(S4) State of the TFS

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by RedAL925, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Another successful TFS season is in the books. This was one of the most competitive and exciting seasons yet. Let me start by congratulating our champions: shiftee CxMacx10 and BigSmooth33 , as well as "Cup King" Zikry, who claimed his second Coppa title in 4 appearances.

SEASON IN REVIEW

In Serie A, multiple teams laid claim to the #1 spot, only to be overtaken late by the now back-to-back-to-back TFS A champion Spartak Moscow. At the bottom, we've lost 3 stalwarts of TFS A in IJGator and UcanHateMeNow, who were relegated, and kaptainkracker1, who stepped down for a season. Three spots were up for grabs....

...and those 3 spots went to CxMacx10, rschwep, and Cimmy24. Wolverhampton edged ahead of FC Koln and Rubin Kazan to take the title, but all three clinched promotion. For FC Koln, this completes their sprint to the top flight, having climbed the ladder in just 3 seasons. And for Rubin Kazan, a long-awaited return to the top flight. But it might have been OhDaesu19 who stole the show, with a late push for safety. Clinched by a 1-1 draw against Wolves, his Palermo side clinched safety, leaving redwings8831 and Go Devils in the drop zone.

In another hotly-contested promotion race, 4 teams battled for 3 promotion places in Serie C. BigSmooth33 and Celtic, the grind-it-out get-a-result team finished on top, followed by the brick wall defense of hokie79 and the high-octane attack of vipermansa. Geneseo98 finished 4th, and will surely be promotion favorites next season.

COMMENTARY

This season was mostly a success. Match completion left something to be desired, especially in Serie A. Serie B did an excellent job getting to 100% completion before the deadline, while Serie C had only 2 unplayed matches. The goal is still to get to 100% match completion throughout the entire TFS, so we will be looking at ways to achieve this goal.

Another area of improvement we could use is original content. This seems to have dropped off recently, and I'd like for it to return. There are so many great things we can do with content, whether it be team previews, the return of the "5 things we learned", or simply more team pages, content is what drives interest and story lines for the league. If you have any content ideas, please bring them to your commissioner and we will get you started.

Regarding manager availability, this site is and will always be the main form of communication for match scheduling and league announcements (like this thread). It seems that email alerts are less than reliable, so please get in the habit of checking this site daily, and responding to any messages you have here.

SEASON 5

Which brings me to the new season, our 5th at this site. A couple minor changes that I will point out: first, we will no longer be using "Custom" rosters for match play. Instead, please select the "Online" option. We have no solid way of checking this, so it's on the honor system that you do this.

The league system will not change, still 3 tiers, with the same promotion/relegation structure. The match schedule is getting a slight tweak, but nothing major.

The biggest change to the TFS is the introduction of the Discipline System. In this system, managers will be given cards ( :yellowcard: and :redcard:) for unplayed matches and unsportsmanlike conduct, respectively. If a manager receives 3 yellow cards, he is banned for the season, and if a manager receives 3 red cards, he is banned for life. You can find more detail about the discipline system HERE (not up yet, but it's coming)

With that, we should be ready to go with Season 5 in the next week or so. I am excited to get underway, as I'm sure the rest of you are. Once again, I'd like to thank Zikry Friz and the rest of the management team for their help and support. And of course to RynoAid and the rest of his team for allowing us the opportunity to host our league on this site.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post them here or send a PM to a commissioner.

Thank you again, and good luck in Season 5!

• Like Like x 5
  2. RedAL925

3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

I would also like to add a personal thank you to Broncos218 who does an amazing job keeping up with the Coppa. His writeups about the games, and the previews are something I always look forward to every season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

First off, tip o' the cap to RedAL925, Zikry, Friz and Broncos218 for their leadership of this ship of fools. It must be like herding cats keeping this group of slack-jawed yokels in line, and it's a task you perform admirably. This league is a great outlet and a good home for those of us who love the game and like it played the right way.

One question, though...

Why the decision the switch from custom to online rosters? Custom allows you to set your lineup and have that always be your lineup, rather than forcing you to change your lineup in 30 seconds before every match. A minor point, I know, but the online lineup my team is assigned blows, sticking my most potent attacking midfielder in a defensive role, putting a CDM in a RAM/RW slot, and having one of my best defenders not even on the bench, but down in the reserve roster (as he's been injured and hasn't actually played for the real squad this season). Was there abuse of the custom rosters?

5. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

And how does one "abuse" the custom roster?? I have no idea??

tipping my cap as well

6. RedAL925

There was suspicion that people were boosting ratings early in the season. To avoid this, we decided to switch to online rosters to avoid that problem all together.

7. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

To prepare having to make changes pre-match, you should just review your lineup beforehand and jot down any changes you'll have to make

8. hokie79

hokie79 Walk On

I agree here -- in 30 seconds it's hard to setup my roster the way i want it setup -- with formation and right players in right spot. this could leave managers using Subs at the start of the game if this isn't completed or just playing thru it. Not quite sure how Custom lineups get's changed unless you have a VP assigned to the team. It's fairly minor i know but it is something that can impact results (esp if you forget to change lineups). I understand the change though if there are some advantages for Custom rosters that Im not aware of.

