Salary Cap Penalties - Clarification and Q & A

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by LtJustice, Jan 23, 2013.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

With the 2014 season winding down and 2015 offseason preparations now hitting full steam, I wanted to take a minute to clarify how the penalties work going forward and answer any questions you guys might have. I know the last offseason was hampered by the glitch and ultimately shutting off the in game cap, so this will be our first full offseason process as such.

Contract Numbers:

At this point, the game has progressed most of the in game salary information to the 2015 season numbers (except for those teams still alive in the postseason). While it still shows 2014 listed for contracts, what you see are actually contract numbers for 2015 and beyond. So it advanced the salary numbers, but hasn't yet changed the year(s) like it should have.

Contracts with 1 Year Remaining:

The only real exception to the contract numbers being advanced are with contracts that are in their final season in either 2014 or 2015. Since the game doesn't progress the now expired contracts to zero years (it leaves them showing 1 year still), you essentially will have two groups of 1 year contracts. Those which just finished their final year and those who will be just entering their final year. There is really no way to differentiate the two, hopefully each owner has a good idea on who was due to expire on their own team. Once the resignings period opens (after the Super Bowl), we will all be able to resign our eligible/interested players with expired contracts. Only after we advance past that phase, will the situation truly be fixed and players with expired contracts that weren't resigned will drop to Free Agency. So basically if you don't know who was due to expire for your team, you better hope they are at least willing to listen to a resigning offer (not all expired players do, as we have found out), or you could be in for a surprise when they suddenly drop from your team into Free Agency.

Calculating Penalties:

As you should all be aware and familiar with, we are keeping track of penalties in our Salary Cap Spreadsheet (Click Here). Any penalties you had incurred during the 2014 season will apply to your team's 2015 salary cap. Any penalties you incur between now and the end of the 2015 season, will apply to your team's 2016 salary cap. To calculate the penalty that you would incur for trading or releasing a player, please use the following examples:

As you can see from the calculations in red, it is a simple process. Basically you are taking the total bonus, and divide it by the total number of years on the contract, then multiply that by how many years are remaining on the contract. This needs to be done for EVERY player you release or trade, and the penalties should be posted in your team's release thread or in the thread for your trade.

Please keep in mind that there is now a $15M penalty limit per season which includes penalties incurred from releases AND trades.

I hope this clarifies things for anyone that wasn't quite sure about the process. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

• Like Like x 7
  2. LtJustice

3. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Perfect.Informative.Punctual.I even like the formatting, colors, and fonts

(y)

• Like Like x 3
  4. javy0472

javy0472 Walk On

guys remember some of us had free agents that we had to sign to 1 year contract due to glitch.....if you can put those names so players wont bid on them....thx

5. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Javy, glitched teams such as yours were able to maintain possession of each of those players under contract by offering them a one year contract. We had actually given the glitched teams an unfair advantage by disallowing the players to go into the free agent pool. Therefore, this off-season the glitched teams will have the opportunity to re-sign all of those players during this off-season's re-signing phase. Even though the players were signed to a one year contract last off-season, your team still has first rights to them to make a legitimate contract offer without having any other teams competing for the player. The glitched teams will need to attempt to re-sign the player(s) as they would have been required to do so last off-season. In essence, each of the affected player's contracts was one more year than it would have been had the teams not been affected by the glitch. Therefore, if the player does not re-sign with your team this off-season, then they will be a free agent this off-season. Otherwise, the glitched teams would be getting an unfair advantage keeping rights to player(s) that they didn't truly process through the re-signing phase last off-season.

• Like Like x 5
  6. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

You call it an unfair advantage to the non glitched teams but I see it the other way around. Since they were signed from FA on a 1 year deal we didn't have the opportunity to sign them to a contract last offseason or during this season. It is what it is

7. LtJustice

But you will have an opportunity to offer them a contract in the resignings phase this year, unless they are not willing to listen to an offer. It's really no different for you guys, except that you got an extra year from them guaranteed (this past season). As far as in-season resigning, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to resign them during the regular season when their contract was initially up (because of the simmed season), so that aspect is moot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

The glitch sucked plain and simple. I don't expect anything to be done for those that were effected by this last year. Jim is correct we have 1 shot to sign these guys and I have a plan in place.

Looking forward to the offseason

• Like Like x 1
  9. LtJustice

I think what Doug said about the glitched teams having an advantage may have been taken the wrong way. I have talked to Rob privately about this, but I will share what I said to him with everyone.

It's not really about anyone having an advantage, my thing is just that the glitched teams in the end suffered no disadvantage. If anything, they got an extra year out of any player that they might not have been able to resign to begin with. Otherwise, everything is equal, just one year later.

Those teams would have still only had one shot to resign expired players, because it was after a simmed season. There are no in-season resignings for simmed seasons, so EVERYONE only has one shot to resign expired players after the season. Those (glitched) teams now have that opportunity to resign those same players, one year later.

I just don't want anyone to feel like the are (still) disadvantaged because of the glitch. I feel we went above and beyond to come to the best possible solution to get around it, while being fair to everyone (glitched or not), and am happy to move on.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Has any thought been given to allowing teams a 24hr period to perform in-season re-signings before the next season is simmed?

11. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Jim I don't know if I've ever told u this but the details and explanation you provide in your responses is much appreciated

• Like Like x 3
  12. LtJustice

Thanks Curtis! That really means a lot to me.

13. LtJustice

I think we discussed it at one time, but decided against it. The thing is, even with a 24 hour period, every team would only have a shot to make one in-season offer to their players. Because you can only make one offer to each player per advance. So basically delaying the whole offseason an extra day so teams can have 2 chances to resign their player(s) (once during the season, and then once at the end) instead of just one, doesn't seem worth it to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

But if those re-signings could help a team create cap space, it would be worth it to the owner. I re-signed a few guys in season to give myself cap room this year. Now, for 2015, I see I'm over the cap. When will I have the opportunity to re-sign my players and get back under the cap without releasing anyone?

15. CHUNKNESS

Re-signing guys during the regular season would not have made any difference on your current season's cap. You would have had to have been under cap before the season started. So it wouldn't make any difference if you re-sign during the regular season or in the off-season. Either way you will be re-signing the player with the same goal in mind which would apply toward the following season's cap.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

CHUNKNESS I started our current season over the cap as well. I was able to resign a couple of guys, RT Doug Free is the one that comes to mind, and get under the cap without releasing anyone. When you re-sign players with 1yr left you basically re-negotiate their contract and are able to reduce their current cap number. Since I am currently $5m over the cap, I'd at least like the opportunity to re-sign some of the current players with 1yr left to get under the cap...

17. CHUNKNESS

I understand what re-signing does Moe, however, you cannot start the season over the cap. Any negotiations to clear the cap would have needed to have been completed prior to the start of the season regardless.

18. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

ahhh, ok, i'm the one that misunderstood. Sorry... :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  19. CHUNKNESS

LOL, don't be sorry

20. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

it's the polite thing to say...lol

• Like Like x 1