S3:W5 Vikings v. Lions (THRILLER!)

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Oct 25, 2009
    Romo Benched; Ponder Leads Epic Comeback Vs Lions

Minneapolis, MN - Not much more could have been on the line in this one, and both teams played that way. This is a game that will go down as one of the more exciting ones in this storied NFC North rivalry. The Vikings still hadn't quite recovered from their NFC Championship loss to the Redskins, and had sputtered to a 2-2 record to start the season, while the Lions were coming off three straight victories and had sole possession of first place in the division after 4 weeks.

The Vikings would start the game off with a time-consuming drive that ended in a 27-yard TD run by Adrian Peterson. The Lions would answer with a drive of their own, but would have to settle for a 55-yd FG by Dan Carpenter. Score after one quarter - 7-3 in favor of MN.

The second quarter is where things got interesting. After a FG by K Blair Walsh put the Vikings up by 7 early in the quarter, the Lions could not get things going on offense and punted the ball back to MN, who seemed to be in full control at this point. Things started to go downhill from there. The Vikings would lose WR Percy Harvin for the game, and he would fumble on the play. The Lions wouldn't capitalize on this turnover, but with less than 3 minutes to go in the half, and the Vikings driving, Romo began his implosion. He would throw three INT's in the final 3 minutes of the half, including one that was returned by CB Chris Houston for a TD. The three turnovers lead to 21 Lions points in the quarter, and they took a commanding lead into halftime (24-10) and were set to receive the ball to begin the second half.

At halftime, Coach Simmons decided enough was enough. Up to this point in the season, Romo had thrown 9 INTs & only 4 TDs. Romo was benched at halftime in favor of QB Christian Ponder.

Both defenses clamped down in the 3rd quarter. K Blair Walsh missed a 53-yard FG attempt, Stafford was picked off twice in the quarter (by CB Josh Robinson & CB Antoine Hudson), and the Lions stuffed Adrian Peterson 4 straight times inside the 5 yard line for an impressive turnover on downs. Score after 3 quarters remained 24-10.

The fourth quarter began with a long drive by MN, and AP was able to punch it in from the 1-yard line this time (although it took him another three tries!) QB Matt Stafford, who finished the day just 8 for 20, would throw his third INT of the day with less than 3 minutes to play (this one to FS Harrison Smith) to give the Vikings what looked to be one last chance to tie it. Ponder would respond, just as he did in the Vikings SB run 2 yrs ago, and led a 1 minute drive that was capped off by Adrian Peterson's 3rd rushing TD of the day. With 1:57 remaining, this game was tied at 24!

However, just as the Vikings were feeling good about the comeback, the secondary made a critical mistake on a 3rd and long and let Calvin Johnson beat them over the top for 65 yards and the TD. With 1:11 remaining, the Vikings were down 7 again with just two timeouts left. Unfazed, and determined to steal his starting QB spot back from Romo, Ponder lead the Vikings back deep into Detroit territory. On 3rd & long from the 23-yard line, Ponder hit rookie WR Brandon Heimuli (over the top of the CB; in front of the safety) for a TD with just :08 remaining in the game! Ponder had completed the comeback, and they looked forward to OT.

BUT....Detroit decided to get cute with no time left on the clock, on their own 26-yard line. Stafford heaved a hail mary into triple coverage. FS Nick Collins would intercept the pass, break a tackle, and take it 76-yards to paydirt for the game-winning TD with no time left on the clock!

Wow, what a game Anthrax78. You had me on the ropes, and played great D all day. I look forward to the rematch in Detroit.

Players of Game:

QB Christian Ponder - 11 of 14, 172 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
    HB Adrian Peterson - 31 carries for 168 yds, 3 TD; 2 Catches for 40 yds
    WR Brandon Heimuli - 4 catches, 71 yds, 1 TD
    FS Nick Collins - 3 Tackles, 1 INT, 1 INT TD

WR Calvin Johnson - 3 catches, 115yds, 1 TD
    MLB Stephen Tulloch - 8 tackles, 1 Sack, 2 TFL
    CB Chris Houston - 3 Tackles, 1 INT, 1 INT TD
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Sep 23, 2009
  3. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Feb 11, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Aug 7, 2012
    Yeah, I should never play in the morning again. What a dumb play on my part, had to shut off the xbox right after I told Jsimms GG because I felt like I was going to vomit the way i lost that. GG JSimms!