(S9) Season Preview

Discussion in 'TSL A' started by Broncos218, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

After reading thru Frenchie1916 's Serie C preview, and HokieNYC no longer around to do his Inside the Serie A :(, I thought now would be the perfect time for a Serie A Season 9 preview (Serie B, step it up!). But rather than dive into the entire league immediately, I figured we might as well stretch things out a bit up until the start of the season. So with that in mind, I'll be posting a blurb of a team each day for the next 12 days, starting with my projected #12 finisher on down to who I'm projecting to take home the next Serie A crown. And with that, onto Season 9's Serie A outlook!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

[​IMG]

CELTIC

Projected Finish: 12

Sorry smooth, but The Bhoys look be fighting the relegation battle in Season 9. This upcoming season will mark BigSmooth's first season in Serie A. But the only reason the Scottish club got promoted is due to the fact that 4 managers from last season's Serie A dropped out. BigSmooth first joined TFS back in Season 3 and won the Serie C title in Season 4, but has been stuck in Serie B for the past 4 seasons. Celtic narrowly missed relegation in Season 7 with a 10th place finish in Serie B, but an improvement in play and a 4th place finish last season saw the club win promotion. Yet despite the 4th place finish, it marked the third consecutive year of a negative goal differential for the manager. Another improvement in play is a must for the club, and despite a win over Udinese in last season's Coppa knockout stage, Celtic will need a lot more magic in order to stay up in the top-flight for another season.

Best Player: GK Fraser Forster (77 ovr)

The English keeper led Serie B in clean sheets last season with 7 and will need some more impressive performances for Celtic again this season. With Celtic only being rated 3.5*, Serie A opposition will surely be looking to pick apart the defense's weaknesses. It will likely be up to Forster to at times single-handedly earn Celtics some points.

Player to Watch: CM Victor Wanyama (75 ovr)

The versatile Wanyama, who can play in the midfield or at center back, has the speed (75), strength (88) and height (6'2'') to match up against anyone. In order to stop the multi-dimensional teams in Serie A, Wanyama will be called upon often to keep attackers away from the net. Also a good passer, Wanyama has the ability to build up attacks starting from the back.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 8
  2. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

BigSmooth33 is not an owner you want to overlook. Doesn't make mistakes and can finish. Since he's been with Celtic from the start, he knows that team backwards and forwards. Glad he is here in Serie A.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Yeah... Thanks for the vote of confidence but I do NOT have the offense to hang with the big guys in A and the fact that I arguably play with the lowest rated team in all of TFS, I'm not expecting a long stay on the top shelf.

4. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]

LYON

Projected Finish: 11

There was no doubting how well Gator played with Sporting CP last season, as the Portuguese club clearly played like a top-2 team in Serie B. And now with Lyon, the players on the field may be even better. But despite recent good form and a strong roster, it would be short-sighted to forget about Gator's Serie A struggles in the past. In 8 TFS seasons, Gator has competed in Serie A 5 times. Yet each time, the manager has averaged less than a point per game. When playing well, Gator can certainly play with the best of them, but he has struggled in the past to capture that form for an entire season in the top flight. Now entering his 6th season in Serie A, the manager will need to show something more if he is to fight off relegation once again.

Best Player: ST Lisandro Lopez (82 ovr)

Along with Bafetimbi Gomis, Lopez forms a formidable duo at the top of Lyon's lineup. The Argentinian is what you'd describe as a "Clinical Finisher," in that he has the shot power (83), finishing (86) and long shot ability (81) to strike from anywhere on the pitch. Lopez will surely be relied upon to keep Lyon in matches, and will likely pose a double threat with many goals and assists this season.

Player to Watch: GK Remy Vercoutre (75 ovr)

Part of Gator's success with Sporting CP has to be attributed to his club's keeper at the time, Rui Patricio. Arguably one of the most talented GKs in Serie B last season, Patricio finished just 1 clean sheet off of the league leaders' mark and managed to give Sporting CP the 3rd best goals allowed average in the 12-team league. However, gone are the days when Lyon had French international Hugo Lloris in net. Vercoutre won't provide the stability that Gator may have become accustom to with Sporting, which will likely hurt the French club against the best of the best.

• Like Like x 5
  5. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

This is bulletin board material. Lyon certainly will use this as motivation to finish near the top of Serie A. Viva La France!!! :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

7. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

• Like Like x 1
  8. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

santa's offices were closed over the weekend. but that's means tonight will be DOUBLE PREVIEW NIGHT!!!!.....

