S4, Week 6

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Ok guys, first thing I'd like to address. You should not have to be asked or reminded to play your game. If you find you are unable to play or just don't want to (I wouldn't advise this) you must let me know. There will be consequences if people continue to miss or have to be reminded to play. Secondly we are returning to 3 day advances.

One user game NC State vs ASU. Advance is Friday at 6pm.

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Nice!

Where's Sparty headed for a bowl?

3. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

UConn on a bye week, however recruiting is finished.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

In real life? Or where do you think I see myself going?....or both?

5. Keller

Well I was asking real life but I looked today when Cimmy invited everyone to the Bowl pickem - Bama... good luck with that.... Predictions from you and @JCspartan2 then?

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Damn, Bama? Actually you never know, I could see Bama not showing up because of such high bowl expectations a la the Sugar Bowl against Utah a couple years back

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

I think we got what it takes. Utilize our three headed running attack and keep our bag of tricks ready to go. If we can keep Ingram and Richardson under wraps and play the coverage we have been then I could see us winning by 10. The loss to Iowa was just exhaustion, we had played 8 straight, now we have a good month to rest up

8. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Northwestern 24
    Auburn 38

Maybe Northwestern thought it could walk into Jordan Hare and get the W by just showing up, but that wasn't the case. Auburn got a few lucky breaks, like on their first score, the Tigers running back fumbled the ball, and WR Chris Hill picked up the ball and ran the rest of the way for a score. In the fourth quarter after Northwestern pulled to within 7, and forced a Tiger punt. All everything QB Denard Robinson fumbled the ball on the four, Tigers ROLB LaDarius Owens picked it up and ran into the endzone. Then after the Northwestern threw the ball down the field and scored a touchdown to pull within 7, Tigers RB Walter Bell broke a 77 yard run for a touchdown to seal the game. Northwestern has Wisconsin and Purdue up next before their big showdown with Michigan State.

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I think MSU wins it too. Blonderedhead hit the nail on the head when he suggested that Bama might not be up for this game. It was a disappointing season for them. MSU will be well rested and healthy, which they were not in their last 4 games. They played the longest stretch of consecutive games of any team in the Big Ten and it showed at the end of the season.

MSU and Dantonio have a lot more to play for than Bama does in this game so I see them coming in fired up. They got snubbed by the BCS despite being conference champs and 11-1. A win against last years National Champ and their former coach would do wonders for national recognition.

I agree with Masler in that the Iowa loss was just the perfect storm of bad football. The team was hurt and exhausted. Cousins was playing with two sprained ankles and a sprained shoulder. The freshman HB Bell had obviously hit a wall and didn't contribute for the last half of the season. Iowa was coming off their bye week. And then during the game everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

For the Bama game: There is no question that MSU will be able to score on Bama, rather the question is whether or not MSU can stop Bama. Alabama has been up and down on both sides of the ball all year. Their secondary is massively suspect but they do have a solid run defense. Bama's two HBs have surprisingly struggled and wont find it any easier to run on Greg Jones and company who only allowed 1 100 yard rusher this season (Iowa's Robinson) and ended John Clay's consecutive 100 yard game streak. It's going to come down to McElroy and Cousins. They are extremely similar QBs, but I give the edge to Cousins in the gamer category. McElroy, however, has Julio Jones to throw to. I see MSU winning a high scoring game by picking off McElroy in the 4th. MSU 35 Bama 28.

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

Nice analysis JC...but Julio Jones hasn't really impressed me much, they know he is their go to guy, so maybe just maybe they will keep an extra eye on him.

Anyway, we still have @Keller @HovaTheGodMC @Big Suge Knight to play. I will be playing at 5pm tonight and advancing immediatey after my game so if you do not play well...I will talk to you about it then.

11. Keller

@MaslerBoros16 - sorry I had an online franchise game I needed to play - I'm geting my haircut here in a bit and afterwards (maybe 3ish) i'll play my game.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sounds good. I know Suge has strange hours, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

13. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Rutgers 42
    Pittsburgh 3

The Scarlet Knights could do nothing wrong in this game, quickly piling up points and giving up nothing. The defense forced 5 fumbles on the day, which helped Rutger's success greatly. Jonathan Edwards had a little over 200 yards passing and 2 TDs. Williams and Thomas had 81 yards and 50 yards rushing, respectively. It is a pleasant surprise for the coaching staff to be 6-0 at this point, as they didn't know what to expect from their very young offensive group. So far, so good.

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

5 fumbles? Jesus

15. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

The sophomore OLB Courtney Wilson is a beast, he forced 3 of them himself. He plays with a chip on his shoulder with his name being 'Courtney' and all...

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

Michigan State 52

Michigan 35

The Spartans took a 21-0 1st quarter lead before Michigan scored the following 14 points to make it a close game. Boisture executed the 2 minute drill to perfection, leading MSU down field to score before halftime and go up 28-14. Michigan scored the only points of the 3rd quarter to once again make it a seven point game. State took another 14 point lead before Michigan finally played some defense and made two unstoppable drives. The Spartans regained the ball with about a minute left, determined not to go into overtime and easily scored. Michigan went 4 and out of the next possession, giving up the ball in MSU's redzone. We tried to run the ball but ended up throwing the ball to try for the first down and ended up with 6 points. Michigan once again went 4 and out where we simply put the ball through the uprights to take the 17 point lead and seal the win. Matt Brown and Joe Boisture were an electric combo today, Brown was seemingly forgotten by the Wolverine defense as he torched them TWICE for a touchdown, the first he was wide open by about 30 yards in every direction and the second the defender got ragdolled before Brown took it 80 yards. Speedy receiver Mumphrey was a redzone master as he caught one TD between three defenders and the other he spun out of a tackle and leaped over another flailing safety. Gholston was also huge on the final drives by Michigan as he sacked Gardner twice on each drive, he finished with 4 tackles.

