S3:W14 - Vikings v. 49ers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Apr 8, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Vikings Win Turnover Battle; Beat 49ers to Keep Pace in Division
    [​IMG]
    San Francisco, CA - In a battle of two NFC division leaders, both teams came into their Week 14 match-up top 5 in Total Defense. The Vikings were sitting at 9-3, tied for the division lead with the Lions & Packers in a crowded NFC North division. The Niners had won 5 games in a row, and were looking to extend that streak, and their division lead with a win at home versus Minnesota.
    The Vikings would put together a nice opening drive, but it would end abruptly as AP lost only his second fumble of the season. It was picked up by LB Parys Haralson and taken 56 yards to paydirt. The Vikings would respond with another long drive that consumed close to 6 minutes of game time, and ended with a 10-yard TD run by AP. Score after 1 quarter - 7-7.
    The second quarter was dominated by both defenses. Romo would throw an INT deep in his own territory (to CB Carlos Rogers) that lead to 3 points by the Niners. A three and out by the Vikings was followed by an INT by FS Harrison Smith. While the Vikings couldn't capitalize this time, Kaepernick was intercepted a second time in the quarter with just over a minute to play. This time, the Vikings would capitalize and Romo finished off a nice 1-minute drill with a TD pass to TE Kyle Rudolph for 6 with just 12 seconds left in the half. Score at halftime - 14-10 in favor of MN.
    The Vikings would start off the second half just as they left off the first - with another INT of Kaepernick. This time, rookie CB Kelian Woods would take it in from 18 yards out for the defensive TD to put the purple up 21-10 early in the third quarter. The Niners would respond, however, with a 64-yard TD run by HB Cedric Shepherd on 3rd and short. This was followed by a second INT thrown by QB Tony Romo deep in his own territory. A FG later, and the score stood at 21-20 MN with 5:08 to play in the 3rd quarter. Romo and the Viking offense would finally settle down, and a 5-minute drive was capped off by a 19-yd TD run by AP, his second of the day. Score after 3 - 28-20.
    The Niners had chances to cut the deficit in the 4th quarter, but Kaepernick threw two more interceptions (5 on the day), and Minnesota would hit them with a heavy dose of AP (24 carries, 134 yds, 3 TD). No drama late in this one. Final score: 35-20 in favor of MN.
    Good game, Boom29. Turnovers killed ya in this one...
    Players of Game:
    49ers:
    HB Cedric Shepherd - 13 carries, 112 yds, 1 TD; 3 catches, 49 yds
    SS Donte Whitner - 11 tackles
    Minnesota:
    TE Kyle Rudolph - 5 catches, 68 yds, 1 TD
    DT Kevin Williams - 4 Tackles, 2 Sacks
    FS Harrison Smith - 3 Tackles, 2 INTs, 1 PD

2. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Yeah, good game. Once my defense go worn out, I couldn't stop your running game. Even when I did score, it was a big play, so not much rest time.

3. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

That makes sense. AP had a tough time in the first half; your defenders come off blocks better than any team I've faced to this point. I had to work hard for every TD in that game (except for the pick-6 of course). Best of luck rest of season, and I look forward to a potential rematch in the playoffs.

4. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I look forward to it...if I get there. Aldon Smith was out with injury, so we'll see what kind of difference he makes if we see each other again in the playoffs.