(S5) Coppa Tradizione FINAL Preview & Poll

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by Broncos218, May 24, 2012.

?

Who will win the (S5) TFS Coppa Tradizione Final?

Poll closed May 28, 2012.
  1. Werder Bremen (Broncos218)

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Montpellier (vipermansa)

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]
    FINAL Preview & Poll

After solid Coppa runs, we're down to two. Werder Bremen and Broncos218 are in the midst of a Serie A title run and are also looking to claim their second Coppa trophy. Montpellier and vipermansa have earned their second consecutive promotion this season and carry the pride of Serie B into the title match. But who will have the edge?

(Broncos218) WERDER BREMEN ~ MONTPELLIER (vipermansa)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Road to the Final
    To begin, let's review each side's league season and Coppa run.​

Werder Bremen
    Serie A: Currently 4th Place, 8-5-5, 31 GF, 15 GA, +16 GD, 29 points
    Coppa Group A: 1st Place, W 1-0 vs. FC Koln, L 2-3 vs. Palermo, W 3-2 vs. RSC Anderlecht
    Coppa Round of 16: W 2-1 vs. VfL Wolfsburg
    Coppa Quarterfinals: W 5-1 vs. QPR
    Coppa Semifinals: W 3-1 vs. Wolverhampton

Werder Bremen got off to a strong Serie A start and didn't look back. The club came away with some crucial wins and sat atop the table- and power rankings- for weeks. But when the end of season came around, some tougher opponents forced Werder Bremen into draws and losses. Now with one match left in the league season against Wolverhampton, Werder Bremen will need to beat the English side twice, once on Matchday 22 to force a tie atop the table, and again in a potential Serie A title playoff. The club's defense has been their strength this season, as Bremen has allowed only 15 goals this season, second only to RSC Anderlecht's 14 GA in Serie C. In the Coppa, Werder Bremen crusied through the group stage despite a tough drawing, as they defeated FC Koln and RSC Anderlecht. The club disappointed against Palermo, but first place in the group was virtually locked up before the match. Werder Bremen continued through the Coppa with big wins after a close 2-1 win over VfL Wolfsburg, as a 5-1 beating of QPR and a 3-1 victory over last year's finalist in Wolverhampton propelled the German club into this season's Coppa Tradizione Final.

Montpellier
    Serie B: Finished 1st Place, 13-3-2, 51 GF, 25 GA, +26 GD, 42 points
    Coppa Group F: 1st Place, W 3-1 vs. Fiorentina, W 2-1 vs. TSG Hoffenheim, W 2-0 vs. Bolton
    Coppa Round of 16: W 3-1 vs. SC Braga
    Coppa Quarterfinals: W 1-0 vs. Spartak Moscow
    Coppa Semifinals: W 2-1 vs. RSC Anderlecht

After a dominating debut season in Serie C back in Season 4 and a trip to the Coppa semifinals, Montpellier came back hungry for something better in Season 5. The club won this season's Serie B title, with only one other club finishing within 10 points of the French side. The club's bread and butter was their offense, as the club's 51 goals led all teams in the Serie leagues. When it came to the Coppa, as was questioned last season, it was debatable to to whether Montpellier's style of play could be picked apart by some of the more experienced players. But despite a difficult Group F, Montpellier dominated with 2 wins over Serie A sides Fiorentina and TSG Hoffenheim, along with a clean sheet victory over Bolton. After securing first place in their group, the road to the Final didn't get any easier. A much improved SC Braga team fell to Montpellier 3-1, followed by Serie A standout Spartak Moscow losing 1-0. Montpellier then faced off against Serie C champion RSC Anderlecht, and downed the soon to be promoted club 2-1 to earn a trip to the Final. But while Montpellier won their league and took a step forward this season by reaching the Coppa Final, will they leave room for improvement next season, or seize the cup while they can?

Match Analysis
    To analyze the two clubs, we'll preview the projected starting lineups from each team to break down where the strengths and weaknesses may lie.​

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Goalkeepers
    Werder Bremen: Tim Wiese​
    Montpellier: Geoffrey Jourdren​
    One of the best keepers ability-wise in all the Serie leagues is Tim Wiese. The keeper who represented Germany as a backup keeper in the 2010 World Cup is able to knock away shots that would go in against many other less-talented keepers. Wiese has shown strong form this season, as he leads Serie A with 7 clean sheets through 18 games. Jourdren has improved from last season and is currently projected to win the Silver Glove award for the Coppa with a pair of clean sheets. But despite improvement from last season, Jourdren still has a ways to go before reaching Wiese's level.
    Advantage: Werder Bremen

