Saints survive Browns in opener

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by PepperNY, Feb 6, 2013.

1. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (AP) Cleveland, OH - The Browns hosted the New Orleans Saints to kickoff the new year at Browns Stadium. The Saints offense would put up a score on their first series of the season where Zabzebski would find Jimmy Graham on a 10 yard pass for a 7-0 lead. The Saints defense would keep the Browns offense at bay forcing a 3 and out on the Browns first two possesions. The Browns however would even the score in the 2nd Qtr with a 70 yard TD run to make it a 7-7 game​
    [​IMG]

The Saints would retake the lead on their next possesion methodically working the ball through the air to 2nd year receiver Marcus Royal. Zabzebski would hit 4 different recievers on the drive including a pass to Harlon Haynes to setup a 1st and goal at the 1 yard line at the 2 minute warning. After a failed QB sneak by Tebow Mark Ingram would take it in from 1 yard out to give the Saints a 14-7 lead.​
    [​IMG]
    The Browns had just 1 timeout but would complete a 44 yard pass to Hakeem Nicks to setup the Brownies inside the Saints 30 with under a minute left. The Browns now had no timesouts with :09 left and a 3rd and 10 inside the Saints 15 yard line but Vick would make a costly mistake where he found Santonio Holmes who was tackled as time would run out and the Saints led at the half 14-7.​
    The Browns defense was relentless stopping the Saints on the first poessesion of the 2nd half as the Saints went 3 and out. Vick took advantage of the field position and was able to hit Pat Brassell out of the backfield who would run free for 40 yards thanks to a blitzing Saints defense for a TD to tie the game 14-14. However, once again the Saints would respond as they would put up a TD to start the 4th Qtr on a 3rd and goal from the 6 where Zabzebski hit Haynes for a 6 yard score on a slant for a 21-14 lead with 4 minutes left in the game.​
    The Browns were able to move the ball into Saints territory inside the 30 but would be stopped on a 3rd and 3 and opted to go for the FG with all 3 timeouts remianing. The Gamble would pay off as the Browns would get the ball back trailing 21-17 and 1 timeout left with 1:50 remaining. The Browns looked to be in no real hurry but they were forced with a 4th and 1 from the Saints 35 yard line with :36 left. The Browns gambled and tried a pitch to Brassell where he was tackled just short of the first down effectively ending the game as the Saints run out the clock to earn their first victory of the season.​
    "We didnt feel like we played our best game so we feel very fortunate to come away with a win against a tough Browns team" said coach Rob after the game.​
    GG Michael Overman, very fun game.​

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Nice highlights guys!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Close games are the bomb! Not settling for the FG at the end of the first half bit the Browns in the butt. Thx for the highlights Rob.

I'm not calling you out Michael Overman. There were a couple of observations I made in the highlights that I would like to point out...

2:40 sprint with the QB to the sideline immediately following the snap... I'm not sure if the intent was to buy time because of the game situation, nor am I sure if you had intended to scramble with the QB. What I do know is that it wasn't a designed roll-out, nor were you flushed from the pocket. I just want to emphasize that it is an example of what we do not want to see; sprinting toward the sideline with the QB immediately following the snap. If you had scored on that play and if it would have been the difference in the game, there could have been issues with you and any opponent. It wasn't and there weren't, but regardless, I wanted to point that out.

4:25 zig-zag catch with Nicks... this may have been just a stick error as it can happen from time to time where you take control of the receiver to user catch and you move the stick taking the receiver off his route by mistake. I had noticed that you took Nicks off his route before making the user catch to the outside. If it wasn't intentional; no worries as shit happens. However, if it was an intentional skill, please refrain from using the tactic in league games as intentionally taking the receiver off his route to draw off defenders is illegal.

Again, please do NOT view this as me calling you out. I want anyone who reads this to know I am NOT reprimanding Michael, nor am I punishing him. Rather, I want this to be used as a comprehensive tool so that a visual understanding may be developed. Please, let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

I love Highlights...Awesome!!

I was initially defensive when I first read this, but I know that is just b/c I'm fiercely defensive of my simplay. After waiting a few moments, I realize this is exactly what I like and preach...transparency and accountability. My only regret is that most in this league do not know my history or reputation... in all things really but sim football especially. Doug the scenarios you laid out after looking at the video...1-tried to do hurry up spike snap...it didnt work for some reason....so was trying to throw the ball away as quickly as possible to stop clock...was never running on that play...clock management only 2-my sausage fingers tried to get control of the WR and it inadvertently moved Nicks way off...no idea how he made that catch...never seen that once in this title.

PepperNY

Damn good game man, I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. Great videos I loved the way you captured the end of the game scenario. I even love the way you captured my boneheaded playcalling to end the first half. GREAT HIGHLIGHTS man...fun to come into work this morning and watch it. I promise I won't watch it at least 5 times today at work.

• Like Like x 4
  5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I just want to say I don't have any complaints about Michael Overman and his gameplay. I felt like where he sprinted out and threw the ball away he was trying to stop the clock with the clock running and no timeouts.

Good fun clean game in my eyes but I can see where some may see differently as Doug pointed out.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Looked like a fun game...damn i miss the highlights :(

Nice passing Rob! Your poise in the pocket is on the 1 !!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Perfect explanations! I would have done the same given your situation on the non-spike play as I have had that happen to me as well. As for the Nicks catch, I've had that happen to me in the past where for some reason the receiver broke off his route. Just one of those dumb things that are beyond our control. For the record, we have NEVER received any concerns or complaints regarding your gameplay, nor do I expect us to. I did not intend for my post to create any tension, nor do I want you OR Rob to feel as though we are looking specifically for errors. They were just observations that I made that I know others in the league would question. Your response clearly explains your actions. Thank you for using rational thought and explaining yourself! Hell of a game, and I do NOT want to take away from that!

• Like Like x 2