(S8) Coppa Confederazione Quarterfinals Preview

Discussion in 'TSL Cup' started by Zikry, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Claven (3rd in Serie C; 5-4-3; Round of 16 Result: W 2-0 vs Genoa)
    RedAL925 (7th in Serie A; 5-4-6; Round of 16 Result: W 4-2 vs PSV Eindhoven)

As is the theme in the Tradizione bracket, this is the classic Serie A vs C battle. Ajax will host LOSC Lille in a game where the Dutch giants will be looking to surprise the French team and their manager. In order for Ajax to do so they will have to stop Dimitri Payet, who absolutely torched PSV in the previous round to the tune of 3 goals in the 4-2 win. Ajax's wingbacks will have to be at their absolute best defensively in order to limit the opportunities for the 3 players upfront for Lille, trying to limit their opportunities at attacking the wings in this game. If Ajax are to get the upset result here they will have to be sound defensively, trying to frustrate the more illustrious French side with the hopes of using the counter-attack to nick a goal. The home crowd will be up for this game as this seems to be their "game of the season" so far; however I think the French side's overall quality will end up being the difference, with Payet proving to be a menace to his opposition once again.

Prediction: LOSC Lille 3-1

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

Ajax will host PSV? I'm confused!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

My brain went to sleep when I was writing this up...

4. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Isaac Oyer (6th in Serie B; 5-2-4)
    krtgolfing (3rd in Serie B; 6-4-4)

This matchup pits two teams in the same division, so they should be familiar to each other's play which makes this game intriguing. Frankfurt made it through the Round of 16 with a forfeit win, so it is hard to know how the team will do in this game. The team struggled in group qualifying finishing with only 1 point and a last placed finish in Group B, so they have yet to win a game on the pitch in this year's coppa. However, with Serie B safety seemingly guaranteed, the team could look at this game as their chance towards getting some silverware, and could make a run in this competition. Their opponents, Spartak, beat a fellow Serie B team in Stuttgart 2-1 to make it to the quarterfinals. Emenike scored the winner in that game and he will once again be the difference in this game.

In these team's two Serie B games, the result has been a draw with the teams sharing the spoils 0-0 in Moscow before ending their Frankfurt encounter 1-1. Both teams will be familiar with each other and this will most likely end up being a game that is settled by 1 goal. I think both teams look to play it safe here and in a game that could easily make it into extra time and penalties, I see Spartak as the eventual winners here.

Prediction: Spartak 1-0

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Great Write up Zikry!! I am predicting Pk's!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

Lille:3
    Ajax:0

Frankfurt:2
    Spartak:3

Here are my predictions for these 2 games.

I am actually surprised to see a 0-0 draw between Frankfurt and Spartak, since both managers love to play attack. This game being a cup game may influence them to let loose the back side a little more than a league game which is going to reflect the scoreboard. I am expecting a game with more than 4-5 goals in total.

Lille will fly thru with an easy win. Sorry Claven, but as much as I would like a Serie B or C team to go all the way and win this cup, I don`t see Lille letting this one go. RedAL925 is my favorite side to finish this cup as the winner.

Good luck to you all !!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG]

UcanHateMeNow (11th in Serie B; 2-3-7)
    MiaFLSurf (2nd in Serie B; 7-6-2)

The third of our previews is all an Serie B affair once again, as Hamburg host Aston Villa. Hamburg's season hasn't been the best as of yet, as they find themselves in the thick of a relegation battle that they will be looking to get themselves out of. With that in mind the home team could look upon this game as one of "lesser" importance, as they focus on staying in Serie B; or they could look at it as a way to give their fans a night to remember, by knocking out the favorite in this matchup. The team can take some solace in the fact that they were able to come away with a point when these teams met in Villa Park in league play, drawing 2-2 in a match where they were able to come back from a 2-0 deficit. That game will surely be on the mind of both coaches when they meet up in this coppa clash.

Aston Villa have been playing some great football this season, but have been mired with too many draws in league play. With only 2 losses to their name so far in Serie B, the team has made quite the splash after their promotion from Serie C a season ago as they look to gain promotion to Serie A. With Agbonlahor and Bent, the team has, quite possibly, the fastest and most lethal duo in Serie B, and they will look to continue their excellent play in this cup match. Villa were able to put a dominating performance in the previous round with a comprehensive 4-0 win over Wigan, while Hamburg were able to get by Atl. Mineiro 2-1. I think Aston Villa will come into this game knowing what Hamburg are capable of after that 2-2 draw in season play and will look to "avenge" that game which looked like a certain victory for the English side. Hamburg will get on the scoresheet here, but the Villa attack will be too much for the German hosts.

Prediction: Aston Villa 3-1

8. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG]

hokie79 (9th Serie A; 2-5-7)
    pitt4life21 (10th Serie C; 0-1-12)

The last of our quarterfinal games encapsulates the romance of the cup as Serie veretan hokie and his strong Marseille side take on SC Braga and their rookie head coach. Marseille were able to get into the quarterfinals with a 2-1 win over Galatasaray while SC Braga was given the 3-0 forfeit win over West Ham. This has been a rough season for Braga as they get used to life in Serie play but their coach has stuck with them and will look to use this game as a springboard for better results next season. In a game where no one will give Braga much of a chance this would be the perfect opportunity for the team to rally amongst themselves and look to pull off the cup shock here by beating Marseille. The French club haven't been having a great season either, as they find themselves in the midst of a relegation battle as we speak; however, with the resignation of Stoke City's manager Marseille will be breathing a sigh of relief as they can now focus on getting out of the 10th spot in Serie A and aiming for at least the 9th spot which would guarantee their safety. Look for Marseille to come into this game with their minds on their league position, which will lead to a shaky first half, but they should eventually pull through and set up a semifinal meeting with either Ajax or Lille.

Prediction: Marseille 3-0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.