(S9) Game of the Week

Discussion in 'TSL B' started by Zikry, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Seeing as I have some free time on my hands I will start doing these for the game that stands out during each matchweek. I hope to preview every team at least once by the time this season is over.

2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 4
    [​IMG] VS. [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    While the matchweek 5 game between Saint-Etienne and Corinthians will pit 1st vs 2nd in the league, this game will feature two of the more offensive minded owners in the league, and I expect some fireworks in this one. A_Touch_Of_Class has picked up this season where he left the last one; going 3 for 3 and not conceding a single goal in those first three games. The offense has chipped in with 7 goals so far (including a 4-0 win to start the year) so all seems to be going according to plan for the French side. If there is some cause for concern for the club it would be the 1-0 loss in the coppa, which came off a headed goal by an Atalanta defender off a corner kick. With PSV's size and strength up front it will be interesting to see how the French team deals with the aerial threat of this Dutch team.​
    PSV and redwings8831 have started the season out well, with a 2-0-1 record to start off the season which has them in 3rd place as of this preview. The team's one loss came in Brazil at the hands of Corinthians, who are currently 2nd in the table, so PSV will try to prove that they belong amongst the promotion contenders with this early season showdown against Saint-Etienne. In order to do so PSV will have to stop the lightning speed of Max Gradel (who has 3 league goals so far) and the always lethal Pierre Aubamayang (2 goals so far). These two players are the key to the French team's offense and while a player like Hamouma should not be underestimated, it is the Gradel-Pierre connection that makes this team click. Attacking wise, Ola Toivonen was able to open his account this season with a brace in the team's last game; a 2-1 win over Marseille, and he will need to be at his very best if PSV are to get anything out of this game.​
    KEY MATCHUP
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kurt Zouma vs Tim Matavz​
    In a game where both offenses will be spotlighted; it is this matchup that will prove to be the key battle of the game. Kurt Zouma leads a defense that has yet to give up a league goal and he, along with his fellow defenders, will hope this continues against PSV. On the other side, Matavz will need to get the better of Zouma in the aerial battles as Eindhoven look to use his height to their advantage.
    PREDICTION
    In this early season showdown it is tough to look past this Saint-Etienne side. Winning away from home is never easy and I believe PSV would be happy with a draw here. If PSV are able to impose their will early then this game will be tightly-contested throughout; however if Saint-Etienne are able to gain an early advantage I fear for the Dutch team who will leave spaces in the back as they chase the game. I think Saint-Etienne's goal will finally get penetrated in this one, but that will not stop the French team from grabbing a 2-1 win here.​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 5
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]
    Preview
    Looks like this coming week will be Saint-Etienne's "show-me" time as they once again feature in the GOTW. After their home game against 3rd placed PSV in matchday 4, the French side will take the long trip to Brazil to face Corinthians; the 2nd placed team in Serie B currently. This matchup features two of the 3 undefeated teams left in Serie B (that have played all 3 games) and will be a chess match between the two stingiest defenses in the league. With only 1 goal given up between them in 6 games, this game really could come down to whoever is able to break down the opposition's defense first.​
    This matchup will be about the two strikers; Alexander Pato of Corinthians and Pierre Aubamayang of Saint-Etienne. Pato has started the season on fire, scoring all 4 of his team's league goals to date. He has quickly adjusted to life back in Brazil and as long as he can stay healthy, will be a force to be reckoned with this season and is dooz go to guy. Pierre Aubamayang is coming off a record-breaking Serie C campaign, and A_Touch_Of_Class will be looking towards him in hopes that he can unlock the Brazilian defense in this encounter.​
    Prediction
    This game has draw written all over it as both teams will not want to give up all 3 points here. Given that it is still early in the season I think both owners would be happy with a draw, as they look to keep within touching distance of each other at the top of the table. If there is to be a winner here then the odds-on favorite scoreline is 1-0 for either side.​

• Like Like x 5
  4. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

No longer burdened with banging the owners daughter... he has gotten rid of his sea legs!

5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 6
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    At the end of last season it seemed like thebouncer24 finally had his team clicking, as he rattled of an impressive run with some quality wins. It was no shock to see him stick with Atl Mineiro for one more year, and with a 1-2-0 record to start the year; along with an impressive draw against shiftee in the Coppa, this team is undefeated heading into week 2. The team currently sits in 4th place, and while they are undefeated to start the season, they will certainly be looking to turn those 1 point draws into 3 point wins. Diego Tardelli has started the year in fine fashion, recording 1 goal and 1 assist, while Jo continues to lead the line for the team with 2 goals in league play. Add to that the living legend that is Ronaldinho and you have a team that can matchup with any team in the division.​
    Marseille's season hasn't started out quite as they expected as a switch in management has led to a slow start in league play. 3 defeats to start the season is not what Go Devils had in mind and it seems like the offense needs to pick up the slack in these next 3 games as the French squad looks to gain some momentum. The schedule makers gave Marseille no breaks whatsoever to start the season, as their first 3 games were against Saint-Etienne, Corinthians and PSV, who are the top 3 in Serie B currently. 2 of those 3 losses came by a single goal while the 2-0 loss to Saint-Etienne was a game that was tied 0-0 at halftime. The coach will try to rally his team behind the idea that their season starts this week, and with the quality players on the squad I expect them to start rolling.​
    KEY PLAYERS
    [​IMG] VS. [​IMG]
    Ronaldinho Valbuena​
    The key in this game will be which of these attack-minded midfielders is able to control the game. Both of these players are key cogs to their team, and both will be relied upon to try and open up the opposition's defense. Combined, they have only had a hand in one of their team's goals so far (1 Ronaldinho assist) so look for both of these players to start trying to impose their will this week.​
    PREDICTION
    Atl. Mineiro will have home field advantage here but Marseille will be desperate for some points. I can see both of these teams battling it out to a draw and with all the offense both these teams have 0-0 seems an unlikely score. Give me a 2-2 battle here as both teams will take the point and move on.​

