Salary Cap Information

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by Dru50, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I know gowazzucougs was curious, so I was looking at the Team Finances menu last night and apparently the way the cap works in the game is that there is the 'soft' cap of around $50 million (as I recall - it might be slightly more), and then there is a 'hard cap' of $90 million.

My guess is that the area between the soft and hard cap is the amount each team can go over to either 1) sign their own free agents if they have their Bird rights, and 2) sign players to the mid-level exemption. I don't know if that's how it works exactly, but the fact that the game lists a hard cap of $90 million would seem to imply that.

2. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

can someone explain bird rights to me? i never really understood how they worked

3. Dru50

In basic terms, once a player has been on a team for 3 years (I believe) then teams have ability to go over the cap to sign that player if necessary. At least that's how it works in real life and in the offline association.

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

That's how I understand it

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Am i correct in thinking that a team can just be 1 penny under the salary cap and still give someone with Bird Rights a max deal?

6. Dru50

I actually believe (in real life at least) that a team can be over the cap and still pay a max deal to someone with Bird rights. For example, I believe the Magic are way over the cap and would still be able to pay Dwight Howard the max, so long as they are willing to deal with the luxury tax implications.

7. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'm pretty sure you're right. As long as the max deal leaves you below the hard cap. And I'm also pretty sure you can trade Bird rights. Like, if Dwight Howard has Bird rights and gets traded, then whoever acquires him will also acquire his Bird rights.