition but benefits from some key returners as well. "Having Jake back is big." Jake Medlock had a "bit of a problem" in turning the ball over, with 22 INTs, but had a great 25 tosses for scores. "He was much bigger for us than those stats indicate. 2609 yards passing doesn't tell you how many of those yards came on 3rd down and in crunch time." Medlocks stats are even more impressive given the running nature of HC Baron's scheme.​

"Thankfully we aren't transitioning in our offensive scheme either." The Golden Panthers will continue their multiple offensive set, utilizing the shotgun zone read with a power running game out of the I. But their leading rusher from last year, Darrian Mallary (1617 yards, 17 TDs) suffered from a rash of off the field problems during the offseason, including a suspension for a fight at a strip club in which Mallary was found outside later battered and covered in cheese whiz. "Darrian has gone through the appropriate community service and counseling programs and is ready to rejoin the team," a clearly upset Coach Baron said.​

But the incident (along with another one at a local Toys R' Us) may have cost the preseason All-American his starting job. Junior (RS) Transfer HB Storm Johnson may have slipped ahead of Mallary on the depth charts. "Storm is a phenomenal back. He's got the speed (95) quickness (99 Acc), and ability to make cuts (93 agility) to make guys miss (84 Elusiveness, 91 spin, 91 juke). But he has way more power than people would think (85 stiff arm, 92 trucking, 89 break tackle)."​

Johnson will likely have to produce right from the get go as the top three receivers for FIU graduated. Only 3 of touchdowns of Medlock's 25 remain on this season's squad. The Golden Panthers are exploring having Mallary play at WR to help the transition.​

All in all, it looks to be an exciting year in Miami, as the Golden Panthers look to continue to improve under Head Coach Frank Baron.​

2. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

( Jman, if you'd rather have all the previews in one thread, go ahead and like alter the title of this one. )

3. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

2013 Idaho Vandals

Coming off a stellar season in which the Vandals went undefeated in conference play and finished ranked #15 in the country, Coach Dusty Bottoms has high expectations for this season. Leading rusher and All American Todd Bailey is back for his redshirt sophomore season and will no doubt be the focal point of the offense. Idaho will have to turn to true freshman Fred Sapp to come in and lead the offense. Sapp, a 4* recruit from Texas, will have to show why he was so highly touted coming out of high school to keep teams from ganging up on the run. TE Tyler Elmo and WR Marquan Major expect to provide the punch in the passing game.

The defense has lost a lot of leaders from last years squad and as a result is switching to a 4-2-5 scheme in order to get the best players out on the field. FS Claude Mitchell, a 4* recruit from CA, will need to step in and play right away to shore up weaknesses at the CB position. DT Karel Kearney is going to be counted on to disrupt the quarterback and cause the turnovers this defense is going to need to stay off of the field.

The schedule will do them no favors. After beginning the year against #23 Washington State, the Vandals have an out of conference slate that includes Ohio State, UAB (Papaloke), FIU (TheBaron), Louisville, rival Boise State, Illinois and BYU. Once again, Idaho should be favored to win the 5-team WAC, but what they do out of conference will truly determine if this will be a special year for them.

4. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

After two seasons at UNM which have seen Nate Glory go from being suspended for half a season, to taking the program to a Bowl Game only to show up noticeably intoxicated, things seem to be moving forward in Albuquerque. Glory has been all business during the preseason and saying all the right things. Some inside sources say he's targeting this to be his last year in the land of Enchantment but takers are probably slim unless he wins his conference and finishes ranked. With the losses of on the team, that doesn't seem the most likely of scenarios. The bright spot for the Lobos is the return of true sophomore Quarterback Caleb Wright who started nearly his entire freshman season and helped turn things around for the Lobos. Transfer Halfback Tyler Watts (84 OVR) is already turning heads, after scoring 4 touchdowns in UNM's opening season road victory over Army. Unfortunately for UNM, the WR Corps are super bad, and not in a cool way like the movie (Best is a 61 overall). On the defensive side of the ball nobody stands out and the team will have a bend but don't break philosophy. Glory claims this team can make a run at the Mountain West title, but most just see that as big talk. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

5. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

2013 Florida Gators

After a 7-6 record last year with a lackluster offense, the Florida Gators are looking to amp it up and bring in former WKU head coach Chris Lopez to put some points up on the board. Lopez comes in with a lot of talent to work with. Mack Brown is a stud HB who has the speed to outrun anyone on the field, that is except for WR Andre Debose who is probably the fastest player in the country. The Gators also return two solid TEs that will be rotated in and out, as well as some great speed on the outside even without counting Debose. Lopez appears to have all the talent he will need to put up some major numbers. However, he cannot do that without a solid offensive line and quarterback. Luckily, the Gators return several starters and have ready replacements for those that left, with the stud being their RG (95 ovr.). Lastly we come to the quarterback, where Florida has lacked success since the departure of Tim Tebow. Lopez seems to think that Jeff Driskel will be the man to lead this offense for the season. Driskel is a very balanced quarterback with the ability to scramble and make plays as well as make any throw on the field. With all the talent of the tremendous coordinating of Lopez, this looks to be a big year for the Gators.

6. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Expectations are high in Birmingham, AL as coach Neil Callaway (aka coach papaloke) enters his 3rd year at the program. The blazers finished last year with a 10-3 mark but failed to reach the conference championship. That will be the main goal for papaloke this year. Before that journey can begin though UAB must first face tough user games against Idaho and New Mexico and then a showdown on the plains of the Auburn Tigers. If the blazers can survive those games they should be in good shape to roll through the C USA.
    The biggest question mark this year is going to be the Defense. UAB loses two impact players at MLB and coach papaloke will be forced to play true freshmen at those positions. The two *** recruits have endless potential but are still very raw and inexperience. Lombardi winner Deric Scott is back for his senior year at DT. His leadership will be invaluable to the young players and he will be called upon to carry the team.
    On offense, coach papaloke has decided to start Soph. QB Isaiah Johnson. Johnson won the starting QB role at the end of last season. Johnson is equipped with a strong arm but his accuracy could be the achilles heel this year. Coach papaloke is preaching to his signal caller to "Play within himself".
    The goals are high this year as this figures to be papaloke's last year with the Blazers. Consistent, smart play is going to be the key for success.

7. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Expectations are very low in Akron and I'm sure we won't disappoint. We have a shitty QB, 2 decent RBs and 2 decent WRs who of course are seniors. The OL sucks, the DL is dreadful and has 2 true frosh at DT...do I have to continue? I'd be thrilled to go 7-5, make a bowl, complete some more goals and move on to ANYWHERE. I predict if I'm in Akron next year I'll have about 9 true frosh starting next season.