9. RedAL925

CUSTOM ROSTERS
    Pro - you can set your lineup offline, and play with it online
    Con - you have the ability to edit stats of your players

ONLINE ROSTERS
    Pro - you can't edit stats; everyone plays with the same set
    Con - you have to set your roster in 30 seconds

It's risk/reward here - Custom rosters were swell until we heard that there might be roster editing (boosting ratings). When that happens, we have to go to Online rosters so that everyone is on the same roster set. Does it suck? Yes. Does it need to be done? Yes.

10. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

yeah, i suspected ratings boosting as well but no sense pointing fingers because there in absolutely no way to prove or disprove.

RedAL925 Thanks for all the work you do for the league and thanks for putting up with all my crap. I will try and contribute more content to the league and as we get underway, please remind me that i said i would do it cause i will, im just a pothead and forget. BTW I love the red yellow card system for managers, very unique and i couldnt have thought of it myself.

As for 30 seconds to change rosters, it sucks but unless your changing the position of 7-11 players on you team which you shouldn't have to anyways, it shouldn't be a big deal IMO.

hokie79
    @Frenchie1916
    When this season rolls around, if you message me RIGHT AFTER THE START, saying you didnt have time to put your players in, i would gladly quit and let you try again. Im sure alot of other players would as well if you asked

11. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

You can change their secondary position so they wont loose points when you switch them from CDM to CAM or LW to LAM. Also i think everything down to height and weight could be edited.

12. RedAL925

We're actually "borrowing" it from the XBOX guys, so you can thank them too ;)

13. hokie79

hokie79 Walk On

Wow -- no idea that was even doable...which makes sense....but yeah...the workaround on the 30 seconds as well is really to just set your first XI (regardless of position) and Subs (if you have key players in reserves) -- then just set everything up before kickoff or shortly after kickoff -- this avoids having to use any subs you may need....and you can set your formation and lineup before the game starts without any time limitation

14. LasVegasFC

LasVegasFC Walk On

I 100% agree that users should only play using the online rosters and not custom rosters. Once you have practiced making your changes you can set your roster way before the 30 sec deadline.

I don't see this as a big deal at all.

I actually tried to set a custom roster/formation for the club I enjoy playing with and for some reason it didn't even translate to how I prefer it when I manually set it up using the online roster.

Anyone else ever have that problem?

15. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

Basically, if you just get the players you want on the field in your lineup then you can use your first pause to get them in the right positions, formations, kick takers, etc.

16. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

My point is that the game allows you to do this beforehand, and because one or two pr*cks might be abusing that, we have to go through this rigmarole... Formations can be set ahead of time, but kick takers for corners and free kicks, and lineups will all have to be set for each game, again in 30 seconds or wasting one of your limited pauses per match.

I realize I'm spitting into the wind here, and that the decision has been made. It's just a shame that a league founded on the principle of playing the game the way the game should be played needs a rule that basically babysits its owners to ensure they don't cheat...

17. Unfortunately it only takes one rotten apple to spoil a batch...

18. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

/Thinking to myself who the culprit is?

It certainly wasn't Ajax. A whopping 13 goals scored last season.

19. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    For anyone who uses their VP with their league team, this will carry into the games on custom rosters. i had my VP on Udinese at one point, when I played our clubs and random clubs I liked having him there to stay familiar with my team while I boosted my pro, and before league games I had to remove him from the starting lineup down to my reserves. I never considered ratings, but theres a good chance it affected the Udinese team ratings...my pro got up to 89 overall, I'm sure that would boost the standard ratings. Eventually, it just got to be a hassle remembering to move him, I kinda quit on the clubs, and moved my pro to Arsenal so it wasn't an issue. HOPEFULLY, this is the only issue we were actually dealing with and no one was actually boosting real players, but as has been mentioned, there is no way to confirm whether its a VP or an attempt to gain an unfair advantage, but using online rosters will make sure we're on level terms. Its an unfortunately necessary step.

Once you get in a pattern of updating your rosters, you should know what needs changed and it should become a speedier process. At the very least, if you can get your players on the field, you can tweak formations and positions and kick takers in the pause menu without wasting a substitution.

20. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

It takes no time to change formation and couple of players and their positions before the game starts. Sometimes when I check my settings they don`t need to be changed, sometimes I have to change them tho, I think everyone should respect the standarts and obey the rules of seeting up the game, then we should have no problems!!!

21. OhDaesu19

OhDaesu19 Walk On

Lol I can tell you it wasn't me either as I suuuuuck. lol. Heck even if I knew how to boost ratings I'd still suck! Kudos to the team, they did a great job running this league. Looking forward to next season.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  22. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

How do you know that your opponent set up the game right? 10 minutes, semi assisted , online squads, normal speed etc...

23. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

JUST HAD A BRILLIANT IDEA TO ENSURE THAT ONLINE ROSTERS ARE USED.

Go to your Serie team under "edit teams" in the main menu, the same place you use to set up your rosters for "custom rosters" and royally screw the roster up, put all your goalkeepers in at attackers, put attackers as defenders,etc etc. Basically do something so when it comes to set up your roster, you notice the messed up roster loaded and realize that it was the messed up custom one loading because your opponent hit the custom rosters setting.

Cheers!

24. RedAL925

better idea...change the order of your bench. That way your team isn't screwed up if you somehow enter the game, and you know when custom rosters are being used. Almost every team has a player in their reserves that deserves a spot on the bench.

25. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    simplest would be to just move your backup keeper from the bench to reserves. every team in the game by default has a keeper on the bench. if you move him to reserves and have no keeper on your bench, this is all you'd need to look for. if keeper is on the bench its online rosters, if hes not then its custom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.