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Defenders
    Werder Bremen: Clemens Fritz, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Naldo, Lukas Schmitz​
    Montpellier: Garry Bocaly, Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa, Hilton, Henri Bedimo Nsame​
    Captain Clemens Fritz leads the German defense along with stud center-back Naldo. Naldo has been the centerpiece in Bremen's defense, often coming away with critical tackles and game-saving blocks. Sokratis has done great ever since Andreas Wolf left the club in the previous transfer window, while Lukas Schmitz does a great job in complementing Marko Marin along the left wing. Yanga-M'Biwa, Montpellier's captain and best defender, commands the backline for the French club. The other three defenders are quite steady, creating a balanced backline. However, one concern for the French side is their lack of size. While the two center backs are each 6 feet tall, only one other starting outfielder surpasses them, creating an undersized squad. And when it comes down to ranking the two defenses, you have to go with the side with the best defender that also allows a Serie A-low 15 goals. The Bremen brick wall will look to force poor shots and keep the potent Montpellier offense away from easy goals.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Midfielders
    Werder Bremen: Philipp Bargfrede, Aleksandar Ignjovski, Mehmet Ekici, Aaron Hunt, Marko Marin​
    Montpellier: Joris Marveaux, Geoffrey Dernis, Younes Belhanda​
    In the midfield, Werder Bremen stacks the area with 5 players- 2 defensive and 3 offensive. Ever since switching to a formation with 2 defensive mids at the beginning of the season, new starter Ignjovski has played well off of Bargfrede. The two also are pivotal in attacking play too, as they have the ability to feed the frontmen and even work in a shot or two. Mehmet Ekici and Aaron Hunt are solid as attacking midfielders, but the engine is Marko Marin. With a transfer to Chelsea on the horizon, there was a reason the English club coveted the Bremen star. Marin has excellent dribbling technique and passing skills that open up the attack for Werder Bremen. In Serie A, Marin leads the league with 9 assists. As for Montpellier, defensive midfielder Joris Marveaux is a quality defensive midfielder, while Dernis and Belhanda do a fine job of setting up the club's playmakers in attack. Belhanda, the second-highest rated player on Montpellier, will need to make his presence felt in the midfield- especially with the club already outnumbered in midfield. Considering Werder Bremen has a a variety of options in setting up attacks and providing help on defense, the edge has to go to them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Forwards
    Werder Bremen: Claudio Pizarro​
    Montpellier: Souleymane Camara, Olivier Giroud, John Utaka​
    Both teams have talented forwards that have contributed to much of each club's success. Claudio Pizarro has been a one-man wrecking crew in his first season as a lone striker. Pizarro, also perhaps the most talented player on the pitch, has scored a Serie A-leading 18 goals this season. He is also tied with the lead for most Coppa goals with 6. But while the quality of Bremen's striker may be better than that of the opposition, the quantity and production from Montpellier's three-headed monster has torn apart defenses on a nightly basis. Olivier Giroud leads Serie B with an astonishing 29 goals, more than 19 teams through the Serie leagues alone. Camara has been the man assist man, contributing 22 assists in all matches for the French side. John Utaka has played a more balanced role between goals and assists, utilizing his speed to blow past defenders at will. The three forwards for Montpellier each specialize in different facets of the game, creating a dynamic trio up front. The fate of the match may very well lie in their hands.
    Advantage: Montpellier

Past Matchups
    With Broncos218 in Serie A and vipermansa having only competed in Serie B & C, the two have never met in league or cup play. Furthermore, inside intelligence tells us that the two have never even gone head-to-head in a friendly match. With both teams unfamiliar with each other, any early adjustments could prove to be vital.​

Prediction
    Since I'm in the final, I'll leave it up to the rest of you to judge who will win this one. Make your pick in the poll here in this thread, and feel free to post your reasoning below.

• Like Like x 3
  2. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Really tough matchup to call here. I've got to stick with Serie A though, I'm feeling a 2-1 AET win for Bremen

3. shiftee

shiftee Walk On

After playing Broncos at least 10 times since season 1 of FIFA 11... I have to give the edge to him in this one.

4. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

I voted for vipermansa , but I thought about it again and viper can score easily but at the same time he is not as good on his defense. On the other hand Broncos218 has a standard in both ends of the pitch. It is really a tough game. It might easily be 4-0 for Broncos or it might turn out to be 3-4 for viper. I wish we could spectate this game like you can COD. They really should add that to Fifa 2013 and also I would love to have the feature to be able to change jersies in half time or even before the game starts. ( that is not the subject but I just remembered those 2 things sorry ) :) . Good luck to both of you guys.

5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

First time I haven't played a final :(

Think that Broncos will win this. Always believe a dominant defense can shut out a potent offense.

6. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

I made this same point in the FIFA 13 thread. I'd love to be able to spectate games. If there's a way to do it without compromising the server capability of the two players, this is definitely something EA should implement in 13...

• Like Like x 1
  7. BESHIKTAS

You guys are gonna need to save every single highlight and turn it in to a big highlight of the game :) . A lot of fans are expecting this from you guys :) . Broncos218 will be playing 2 very important games back to back. That might put some pressure on him, or motivate him. He can win 2 cups in a week or lose 2
    cups in a week. No matter what happens I want to say congratulations brother. You did an outstanding job!!!

8. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

If you can show me how to make a reel, I'd could maybe do it. Or at least i'll upload a bunch of replays

9. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

if vipermansa can score early, I think he can take this. However, if Broncos218 scores first, I think it will be tough to make a comeback. So...... in summary, however scores 1st is going to take this. I don't see either team capable of making a comeback if they get down a goal.

10. shiftee

shiftee Walk On

if either of you have a webcam and a good internet connection then the game could be broadcasted :)

11. BESHIKTAS

I know the score :)

12. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

I scored first, then he tied, I scored again late and then he tied it late.......
    He battled well and I should have thought more defensive after going ahead in the 83rd, especially when he paused it to change his game plan.....
    I wasnt thinking and he punished me with fresh attackers

It was a hell of a game though and a shame that only 3 highlights were available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.