S9 Playbooks and Scholarships

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

SMU:
    O: Spread Option
    D: 3-4/4-3 mult

14 schollies

3. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Clemson

Off: Spread
    Def: 3-4 w/some 3-3-5 sets

20 scholarships

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Masler

Masler Moderator

If you wouldn't mind could you make the base of your defense 3-4? 3-3-5 is frowned upon at the base but I have no issue with the formations being there.

5. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

The base is 3-4. The 3-3-5 is used as a bridge between 3-4 and 3-2-6.

EX. 2nd-4 and offense comes out in a 3 WR set. It plays like a 3-4 with the additional SS for better pass defense.

Masler

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It's still frowned upon. No matter what you use it for

7. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

He just said I could have some of the formations, just not as the base.

If I use the 3-3-5 it's usually "Okie" which looks exactly/plays exactly like a 3-4. The only difference is you substitute #2 MLB for #2 SS and it shows a single high safety look.

Masler if I interpreted this wrong please let me know.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

UofC knows all about the 335. He started this release running the 335 but after 2 seasons he finally got tired of everyone bitching and complaining about his 335 that he finally switched just to shut us all up. If you're gonna run the 335 I'm sure you're gonna get bitching and moaning too as the 335 can be way more effective in this game than it would be in real life.

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It's the same thing as using adjustments. There is good reasoning to use such a thing but they are frowned upon as unsim and isn't tolerated too mych

10. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

I only run two 3-3-5 formations. The primary one I run is 3-3-5 Okie. As I said before it plays/looks like a 3-4 (see above).

The other is 3-3-5 Stack. I don't run this very much, but it is an option.

[​IMG]

I will play it by ear as far as how my user games go. I've never had any real complaints before, but I will follow the commissioners directions regarding formations.

11. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Just giving you a heads up. No one here wants that shit.

12. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Huh? A little more specifics.

I've never heard of this. Additionally the commish said it was okay.

I won't run stack, but I will run "Okie". It's the same damn thing as my 3-4 base.

13. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

He said don't use 335... That's what you're missing. He said 335 is frowned upon. So don't use it. Don't see what you're missing.

14. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

This is exactly what he said verbatim: "If you wouldn't mind could you make the base of your defense 3-4? 3-3-5 is frowned upon at the base but I have no issue with the formations being there."

I took that to mean that the 3-3-5 cannot be your base defense. He said "I have no issue with the formations being there." Which I took to mean you can have some of those formations in your playbook.

Honestly just need Masler to weigh in.

15. Masler

Masler Moderator

It is frowned upon as a base. I have a 3-3-5 in my Nickel Package and rarely use it. That said he should use it very sparingly, maybe twice a game. I allowed aaron to do the same thing woth the 4-2-5 because he didnt have it as a base and was smart with it. If you want the formations I am fine with that too, be smart with it. I just said no to the base because it drove people nuts

16. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Roger that. Copy all.

17. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That's not what everyone here said. No one wanted any part of it here. Even just sparingly. The fact that the okie can easily stop any running plays (which is why jello hated it vs me). That's what everyone disliked. The 335 in nickel is completely different than the 335 defenses.

18. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Not trying to start hate and discontent. Just a healthy debate.

First off I don't think the 3-3-5 Okie can stop running plays anymore than any other defense. In fact it is more susceptible due to the 2nd SS being less of a force against the run than a 2nd MLB. I was in another league where one of the top users was 85% run option. He had 3 or 4 games where his QB had 150+ yards running the ball against every form of 3-man front you can think of (3-4, 3-3-5) etc.

Secondly if I was you at the time I would have said that if you stop running the read option then I will stop running the 3-3-5 (or whatever they were griping about). If anything is overpowered in this year's game it's the read option (which I run from time to time) and closely followed by route mirroring 2-man under.

I have no problems with people running read option because it can be stopped, just like you can run on the 3-3-5 Okie.

Just food for thought.

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

I have allowed bigrice to do this since he joined and not one complaint. Aaron posted every season that he had 4-2-5 which is worse than 3-3-5 and i never got a complaint either. Todd should not be using this like it is his base, he should use it appropriately and like I said 2 or 3 times a game is the limit to stay sim and to force mix up playcalling

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Like I said, I got ultra hate. Be ready for it. You're gonna get it

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

And if he does, no more 3-3-5.

22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That's what I thought it was once I was "forced" off 335. Just a bit bitter that its semi allowed again.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

Didn't I say you could do it too?

24. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It's too damn late now! Haha

25. Masler

Masler Moderator

Lol. It's just a matter of being smart really. If he comes out in 3-3-5 every single 2nd-4 then yea I'll rethink. A big reason for me changing my mind is that the interest in NCAA has dropped as we all know so the rules need to be altered to help interest.