Salary Cap Issue

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by CaptMoe, Jun 8, 2013.

1. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Ok, here's what I'm facing right now:

After re-signing D. Ware, his 2015 salary dropped from $18m to $6, creating $12m in cap space for 2015. The following week, M. Claiborne wanted to negotiate. The screen showed over $12m in cap space. However, when I clicked on "Start Negotiations" I received a message stating I didn't have enough money to offer him.
    Now this week, at the My Actions screen, it is showing my cap space at only $270k. Go to Strategy and Team Salaries and, sure enough, I have over $12m in cap space.

So I am not able to offer any of my potential FAs an extension at this time because of this. Is this the same salary cap glitch that showed itself before?

2. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

The Salary cap glitch before only happened in the offseason and showed some teams 30M in the negative

3. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

ok so, what's going on here? Why am I not able to negotiate even though i have over $12m in space?

4. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Do you have any cap hits from trades or player releases effecting your cap? That would be my guess

5. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Cap hits are already taken into consideration when your cap space is shown. But, I don't have any major hits.

CHUNKNESS
    LtJustice

6. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

The problem you are running into Moe is not the cap space you have right now for this season, it's about the amount of cap space you are projected to have next season with the current roster and contracts. You currently have $12.59M in cap space available currently for this season, but you are not projected to have that much available next season due to escalating contracts.

To break it down:

- You have 9 expiring contracts that are on the books this season for a total of $14.37M, so add that total to your current cap space of $12.59M and that gives you $26.96M.

- However, salary projections for 2016 (players that are signed at least through next season) combine to make $26.49M more than they are making in 2015 (the current season).

- So basically your escalating salaries pretty much negate your current available space, as well as the salaries of expiring contracts.

I am unsure of whether or not the game takes into account the increase in salary cap (it should go up to $145M in 2016), but I don't believe it does take that into account for future season(s).

7. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Thanks Jim.

Just seems weird because I have not run into this in the past. If you remember, I had asked about pausing the simmed seasons at some point to allow us to re-sign players for this reason: It gives you cap flexibility when you re-sign during the season as opposed to waiting until the end.
    I understand your breakdown, just wondering why it's never happened before...

8. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

I would imagine it's just the perfect storm of having so few expiring contracts and having some big escalating contracts on the books.

9. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Moe, we've explained to you before. It doesn't matter if you re-sign during the regular season or in the off-season... The only players that can be re-signed are those who will have expiring contracts at the end of the season. Therefore, you will still have the SAME amount of cap space regardless of if you sign them during the season or in the off-season. That is why we sim the season all the way through.

10. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

that is not true. D. Ware had a cap hit of $18m for 2015. After he re-signed, his cap hit dropped to $6m and he doesn't hit double digits for a few years. That increased my cap space. Not the first time I've gone thru this...

11. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Moe, you are looking at his number for the current season. The actual contract that he re-signed for takes effect the following season. You are looking at his prior contract number.