S3 W4 Lions vs Packers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Anthrax78, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Lions Pull Off Huge Comeback Win Over Packers in Rain Soaked Lambeau, 24-21

Coach Westcott walked out of the tunnel onto Lambeau Field and saw the rain coming down wondering if his team would respond after losing their starting HB and Nick Barnett for a key game in their schedule. "We always lose here no matter what." Westcott said in disgust before the game "Up until last season these guys bring their best here against us every time." This time coach Westcott was spot on with his concern over his team.

The Packers came out with a new look offense that took coach westcott and his staff by surprise. Last season they were a pass first team and now they were running the ball with Jonathan Stewart and making short high percentage throws for Rodgers. "They controlled the clock big time in the first half that left us dumbfounded." Westcott said after the game "We were caught off guard, no question."

Green Bay milked a opening 7 minute touchdown drive that gave then a 7-0 lead in the first. Detroit came out and it was three and out and Green Bay went at it again. This time Detroit's play in the red zone kept them from scoring another 6 and they settled for a field goal, 10-0 Packers. Detroit next drive, Stafford lead the Lions into Green Bay's redzone and Stafford tossed a point killing pick and then Stafford followed the next drive with a fumble. Green Bay then put together another time killing drive that was finally stopped in the red zone by the Lions defense, 13-0 Packers going into the half.

"Those stops in the red zone really did save our chances against them today." Westcott said after the game "When a team drives on you it's easy to get discouraged on the defensive side but I credit our guys for not falling apart on those drives."

After halftime, Detroit watched helplessly as Stafford lead the Lions to the Packers 8 yard line only to get picked off again on an amazing diving interception in the endzone. Green Bay then marched down the field, killing clock with precision passing and timely running driving all the way to the Lions 7 yard line while while coach Westcott started wondering if they were even going to get a point against the Packers defense that afternoon.

Then the Lions finally got the break they needed!

Stewart was trying to get around the Right Tackle when Stephen Tulloch came up and hit him which popped the ball loose with Cory Peters grabbing it and taking it down field for 20 plus yards. It was the momentum changer that coach Westcott deperately needed, and another key red zone stop for Detroit, but still 13-0 going into the fourth.

After Stafford's terrible play up to that point, some of it his fault, some of it the Packers pressure that Clay Matthews was getting. Stafford came out a new quarterback in the fourth quarter. He drove down the field, checking down when needed and not throwing anything deperate, and finally connecting to Calvin Johnson for a touchdown, the first score of the game for Detroit, 13-7.

Now it was Rodgers turn to make a mistake! Rodgers, who played pretty much mistake free football and made every pass during the afternoon had one dud, that 2nd year corner Mario Brown jumped on and grabbed the rain covered pigskin out of the air to the gasp of the Cheeseheads at Lambeau. The Lions now had the ball and Ladarius Mitchell broke out on a iso-dive and ran it in to the endzone to take the lead away from Green Bay on a 45 yard touchdown run. Green Bay then had a drive that fizzled and Detroit then completed a drive that ended with another TD with a short 4 yard pass to Tony Scheffler in the end zone that gave the Lions a 21-13 lead.

Not to be outdone, Rodgers stepped out on the rain soaked turf and completed a middle route pass to Randall Cobb that was perfectly read by Rodgers with the Lions cover-4 defense they were in for a 78 yard TD strike, Rodgers then completed a 2 point conversion pass to tie the game up 21 a piece with a minute and some change left.

With the Lions offense coming back out with all there time outs, coach Westcott told Stafford to "not do anything stupid with the ball" but on second down after Mitchell was stuffed with a 2 yard loss, Stafford sighted Walker Stream, who beat his man and was open down the field with only a safety nearby. Stafford launched the ball in the air and Stream came down with it for a 41 yard gain. After an out route completion to Johnson the Lions were in safe field goal range and Westcott sent Dan Carpenter out for the game winning field goal to end the game with no time left, 24-21.

"It was a tough game and we needed to dig deep to pull that one out" Westcott said after the game "Coach Polzin called a good game but we played perfect football in the fourth to steal this victory and they look stronger this year in my opinion. I know the sting to have control of a game and watch it slip through our hands so there is no sense to gloat over this one but when you beat the Packers at Lambeau it's always important from a divisional perspective so I'll take it nonetheless."

Capture.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Thanks HotRod, it can be time-consuming too. I've seen other people in my leagues steal my newspaper style write ups but I consider it a honor.

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Good game Anthrax78 I was in complete control man, that fumble was a killer. I intentionally tried to keep it on the ground, I wanted to burn 3 more plays worth of clock and avoid the turnover, and come away with at least a field goal. What a backbreaker. And Stewart has 94 carry rating....anyway, good game see ya in a few weeks.

5. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Yeah, that was the game right there. If you were up 20, or even 16 heading to fourth, figuring I would get three possessions if that I would of went into desperation mode and tossed a pick eventually. Rain probably came into factor with Stewart and red zone defense was stellar on your side. (Still can't believe that pick you got earlier when he laid out flat for the int) Glad next one will be in the D and indoors at least ;)!

• Like Like x 1
  6. dakota7

• Like Like x 1
  7. dakota7

8. yogibear

yogibear Walk On

Love the highlight video.

9. yogibear

yogibear Walk On

Love the highlight video.

10. dakota7

Did it work for you? I can't get it to work

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Fixed. Youtube changed it's embed code. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dakota7

Wow....it wasn't something I screwed up? Will wonders never cease....

Thanks

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Sometimes places change their embed code and don't tell us. Youtube thinks we are small potatoes or something...:)