S3:W16 - Vikings v. Packers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Apr 15, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Walsh Kicks GW FG as Time Expires; Vikings clinch 3rd straight NFC North Title
    [​IMG]
    Minneapolis, MN - The (11-3) Vikings & (10-4) Packers would meet in Week 16, both teams in the middle of a tight race for the NFC playoffs and for the divisional crown. With a win, the Packers could take possession of first place in the division (and would have beaten the Vikings twice this season). If the Vikings were to win, they would clinch their third straight divisional crown under coach Simmons and look forward to the playoffs.
    First half was the AP show - he amassed 175+ yards in the first half, and scored 3 TD's (several were of the highlight-reel variety, throwing defenders off him and bouncing out of numerous tackles). The packers would keep it close, however, but settled for a FG after a 1st & Goal from the 9 yard line with 35 seconds and two TO's to spare. Score at half: 21-13 in favor of MN.
    The third quarter was more of a defensive battle, as the Packers finally started to slow down Peterson. Green Bay tacked on a FG middle of the third, but the Vikings answered with a FG of their own just 6 seconds into the 4th quarter.
    With 5 minutes to play, the Packers would get the ball and Rodgers went to work. The Vikings harassed Rodgers the entire drive, as they did all game (6 sacks on the day) but he made some amazing 3rd & Long throws to keep the Packers alive. On 3rd down from the Viking 44-yard line, the Packers were finally able to beat the Viking secondary over the top as Rodgers hit Greg Jennings for the TD pass. A 2-pt conversion pass from Rodgers was good; tie ball game at 24 each!
    With 3:05 to play, Romo put together a 2-minute drill of his own that included a clutch 3rd & long pass to TE Kyle Rudolph early in the drive. The Vikings then went back to a heavy dose of AP, which got them into FG range and allowed Walsh to hit the 41-yarder as time expired to send the Vikings to the playoffs. Final Score: 27-24.
    As always, great game dakota7. Never a dull moment in the NFC North...
    Players of Game:
    Vikings:
    HB AP - 21 carries, 203 yds, 3 TD; 1 catch, -2 yds
    RE Jared Allen - 5 Tackles, 2 Sacks
    Packers:
    QB Aaron Rodgers - 18 of 28, 282 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
    WR Greg Jennings - 5 catches, 110 yds, 1 TD

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Good game JSimms Adrian Peterson was unbelievable. That was the most dominant individual performance I've seen in this game. I mean, I don't think this is a secret, but when I play you the number 1 priority is to stop Peterson. So to have a game like that....I mean, my defense is good and he torched it. Impressive. Good luck in the playoffs, there's a good chance the 11-5 Packers will watch from home.