Michigan State beats the Wolverines for the third year in a row and are now 5-1 (1-1) and still have high hopes for the Rose Bowl, Big Ten Championship and even an outside shot for the crystal ball.

Stats

J. Boisture 21/32, 404yds, 6 TD

N. Hill 18 Att, 121 yds, TD

M. Brown 5 Rec, 202 yds, 2 TD

K. Mumphrey 4 Rec, 40 yds, 2 TD.

W. Gholston 7 Tackles, 4 Sacks, FF

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

N.C. State - 30
    Arizona St. - 28

NC State Upsets #17 Sun Devils in Tempe

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 F
    [​IMG] 0 7 7 14 28
    [​IMG] 3 10 7 10 30

First Quarter

04:06
    FG
    NC State
    Chris Ward P #32 49 yard field goal

Second Quarter

05:41
    TD
    NC State
    James Washington HB #39 84 yard rush

01:19
    TD
    Arizona State
    Damien Williams HB #24 2 yard rush

00:00
    FG
    NC State
    Chris Ward P #32 26 yard field goal

Third Quarter

04:29
    TD
    NC State
    James Washington HB #39 1 yard rush

03:44
    TD
    Arizona State
    George Bell WR #85 78 yard pass from Mike Dixon QB #8

Fourth Quarter

04:07
    FG
    NC State
    Chris Ward P #32 41 yard field goal

02:44
    TD
    Arizona State
    George Bell WR #85 34 yard pass from Mike Dixon QB #8

02:30
    TD
    NC State
    James Washington HB #39 67 yard rush

01:24
    TD
    Arizona State
    JJ Holiday WR #80 14 yard pass from Mike Dixon QB #8

After controlling most of the first 3 quarters, the Wolfpack allowed the Sun Devils to have a couple shots at putting together a game winning drive, but in the end N.C. State was able to hold off Arizona State. N.C. State was led by a phenomenal performance at HB by James Washington, who had 24 carries for 282 yards and 3TD, which allowed the Wolfpack to control the time of possession and dictate the game. ASU QB Mike Dixon threw for 411 yards for the Sun Devils, who came just short.

After going up 20-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, N.C. State was in control. The only positive for ASU was one well played drive that got them a touchdown at the end of the 1st half. The Wolfpack had kept ASU out of scoring range beside that. But a 78 yard touchdown pass brought the Sun Devils with 6, and after a Wolfpack field goal early in the 4th extended it to 9, Arizona State put together another nice drive that ended with a 34 yard touchdown pass, cutting the lead to 23-21.

WIth under 3:00 left, the Sun Devils needed a stop down by 2. Instead, they gave up a 67 yard touchdown run to Washington, leaving them down 9 once more, but with only a couple minutes left. The Sun Devils quickly drove and scored with 1:24 left, but were unable to recover the onside, and after a couple first downs by Washington, the Wolfpack were able to take a knee and get their first win over a ranked team this season.

18. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Sorry I missed the game. I switched to a day shift a couple weeks and as my wife has reminded on several occasions, 'your ass is home less now than it wass before, how is that possible?' The short answer is it is hopefully only temporary so until that time comes I may miss some stuff. I am off until Tuesday so my game this week will be done before tomorrow afternoon.

19. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

For the next few weeks I will be around at odd and sparing times, as I am finalizing all my Army stuff to get ready for deployment to basic training in March but we need to get it all done in the coming weeks so I will be around as much as I can but if I am not that is why. As of January I should be good to go until I leave in March (which is the earliest I would leave)

20. Keller

Capture.JPG
    Maryland breaks stressful streak, wins convincingly 31-13

For the first time in what seems like a month, Maryland finally came out and played in the first quarter.

The first quarter was a lot of poor execution and one big play to emerging playmaking Sophomore WR Chase Brown of the Terrapins. A 68 yard strike down the left sideline gave the Terrapins the early lead just as the first quarter was ending.
    North Carolina answered with a big play of their own on a 61 yard catch and run by WR Stephen Callahan, they then followed it by a 24 yard chip shot field goal. Not to be denied, Chase Brown answered again, this time on a 23 yard laser thrown by QB Devin Burns. The third quarter was all Terrapins, they scored 17 points including the now expected big play by HB Caleb Porzel - he dashed 81 yards for a score late in the quarter and really slammed the door shut on any chance of the Tar Heels mounting a comeback.

The Terps continued to play sound defensively and stuck with the ground game to improve to 31-13. The Terps improved to #11 in the country and 4-1 on the season. Next week they face the Arizona Wildcats (JCspartan2)

QB Devin Burns finish 17-26 for 289 yards 2 TDs and no INTs.
    HB Caleb Porzel finished with 10 carries for 120 yards, most of which coming on the 81 yard touchdown run.
    WR Chase Brown finished with 4 catches for 121 yards and 2 TD's.
    The Terp defense finished with 5 sacks on the day.