• Like Like x 2
  9. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]

SWANSEA CITY

Projected Finish: 10

Viper would likely be the first one to tell you that Season 8 was not his best. After 4 strong seasons with Montpellier and shooting up the Serie ranks to 3rd place in Season 7 (not to mention a Coppa Tradizione Final appearance back in Season 5), Season 8 saw Viper finish last in Serie A. Staying in the top league only due to the mass exodus of Serie A members, Viper has now changed clubs looking to start fresh. He also appears excited to get some matches with Swansea in under his belt, as he is certainly gearing up for a rebound season. Yet while it wouldn't surprise anyone to see Swansea in the top-half of the table at season's end (or even match his 3rd place finish from just a few seasons ago), the fact of the matter is he will still be adjusting to a new club and is currently chasing the top-level form he's known for displaying.

Best Player: GK Michel Vorm (81 ovr)

The Dutch keeper is strong in all aspects of goalkeeping. Viper allowed too many goals last season, and his defense attributed to his low point total at the end of the season. Vorm will certainly be needed to deny Serie A strikers from finding the back of the net, and he no doubt will make some impressive saves from time to time. Yet with Viper always being known as a more offensively-stout player with Montpellier, it will be interesting if Swansea's personnel creates a change in his gameplay.

Player to Watch: RW Nathan Dyer (75 ovr)

I predict it will take about .05 seconds for Viper to fall in love with Nathan Dyer's abilities. The dynamic winger has speed to burn (91 speed and 93 acceleration), great balance (95), and is also a fairly strong dribbler (81). Watch for Dyer to be Swansea's game-changer just about each and every match.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]

ASTON VILLA

Projected Finish: 9

After consecutive promotions, Surf now finds himself up with the big boys of Serie A. And coming off of a Coppa Confederazione title run, manager Surf will be looking to take the next step this upcoming season. However, failing to qualify for the Coppa Tradizione (he finished behind snake3249 and juanchoCT14 in his qualifying group) and a loss to Zikry in the Supercoppa does make you question whether or not the Villans will be competitive against the best TFS has to offer. I wouldn't be surprised to see this English club fight the relegation battle for much of the season, but I think they're still talented enough to stay up in the top-flight when it's all said and done.

Best Player: ST Darren Bent (81 ovr)

The speedy English striker (88 speed) has excellent finishing ability (88). Bent has had great seasons in the past in Serie A, as Zikry utilized him quite well a while back. And not surprisingly, Bent has been Surf's leading goal scorer the past 2 seasons. But while Bent can be dominant, it could also be easy for Surf to rely too heavily on the attacker. If the Villa offense can avoid being too one-dimensional, Bent should be able to turn in another impressive season.

Player to Watch: CB Ron Vlaar (78 ovr)

While I'd like to highlight Brad Guzan or Eric Lichaj here, bottom line is both Americans will find it hard to break into the starting XI as long as Surf has Shay Given and Matthew Lowton at his disposal. Yet often times with sides reaching Serie A for the first time, it quickly becomes apparent just how vital defense can be at the top level. Considering Aston Villa had only the 5th best goals against average in Serie B last season, Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa's second best player behind Bent) must be playing at top-form in order for Aston Villa to keep games close.

• Like Like x 4
  11. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Great stuff Bronco, now to work on proving you wrong!!
    In honor of my new goal in life I am changing my hair style to look like Swansea forward Pablo Hernandez!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

love the goofy eye lol o_O

13. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]

SAO PAULO

Projected Finish: 8

TFS' first-ever statkeeper, juancho spent Seasons 1-4 in Serie A, including when he peaked in Season 2 with a second-place finish. He also twice finished 4th. After sitting out a couple of seasons, juancho returned to TFS in Season 7, narrowly missing out on promotion while competing in Serie B. But with another season under his belt, juancho took home the Serie B championship. Now after being away from Serie A for an entire year, juancho is finally back with the big dogs. And while juancho won the Serie B title with Cagliari, it was just a one-and-done deal. Now he returns to Sao Paulo, the side he managed back in Seasons 3 and 4. He certainly has proven himself in the past, yet I'm still putting him just outside the top half. However, he certainly has the best odds to finish highest among recently promoted sides.