• Like Like x 4
  6. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

A_Touch_Of_Class looks to feature again next week; but which game should be previewed? Game against 3-0-0 UcanHateMeNow and his Hamburg team, or game against 4-2-0 2nd place team thebouncer24 's Atl. Mineiro?

7. UcanHateMeNow

UcanHateMeNow 3rd Coast born that means we're Texas raised

1st vs 2nd place is always good. My start is fools gold and Im sure my form will come back to earth soon.

8. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 7
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    The biggest question in this game will be if it even gets played as LasVegasFC only has 1 game played this season so far. It is hard to really know how well the Coppa champions will do this year due to their lack of games; with their only result being a 1-0 home loss to Atl. Mineiro. As seen last year this team is not to be taken lightly, and with the Brazilian duo of Diego and Naldo, along with the Portuguese midfielder Vieirinha; this team is a danger to even the best teams in Serie play. Speaking of Brazilians, ezio has had his struggles adjusting to a new team and Serie B, as his Fluminense side has 1 point in 5 games played so far. As with most Brazilian teams, the defense has been poor to start the year, with the team's 2.40 goals against average being the worst in Serie B. In order for this team to be successful there must be an emphasis in defending as a team. ​
    KEY MATCHUP
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Naldo (Wolfsburg) Fred (Fluminense)​
    Fred has been a bright spot for Fluminense to start the season, as he has scored 2 of the team's 3 goals to start league play. Opposing him in this game will be 6'6'' Naldo; who's defensive prowess has been a feature in Serie play ever since his days with Werder Bremen with Broncos218 as his coach. If Fred is able to somehow get the better of the Brazilian giant then Fluminense will be able to get the chances needed to win this game. However, if the Brazilian defender is able to impose his will on Fred then he may single-handedly be the reason behind a home win in this one.​
    PREDICTION
    Wolfsburg need to get their season started, while Fluminense need to start seeing some positive results. This game might be a cagey affair to start, but I think Naldo might be the difference here. Watch for him to take control defensively and even get the chance to get a goal off a corner for Wolfsburg. Give me the 2-1 home win here as the stays close throughout.​

• Like Like x 4
  9. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 8
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    This was the standout fixture of the entire week as 2nd placed thebouncer24 and his Atl. Mineiro squad hosts A_Touch_Of_Class and his 1st place St. Etienne team. Both teams have completed all 6 of their games so far and are separated by a single point; so the outcome of this clash will prove vital for both teams in their push for the title. ​
    Atl. Mineiro comes into this game as one of only two undefeated teams left in Serie B. With 4 wins and 2 draws, the team has started off the season well, but will be looking towards keeping this up as they look to stay in contention for a promotion at the end of the year. In a team filled with good players, Jo stands above the rest with his great start in league play. His 6 goals give him the league lead, while his 3 assists have him tied with team-mate Tardelli for tops in the league as well. Having a hand in 9 of his team's 12 league goals means he has been the focal point of the offense so far, and will be looked upon to deliver the goods yet again in this encounter.​
    Saint Etienne, and their manager, will come into this game with something to prove. Their last game against Brazilian opposition did not go well; as that 1-0 loss to Corinthians is the only league loss for the team so far. In fact, it is the only game in which the French squad did not collect all 3 points in league play. With 15 points in 6 games, Saint Etienne hold a 1 point lead over Atl. Mineiro, and a 2 point game over Hamburg; who they also play this week in matchday 7. This looks to be a week where the French team can really send a message to the rest of the league with wins over both of those squads. On the flip side, both Hamburg and Atl. Mineiro have the opportunity to measure up their skills against the odds-on "favorite" for the Serie B title. In order for Saint Etienne to be successful here they will need Max Gradel and Aubameyang to deliver the goods as they both have 3 goals in league play with 4 other players all chipping in with 1 goal so far. Will the Brazilians be able to cope with Gradel's speed? That seems to be the key in this game.​
    PREDICTION
    I like a score draw here; 1-1 to be more precise. Both teams have great offensive players and I can't seem to picture a game where one of these teams don't find the back of the net. A draw in this game would set both teams up nicely for when they face each other once again later in the season.​

• Like Like x 1
  10. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

1-1 draw....more like 3-0 ASSE : )

11. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

That's why it's called a "prediction". I didn't see you replying on here when I predicted a draw between you and Corinthians and you let me down :(

12. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

yup..gotta completely change the way i play..won't work vs you..good game, sorry it wasn't a match Zikry I made your GOTW a fail.

