S4 W6: San Francisco 49ers @ St Louis Rams

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, May 23, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011
    Two-in-a-Row for 49ers
    beat Rams in St Louis, 31-10

The 49ers jumped out to a 17-0 first half lead behind a stout defense and efficient play from QB Colin Kaepernick. The scoring opened when Kaepernick hit WR Jameel Sommerfield from 15 yards out on the first drive of the game. After a Rams turnover, San Francisco would strike again, this time on a short TD run by HB Cedric Shepherd. Despite the touchdown, Shepherd was contained for most of the day by the Rams defense, with LB James Laurinitis racking up the tackles.

The third quarter saw St Louis chip away at the lead with a long field goal midway through. Unfortunately for the Rams, their other possessions into San Francisco territory were fruitless. The game got tight in the fourth as St. Louis finally broke through on 4th and goal on a TD pass to TE Cameron Morrah.

With the score 17-10, the 49ers offense was feeling the pressure and was on the verge of giving the ball back to St. Louis in what would have likely been good field position. Facing 3rd and 15, Kaepernick connected with TE Delanie Walker on a 17 yard completion that took the sails off the crowd. The Niners would proceed to march down the field, taking ample time off the clock, before scoring an insurance TD on a 26 yard catch by TE Vernon Davis. The Rams' last hope for victory, was erased with a Donte Whitner INT that was returned for a touchdown.

BrewBomber, good game. The 3rd and 15 conversion late in the fourth was huge. You had all the momentum at that time and my defense was tired. I was just happy to have been able to get out of my own end zone. The fact that I went on to score a TD was a plus.

Notable Stats
    San Francisco 49ers St Louis Rams[/B]
    QB Colin Kaepernick - 18/22, 246 yards, 2 TD, INT QB Matt Flynn - 14/29, 110 yards, TD, 4 INT
    HB Cedric Shepherd - 16 car, 47 yards, TD, long 21 HB Steven Jackson - 13 car, 54 yards, long 13
    TE Vernon Davis - 4 rec, 78 yards, TD, long 26 TE Cameron Morrah - 5 rec, 36 yards, TD, long 16
    WR Jameel Sommerfield - 6 rec, 50 yards, TD, long 15 MLB James Laurinitis - 9 tack
    DE Ray McDonald - 4 tack, 2 sack Darian Stewart - 5 tack, 2 FF
    SS Donte Whitner - 3 tack, INT, TD DeAndre Levy - 7 tack