Salary Cap Planning and Info

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Salary Cap Planning and Info

Salary Cap:
    MEGA will use a salary cap system tracked in LeaguePulse. At the start of a franchise, each player is automatically assigned a cap (contract) value based on their initial AGE, OVR and POS.

Contract Length is determined by age.
    Free Agency will occur when a player reaches a specific age. Free Agent ages are 24, 28, 32, and 34. Every year after 34 is a free agent year.

The Cap Value structure is such:
    (Base Contract) + (Position Value) = Cap Value
    (Years Left) = Amount in Bonus

The Base Contract is determined by a Base Scale (see below). The Position Value adjusts the contracts for high and low profile positions. If a Position Value change results in a negative contract, the contract will default to a value of 1.

Base Salary Scale:
    Column 1 Column 2
    OVR Cap Value
    99 15
    98-96 13
    95-94 12
    93-92 11
    91-90 10
    89-87 9
    86-84 8
    83-80 7
    79-76 6
    75-70 5
    69-66 4
    65-60 3
    59-45 2
    44-0 1

Position Value:
    Column 1 Column 2
    Position Value
    C 0
    CB 2
    DT 0
    FB -5
    FS 0
    HB 2
    K -5
    LE 0
    LG 0
    LOLB 0
    LT 1
    MLB 0
    P -5
    QB 3
    RE 2
    RG 0
    ROLB 0
    RT 1
    SS 0
    TE 0
    WR 2

For Example An 85 OVR RB has an initial Cap Value of 10 (8 base + 2 position).

2. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Argghh more math.

3. Mags

Under the above system, here's how things would look this year...

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Team # of Players Team Cap
    Giants 53 360
    Colts 54 351
    Patriots 53 347
    Eagles 53 346
    Ravens 54 342
    Cardinals 55 341
    Steelers 54 340
    Titans 51 339
    Cowboys 52 337
    Raiders 55 331
    Chargers 53 328
    Redskins 54 327
    Panthers 55 326
    Dolphins 55 325
    Falcons 52 324
    49ers 54 322
    Seahawks 53 318
    Bears 54 318
    Broncos 55 316
    Jets 53 315
    Rams 54 312
    Vikings 55 305
    Buccaneers 55 303
    Saints 53 303
    Jaguars 55 303
    Packers 51 301
    Browns 51 300
    Bengals 54 298
    Bills 53 293
    Texans 51 286
    Lions 55 285
    Chiefs 51 275

Here's how many Free Agents each team will have going into this upcoming offseason:

Column 1 Column 2
    Team FA's upcoming
    49ers 15
    Bears 17
    Bengals 17
    Bills 17
    Broncos 12
    Browns 23
    Buccaneers 15
    Cardinals 15
    Chargers 15
    Chiefs 10
    Colts 14
    Cowboys 19
    Dolphins 10
    Eagles 11
    Falcons 13
    Giants 19
    Jaguars 17
    Jets 14
    Lions 14
    Packers 13
    Panthers 14
    Patriots 13
    Raiders 17
    Rams 19
    Ravens 13
    Redskins 15
    Saints 22
    Seahawks 13
    Steelers 11
    Texans 13
    Titans 12
    Vikings 15

4. Mags

No one asked you to do anything yet. I actually have it all done already.

5. Mags

Here's the system I have been preparing. I threw the position value thing in b/c a 99 OVR K is not the same as a 99 OVR QB. Any of this is negotiable, but it would set us up with an easy salary system that I can import to LeaguePulse. It will allow for bidding on guys. It allows for 'good' and 'bad' contracts as players don't get rerated each season. It allows for cap penalties. Most of all, it's easy to tweak and I have all of the work done so far.

I have each team's sheet done and have macros written that allow me to update it on the fly from what I can grab off the OF site.

Take a look, tell me what you think. Let me know if you need more info. It's not set in stone, but with the offseason coming up, we do need something to discuss.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

I really like the system, especially if League Pulse is tracking all of the math! Well done.

One question? What would the 'cap' bet?

Also I think you should allow one 'franchise' tag per team. This way if you have a stellar player who is over age 34, you can keep him. Yet if your team is very old, with many good players over 34 then you will need to make decisions wisely.

In all I think 1 franchise tag per team would be a perfect fit into this sytem.

7. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

This system is probably one of the best ive seen, if not the best. Position value is key, cant wait for next season.

8. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

I agree cause according to that system Gore and Crabtree are Free agents and I dont want them to leave.

9. PoloMD

PoloMD Walk On

Nice job mags.

10. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Any idea what the cap will be? Say somewhere around 327?

Otherwise, I like it. Thanks John.

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just an example on my roster about free agents. . .Hasselbeck, Walter Jones, Houshmanzadeh, Patrick Kerney, Lofa Tatupu, Deon Grant ALL will be free agents (not to mention many more, but these are the biggies).

Now I realize an aging roster causes problems in the real NFL as well, but honestly I should have a chance to lock at least ONE of these guys up without having to bid on them! This is why I really request that franchise tag. I like Mags' system but I don't think its realistic that I would lose ALL of those guys in the same year. They are all A+ players! Don't cripple me!

LOL. Seriouly I like a challeging offseason, but without any kind of franchise tag my job will be impossible. And I am sure there are other teams like me.

12. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I hope we will have a resigning period first aswell so I don't lose all 19 so-called free agents which wouldn't be if we had a cash salary cap. I'm not really sure if I like this point system or not. I don't know if I liek the Idea of losing someone like Ware just because he turns a certain age on a point system after he signs a 80 mil 6 yr extension. Looks and sounds like to me allot of teams may get crippled under this points system if they have allot of players in ceratin age groups which doesn't seem fair.

13. gt86

gt86 Walk On

This is one of things I was talking about with this age system Crabtrre is a rookie and after one year the 49ers owner can lose him, thta doesn't see quite right. Also the position bonus doesn't seem very good either, I understand a QB is important, but Dline, linebackers and Safeties are so unimportant that they have no value?

14. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

My suggestion : allow teams to resign 1-3 players before the offseason begins. Teams in NFL typically lock up their "core" guys before they hit free agency, and in today's NFL fewer and fewer big ticket players ever hit free agency(very true for guys under 28 years old).

Allowing us to resign even 2 players per offseason would alleviate alot of the owners concerns. At the very least offer us a franchise tag.

Another idea would be to get rid of the free agency at 24 years old. Or allow owners to resign ALL 24 year old free agents at predetermined cap values.

15. Mags

This might be a point of clarification that'll help alleviate some of the issues...

We still have the normal resigning period. By normal, I mean that we would follow the old schedule we had on the PC. Everyone will be able to resign whoever they want of their FAs. There aren't restrictions on that, similar to the way we used to do things. We don't have things like morale or player wants anymore, so we can either come up with a system to 'force' guys into FA, or just allow people to sign their guys as we normally would. The key will still be to manage your cap space regardless. I would expect us to do all of our resigns and cuts prior to the draft as we normally would.

GT - the age is just a base for us to use. The 49ers wouldn't be under any stress to lose Crabtree in that example, he'd just be up for a new deal.

Also, regarding the position bonus... What I put out there is just a template. If we feel that LB/S contracts should be weighed more, we can do that. It's just a method to tweak what in the old days would have been the player's asking price. A 99 OVR FB isn't going to be paid what a 99 OVR QB would be. We need a way to account for the 'importance' of each position. I had a tough time figuring out DT/DE/LB b/c on average, they don't get a ton of money aside from the elite stars, whereas QBs, RBs and WRs are typically paid higher. We can always adjust the values as we see fit, but I had to get something out there just to lay out the system.

I figured the cap would be around 340 for this season... Not sure what it would be for next season. Depends on the rookies. Also, we'd get teams to 53 players.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think that 340 might be a bit high with these contract values. Just as an example OMFL's contract values are higher, but the cap is only 330. I'm thinking something in the 320-325 range.

Also, I do think that some players should be forced into free agency. Not sure what kind of a system you could come up for that. My point earlier was that I don't think EVERYBODY should be forced into free agency, but it is certainly legitimate if 2-3 of my guys listed above hit the market.

Just another suggestion :)

17. Mags

Agree... The 340 number was just off the top of my head. It was roughly what OMFLs was. I'm not sure if ours would be higher or not as I spread out our contracts a bit as well as the position charge.

I also would want to see how things leveled out with teams having 53 players, as opposed to being all over the place as they are right now. But it would fall in that range regardless.

I'd also expect jumps when the draft class comes out. As I understand it, they are rated high.

18. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

as far as coming up with an importance for each position.....

we could look up the top 5 contracts for each position in real nfl and the highest would warrant a higher rating and the lowest would obviously be less. i have no idea on the number to associate it with, but that seems like a logical way to figure out our number since we are trying to keep it nfl sim style anyways.

19. Mags

Yeah, there's certainly a more 'scientific approach' to doing it. I just did it by feel. Like I said, the defensive players were tough but on the whole, CBs get paid. You get guys like Haynesworth every now and then but it isn't the norm. Plus, if we have FA and bidding, those contracts can happen naturally in our system.

We're looking to balance realism without it being too much work b/c of the lack of functionality provided by EA and their shit OF site.

Edit: Found average NFL Salaries by position (2008)

1. Quarterback | $1,970,982
    2. Defensive End | $1,583,784
    3. Offensive Lineman | $1,267,402
    4. Defensive Tackle | $1,223,925
    5. Cornerback | $1,193,666
    6. Linebacker | $1,175,788
    7. Wide Receiver | $1,054,437
    8. Running Back | $957,360
    9. Safety | $947,887
    10. Punter/Kicker | $868,005
    11. Tight End | $863,414

The median is right around the CB salary... Based on that, here's how much more or less a position makes based on % of the CB salary.

1. Quarterback 65%
    2. Defensive End 33%
    3. Offensive Lineman 6%
    4. Defensive Tackle 3%
    5. Cornerback 0%
    6. Linebacker -1%
    7. Wide Receiver -12%
    8. Running Back -20%
    9. Safety -21%
    10. Punter/Kicker -27%
    11. Tight End -28%

And to simplify... Here's what our point structure could look like

1. Quarterback 6
    2. Defensive End 3
    3. Offensive Lineman 0
    4. Defensive Tackle 0
    5. Cornerback 0
    6. Linebacker 0
    7. Wide Receiver -1
    8. Running Back -2
    9. Safety -2
    10. Punter/Kicker -3
    11. Tight End -3

----------------------------------

Certainly, we can play with it. I can plug those new values into the cap tool I have to see what it would do to the teams side by side... Maybe I'll get to that later tonight.

20. gt86

gt86 Walk On

That does easy some of my stress Mags my original understanding was that every player at those age groups were going into Fa for bidding and we would have to outbid people for each player. Now on the Crabtree issue I still don't understand why he should be up for a new deal since he just now a rookie and would only be a 1 yr pro at the age of 24. Could we not also add a yrs pro clause onto this so guys won't have to resign players they have drafted one or two years after they were drafted? As to the position weight I personally think allot of positions are just as important as a Rb or Wr like Oline, Cb's and Lbers . Heck Haynesworth just signed a 100 mil deal in the Nfl and Ware just got 80 mil so they must be pretty important :)

Also I feel every postion should have atleats 1 point for weight in importantce instead of 0 or negative. Maybe we could have a weighted range of 1-5 or 1-10

21. gt86

gt86 Walk On

So Oline,DLine, Cb's and lbers are more important than Rb's and Wr's :p

Damn kicker is more important than a Te wow ( Salary wise that is ) :)

22. Mags

It isn't importance. Keep in mind that teams might have ten OL but just one K. Same with the other positions.

23. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

I agree with the proposed template and position values. Each team has 2-3 HB's...so why have that position as a premium? As far as charging more for DT's, most teams have DT's in the 70's so the cap hit won't be that significant anyways. Heck, most players on every team are 60-70 overall.

The goal is to try to bring some of the lower teams up to par with the higher overall teams anyways right?

Glad to see that the normal resigning period will occur.

I am more curious to see how progression is effected, and how long the offseason takes.

24. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I don't think it's been brought up but how are we going to do cap penlaties atc for cutting players who's contracts aren't up and trading away high slary/value guys. With out a Cap Pen then guys could trade away anyone without any backlash from doing it.

25. scarface

scarface Walk On

WTF does any of this really matter? as was the case in ALL other versions guys will not lose their star players they will cut the over payed old guys go with young guys to fill the gaps, and keep their stars.
    Sorry just had to say that as all this BS about this and that and cap and cap penalties and contracts and values is just that BS.

Its almost like wasting time to do all this.
    I know as far as my team is concerned, I wont lose a star player due to cap I will cut and take penalties if I have to just to keep them and I am sure the other 9 participating owners we have will do the same.