13. thebouncer24

he likes to brag on his wins :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

Gotta predict better my friend

15. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

(y)

16. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Since ATOC seems to think predictions have to be true; I'll be skipping that portion of the previews from now on :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

No way... it's awesome. Keep doing it

18. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 9
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    This is a game between the 2nd and 4th placed teams in Serie B, and with Corinthians having a game in hand, this is a very important game for both teams as they look to get into the top 3. Corinthians has 11 points in their first 6 games of the league and have only lost once to start the season. Similarly, Hamburg have also only lost once and that was at the hands of Saint Etienne as they currently have 14 points in 7 games played. The most interesting thing about Corinthians seems to be their complete reliance on Alex Pato for their goals. In 6 games the team has 6 goals, and every single one of them has been scored by the ex-Milan man. In order for this team to be successful Guerrero is going to need to step up and give Pato a reliable "second fiddle"; or else the better teams will be able to shut down and frustrate this Corinthians team by keying in on Pato.​
    Hamburg have been in scintillating form to start the year and while it is expected that Rafael van der Vaart has played a big role with his 4 goals and 1 assist so far; it has been the unexpected play of Heung-Min Son that has the Hamburg faithful dreaming of promotion. Son has 4 goals to start the year and has also stepped in with 1 assist so far; however, 3 of his goals came in one game in his coming out party against PSV Eindhoven. Will Son be able to find the back of the net against other teams, or will his 1 goal against 6 teams not named PSV Eindhoven put the burden of scoring on the shoulders of van der Vaart?​

PREDICTION
    I will go out on a limb here and not only predict the final of the game, but a certain goal scorer. I think Paulo Guerrero gets his first goal of the season here, however Hamburg's fire power is able to nick the German side a point here in a 1-1 draw.​

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

I was only joking, who cares what ATOC thinks! :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Matchday 10
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PREVIEW
    Both teams make their debut in the GOTW writeups as this game stands out as one that both teams will look upon to collect some points in and try to move away from the danger zone. Claven has his Ajax team in 7th place right now with 8 points in 6 games. With a 2-2-2 record and a +2 goal difference so far, the team has been the epitome of a mid-table squad so far. However, with only 3 points separating them from 4th place, Ajax could possibly be looking at this game as a chance to move up the table. Sigporsson has been the best attacking option for the team so far as his 4 goals leads de Jong's tally of 3, but Cristian Eriksen has been surprisingly quiet so far in Serie B play. Eriksen has yet to find the back of the net so far and has tallied only 2 assists in 6 games. Being one of the hottest young commodities in Europe I am sure Cristian will be looking to improve on his current showing, and once he is able to link up with De Jong, Lukoki and Sigporsson, the Ajax attack will be in full flow and will be one of the best in the league. ​
    Frenchie1916 finds himself in a similar position with Stuttgart as they try to fight off relegation for the umpteenth time in their history. The team "should" be able to stay in the division, especially with the recent news of Ein. Frankfurt losing their manager; however I know that Frenchie will be looking to try and make some moves up the table and not settle for a bottom half finish. The main problem with the team has always been the offense, and this season is no different as they have scored 5 goals in 6 games as their 0.86 goals per game average is second worst in Serie B. If you look even closer at their games then the stats become even more despairing as they have been shut out in 3 of their 6 games; with 4 of their 5 goals scored being in two 2-2 draws. So when the team is able to score, they can't defend, but when they defend like they are capable of, they can't score. If the team is able to find some sort of stability and fluidity between their attack and defense then they could beat anyone. ​
    PREDICTION
    Lukoki (assuming he lines up on the right) against Cristian Molinaro will be the key matchup in this game. If the ex-Juve defender can limit Lukoki's opportunities then Stuttgart will have a chance at shutting down the Ajax attack, however if the speedy Dutch-Congolese winger is able to get by the Italian fullback then that will spell trouble for the Germans. In a game where both teams are looking to gain some momentum, give me the home side in a close 2-1 game. ​

• Like Like x 5
  21. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

I've been pretty intrigued with matches like the two games above where one team was in B last season and the other in C. Outside of ATOC, the other 5 teams that earned promotion were so close at the end of the season, and the people that remained in B were too. So it's interesting seeing the two groups merging together and seeing just how some of the newer people stack up against the vets.

• Like Like x 1
  22. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

They don't to be true, but they do have to be believable. If there is a clear favorite in the preview the prediction should match it. So if it's the Patriots are playing the Dolphins you don't predict it to be 21-20 NE. You make it sim like 28-7 NE. Same on here, thats all (y)

23. thebouncer24

basically what he is saying is if you pick ASSE in a prediction you need ASSE to win by at least 3, I believe this is where he is going.

• Like Like x 3
  24. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

lol not necessarily by 3 but as the favorite ASSE should be getting the W (y)

25. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Last recap of week will be up later tonight; hopefully game isn't played before then!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.