Best Player: ST Luis Fabiano (82 ovr)

Although his first-choice international days with Brazil may be in the past, the 31-year old still has plenty left in the tank. With ratings of 85 finishing, 82 shot power, 84 volleys, and 83 heading accuracy, Luis Fabiano is still outstanding at nearly all of the shooting attributes. Fabiano scored 39 Serie A goals under Juancho's guidance during Seasons 3 and 4, and you can expect more of the same in the combo's second go-around.

Player to Watch: RB Douglas (70 ovr)

Over his 6 seasons in TFS, juancho has been known to have stout defensive sides that allow few goals. Except for his previous seasons with Sao Paulo that is. Manager Juan's two worst defensive seasons came at the helm of Sao Paulo. And while Brazilian sides often cannot match their creative and dynamic attackers with much on the defensive end, Sao Paulo does have two legit center-backs in Rhodolfo and recent arrival Lucio, the ex-Bayern and Inter star. But at right-back, Douglas appears to be the weak link among the back line. Sao Paulo does have some other options, such as playing another center-back on the right side, but they would also be losing much-needed speed in the process. Douglas is still the club's second best full-back, and if starting, Douglas' play will determine whether not Sao Paulo's backline has since become solidified or if they are only as strong as their weakest link.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

[​IMG]

QPR

Projected Finish: 7

After a third-place finish in his debut Serie A season, I'm expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from Beshiktas. Beshiktas spent 7 seasons in Serie B, including 3 4th-place finishes (i.e. 1 spot away from the promotion playoffs) before finally winning the Serie B title in Season 7. And despite being a Serie B regular, he quickly adapted to Serie A play. QPR displayed a good balance of offense and defense last season, but will the rest of Serie A begin to become more familiar with the British club? And now that his debut season has passed, will Beshiktas have the same enthusiasm to prove his worth? This club could easily repeat its 3rd-place finish, but I worry that may be their ceiling.

Best Player: GK Julio Cesar (83 ovr)

The talented Brazilian may just be Serie A's best goalkeeper. QPR brought in Julio Cesar from Inter once Robert Green feel out of favor, and there's no denying that Julio Cesar was quite the upgrade. Julio Cesar notched 5 clean sheets in Season 8 and anchored a defense that allowed just 1.25 goals per game, good for 5th best in Serie A. Expect more brilliant saves from Julio Cesar again this season, while opponents will need some splendid strikes just to get on the scoreline.

Player to Watch: CB Christopher Samba (78 ovr)

QPR's best defender, and recent winter arrival from fellow Serie A side Anzhi, stands out in QPR's backline. With fellow CB Clint Hill not exactly a towering presence at 6 feet tall, Samba's 6'4'', 220 pound frame makes him an absolute beast that any club would love to have protect the net. Add in a 93 strength rating, and Peter Crouch might just snap in two should he attempt to enter Samba's no fly zone. While great at negating the aerial game, Samba isn't one-dimensional either. Samba's ratings at interceptions (80), marking (81), and standing tackle (82) are all more than adequate.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

^shots fired!!!!

Pretty shocked to see BESHIKTAS at 7th to be honest. Honestly though, the remaining owners are all such a toss up, we can all beat each other on any given day

• Like Like x 1
  16. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

i feel like i'm giving wayyyyy too much bulletin board material for everyone so far. so let's all just call it a day and nobody take it out on games against anzhi, sound good (y)??

17. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

I have a better plan...Just have yourself at #6 and that can be your own bulletin board material :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Oh yeah... but 12th may even be too generous... I don't know if I have more than 3 wins ever total against all of you combined in A.

19. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Hmm... That's one for the archives

20. RedAL925

The results are in....this is only TFSerie matches

9 W, 4 D, 11 L vs Season 9 Serie A teams, with a GD of -15 (33 F, 48 A)

By opponent (W/D/L):

rschwep - 0-0-2 -- 1 F, 10 A

vipermansa - 3-0-1 -- 9 F, 7 A

BESHIKTAS - 2-2-2 -- 10 F, 15 A

IJGator - 2-1-3 -- 5 F, 6 A

juanchoCT14 - 0-1-3 -- 5 F, 10 A

MiaFLSurf - 2-0-0 -- 3 F, 0 A

• Like Like x 2
  21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Well played sir.

Well played indeed.

• Like Like x 2
  22. RedAL925

Get at least 1 win from all those matches and you should do enough to stay up

23. BESHIKTAS

It's easy to say for a Serie A Big Shot!

24. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

What happen to last nights #6? :(

25. BESHIKTAS

Is Santa retiring ? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.