S4:W2 Vikings v. 49ers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, May 8, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Defense Wins Championships
    [​IMG]
    Minneapolis, MN - If you want to watch an old-school brand of football, your best bet in TLY is a San Francisco-Minnesota match-up. Week 2's game did not disappoint, as both defenses flexed their muscles throughout the game.
    Both offenses struggled in the first half. The Niners compiled a TOTAL of 47 yards in the half. The Vikings would move the ball a little better, but Romo was picked off twice in the half. They got all the way down to the 49ers 3 yard line early in the 2nd quarter, but Gerhart was stuffed on 1st down, and AP was stuffed at the line each of the next three plays for a turnover on downs. After Romo's second INT of the half deep in 49er territory, San Fran would capitalize with their lone TD for the night - a 5-yard TD strike to Vernon Davis in the corner of the end zone as Kaepernick was flushed from the pocket and found him with a nice pass on the run. Score at half - SF: 7, MN: 0.
    The Vikings finally put a scoring drive together to open up the 3rd quarter, and would tie the game on a 6-yard TD pass to 2nd-year WR Brandon Heimuli. The 49ers continued to struggle to move the ball, and after a punt the Vikings found themselves in 49er territory again, but would settle for a 55-yard Walsh FG. Score after 3 quarters - SF: 7, MN: 10.
    This would be all of the scoring for this game. The Niners had a shot late, but a holding penalty brought back a 45-yard screen pass that would have set them up at the Viking 3 yard line. Minnesota got the ball back with 4+ minutes to play, and ran out the clock with two clutch third down conversions.
    Final Score:
    Vikings - 10
    49ers - 7
    Great game Boom29
    Players of the Game:
    Vikings:
    WR Brandon Heimuli - 5 catches, 37 yds, 1 TD
    DT Kevin Williams - 5 tackles, 2 Sacks
    49ers:
    ROLB Aldon Smith - 5 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF
    MLB Patrick Willis - 6 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 FR

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Really good game. Despite the low score you had my defense on its toes all game long. Ever since the first season I've been a mess offensively, thought they weren't as bad as the score would indicate. The holding call on the screen pass was huge. I went from at worst tying the game to being back in my own half with 2nd and long to go.

I hope we meet again down the line, but I'm certain my offense will prevent me from making the playoffs. Good job on the dump offs to your RBs, you could tell I was worrying about your TEs which is what killed me last time we played.