S3W6

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Masler, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I'll play tonight.

3. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Yup will do soon as I win one......

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'll play tonight, if not early tomorrow before noon

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

#3 Cal 28
    #4 Texas 44

Cal traveled to DKR to face their 4th ranked team in 6 games (3 of those 4 ranked games were on the road) to face a team that, on paper, is vastly superior to the Bears in every way. It turned out that they weren't merely superior on paper....

Going into the game coach Jello was most worried about superstar HB Jonathan Gray:

upload_2014-1-17_15-36-59.png
    and coach Jello thought he had a decent plan in place to stop him, but it never came to fruition as he wracked up 210 rushing yards, 3 TDs, and 238 total yards of offense (the rest of the team only accounted for 136 yards).

This was Cal's first game without starting QB Dennis who broke his foot last week (even though they did play 3.75 quarters without him last week) and his backups were terribly terrible. Dennis had thrown 5 INTs in the first 5 games while his backups threw 4 in this game alone. To be fair, 3 of those 4 came in the 4th quarter when Cal was in desperation mode and Texas was playing prevent defense, but it's still horrible.

This game was also exceptionally brutal for the Bears. They lost 2 key offensive guys with bad injuries last week, and then this week they had 5 guys get hurt! Luckily none of them were for more than a quarter, but they were almost all very key guys. They lost their QB Harris (who, with Dennis down, is the only scrambler left on a team with 7 QBs), their 2nd leading HB Muhammad went down twice, and their #1 WR was injured for a spell.

This loss snaps a 23 game win streak by the Bears and they limp back to Berkeley to face their rivals the Bruins in front of every recruit that's worth a damn. If the Cal QB plays as poorly as he (they) did today, it could be a very disappointing 2 weeks for Cal as UCLA will almost certainly be the 3rd top 6 team the Bears will have faced in 7 games (and 5th ranked opponent).

whoops.jpg
    Cal's backup QBs made terrible decisions late in the game.
    I know to the lay person this receiver looks to be wide open, but take it from an expert....... He's actually not.

Game Balls (yeah right!):
    HB#1 Darren Ervin - 11 car, 61 yds (5.5 YPC), 3 TD - 2 rec, 10 yds, TD

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I don't recall you liking any of my game summaries when I won Raidernation ..........

[​IMG]

7. Raidernation

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 7.31.04 PM.png

Mississippi State handled business at Jordan-Hare as Prescott and Griffin proved to be very effective against a tough Auburn squad . Even more impressive, the defense was able to prevent the usual comeback attempt by its previous 6 opponents. No lobbed out routes, multiple broken tackles that lead to huge gains and although we got hit with a couple third and long roughing the passer penalties, our Bulldogs were able to limit the Tigers no huddle attach to just a field goal late and close it out.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 7.32.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 7.33.03 PM.png

8. Raidernation

hahaha only coincidence but good point.