S3 W11: Miami Dolphins @ San Francisco 49ers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011

Defense Rests in San Francisco
    Niners defeat Miami 35-7

The San Francisco 49ers defense had it's best performance of the season highlighted by a career game by OLB Aldon Smith's 5 sack, FF and INT.

It didn't start well for the Niners as QB Colin Kaepernick was intercepted on the first play from scrimmage by the Miami defender who then returned the interception for a touchdown. In trying to respond, the San Francisco's offense would continue to struggle as Kaepernick would be intercepted two more times in the quarter. Meanwhile, the Miami offense would be unable to take advantage as the San Francisco pass rush caused problems for the Dolphins offensive line. The constant pressure by the Niners defense would be a recurring theme in the game, and would get progressively worse for Miami.

Fortunes began to turn for San Francisco late in the first quarter as WR Jameel Sommerfield caught a slant and ran away from the defense for an 80 yard TD to tie the game at seven. Though the second quarter would continue to be marred by turnovers and missed opportunities, the Niners offense began to move the ball with more success. Ultimately, San Francisco would cash in late in the half with a 19 yard TD pass from Kaepernick to WR Michael Crabtree to give San Francisco a 14-7 lead going into halftime.

Both teams would go scoreless in the third quarter as the defenses held their ground, setting up for a intriguing fourth. With Miami driving into 49ers territory for a chance to tie the game, Ryan Tannehill was intercepted by MLB Patrick Willis who returned the INT 61 yards for a TD and a commanding 21-7 lead for San Francisco. Willis was in action for the first time in five weeks, as he returned from a lower leg injury. Down by 14, the Miami offensive line began to leak holes as the San Francisco pass rush intensified. Consequently, Ryan Tannehill unraveled under the pressure and began forcing passes, resulting in San Francisco interceptions. From there, the Niners sealed the game with a couple of HB Cedric Shepherd TD runs for the final margin.

yogibear, good game. My defense kept me in the game early on when I was turning the ball over, allowing me to eventually get on track a little. I don't recall any other games where I was able to generate as much pressure as I did.

Notable Stats

Miami Dolphins San Francisco 49ers
    QB Ryan Tannehill - 10/23, 94 yards, 5 INT QB Colin Kaepernick - 13/21, 228 yards, 2 TD, 4 INT
    HB Reggie Bush - 11 car, 31 yards, long 19 HB Cedric Shepherd - 17 car, 73 yards, 2 TD, long 24
    TE Coby Fleener - 3 rec, 58 yards, long 23 WR Jameel Sommerfield - 3 rec, 92 yards, TD, long 80
    DE Chris Clemons - 5 tack, INT, TD DE Aldon Smith - 7 tack, 5 tack, INT, FF
    CB Richard Marshall - tack, 2 INT MLB Patrick Willis - tack, 2 INT, TD
    Offensive Yards: 74 Defense: 9 sack, 5 INT, 0 Pts Allowed