Salary Cap/Roster Management Rules

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Keller, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Apr 14, 2010

The salary cap is set at 250 dollars. This is the maximum amount you can spend on players during each season.

All players will have a salary figure represented in dollars based on their OVERALL RATING at their position. QBs are more valuable than punters, so QBs will cost more against your cap.
    The breakdown is as follows:

Elite (93-99)- 14 dollars
    Great (86-92)- 10 dollars
    Good (77-85)- 7 dollars
    Average (65-76)- 4 dollars
    Below Average (55-64)- 2 dollars
    Poor (54-Below)- Free

Elite (90-99)- 9 dollars
    Great (82-89)- 7 dollars
    Good ( 75-81)- 5 dollars
    Average (67-74)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (56-66)- 1 dollar
    Poor (55-Below)- Free

Elite (92-99)- 10 dollars
    Great (86-91)- 6 dollars
    Good (78-85)- 4 dollars
    Average (66-77)- 3 dollars
    Below Average (55-65)- 1 dollar
    Poor (54-Below)- Free

Elite (89-99)- 6 dollars
    Great (80-88)- 5 dollars
    Good (73-79)- 3 dollars
    Average (66-72)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (56-65)- 1 dollar
    Poor (55-Below)- Free

Elite (94-99)- 12 dollars
    Great (87-93)- 8 dollars
    Good (77-86)- 6 dollars
    Average (65-76)- 3 dollars
    Below Average (57-64)- 2 dollars
    Poor (56-Below)- Free

Elite (92-99)- 12 dollars
    Great (82-91)- 9 dollars
    Good (75-81)- 6 dollars
    Average (66-74)- 3 dollars
    Below Average (58-65)- 1 dollar
    Poor (57-Below)- Free

Elite (89-99)- 10 dollars
    Great (81-88)- 7 dollars
    Good (74-80)- 4 dollars
    Average (64-73)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (57-63)- 1 dollar
    Poor (56-Below)- Free

Elite (93-99)- 12 dollars
    Great (84-92)- 8 dollars
    Good (75-83)- 5 dollars
    Average (65-74)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (55-64)- 1 dollar
    Poor (54-Below)- Free

Elite (91-99)- 8 dollars
    Great (81-90)- 6 dollars
    Good (75-80)- 4 dollars
    Average (66-74)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (58-65)- 1 dollar
    Poor (57-Below)- Free

Elite (90-99)- 4 dollars
    Great (82-89)- 3 dollars
    Average (75-81)- 2 dollars
    Below Average (62-74)- 1 dollar
    Poor (61-Below)- Free

NOTE: These are MINIMUM salaries for all free agents, draft picks, and players you want to resign. You can, of course, choose to pay more to a certain player. For example, during the free agency auction period, which is discussed later.

All players are signed for specific amounts of time depending on their OVR rating. The breakdown is as follows:

99-95: Six Year Contract
    94-85: Five Year Contract
    84-76: Four Year Contract
    75-68: Three Year Contract
    67-59: Two Year Contract
    58-Below: One Year Contract

Veteran Players (30 years old and above)
    99-86: Three Year Contract
    85-66: Two Year Contract
    65-Below: One year Contract

Before the VERY FIRST SEASON, each team has to assign each player a contract length based on the remaining contract length for each player IN MADDEN For example, if Lee Evans sign a 5 year deal before 2009, he enters 2009 with a 5 year contract. That means he enters 2010 with a 4 year contract. Therefor, for our purposes, Lee Evans has a 4 year contract at the beginning of our league.

Also, ONLY THE FIRST YEAR, each team has to choose 2 players rated 70+ OVR and make their contract length 1 year. This is so that the free agent pool is full after year one. You can choose which players are on 1 year contracts.[/I]

Signing bonuses are applied when you re-sign a player before he is released into the FA pool. Signing Bonues are NOT required to sign a player out of FA (though they are useful for outbidding other users, by a dollar, for example.)
    Signing Bonuses are based on OVR rating. They are added to the player's salary cap number. If you release a player, their signing bonus still counts on your cap, even though their salary does not.

Signing Bonus System
    99-93: 6 dollar S.B.
    92-84: 5 dollar S.B.
    83-75: 4 dollar S.B.
    74-66: 3 dollar S.B.
    65-58: 2 dollar S.B.
    57-50: 1 dollar S.B.
    49-Below: Free

EXAMPLE: Tom Brady is a 97 OVR. His salary is 14 dollars. If you want to resign him during the season to another full contract, you will have to pay him a signing bonus of 6 dollars. Tom Brady will count 20 dollars against your cap. If you release him the next day, you can subtract 14 from your cap for his salary, but the signing bonus STAYS ON YOUR CAP for the rest of that season. You must pay signing bonus the players first season.

Retired players are wiped off your salary cap, they do not count against your cap.

All rookies that get drafted are on 3 year contracts. The price of that contract is determined by their overall rating just like everyone else. Signing bonus rules will be in effect for all rookies but will have a slightly different table to represent the value of a 1st overall as opposed to a 31st overall pick. This signing bonus is added to their salary as soon as you draft the player, and is applied to your cap if you release the rookie as normal. The table for the rookie signing bonus is as follows:

1st round / picks 1-5 - 5 dollar signing bonus
    1st round / picks 5-10 - 4 dollar signing bonus
    1st round / picks 11-20 - 3 dollar signing bonus
    1st round / picks 21-32 - 2 dollar signing bonus
    2nd round / all picks - 1 dollar signing bonus
    3rd round and after - No signing bonus.

After releasing a player you are still responsible for paying half of the players salary, for the remainder of the players contract.

Example: If Brady is 95ovr and signed his 6 year deal and got cut before year four his contract would look like this: 20, 14, 14, 7, 7, 7. This way, like a real NFL team, a bad mistake could follow you for awhile or if there was no SB paid out the contract would be 14, 14, 14, 7, 7, 7.

So at the bottom of your spreadsheet you would have CUT Players and then it would look like
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9
    Pos. Name Ovr Y1 Salary Y2 Salary Y3 Salary Y4 Salary Y5 Salary Y6 Salary
    QB T. Brady 99 14 14 14 7 7 7

His contract gets cut in half since he was cut and you pay out the remainder of the contract.

In the event of a trade, you will accept the new players contract while giving up the old players contract. Years and salary will not change. Max $ values reset.

If you would like to trade a player before free agency (say during the draft) that has zero years left on his contract, you have the option to do so BUT you must resign the player first. What that means is, you're going to pay the player what he rightly deserves according to the salary cap rules then trade the player to the the other team. Whats essentially happening is, you're going to pay the players signing bonus and the other team will pay the players salary.

Example: Team1 is trading Elway to Team2 for Tebow.
    I highlighted it in Magenta so you could clearly see where the signing bonus ends up. Remember, signing bonuses are only paid in year 1, so Tebows signing bonus has already been paid and so it does not have to be paid by his new team.

FA Period

You're going to send PM's to me in order to submit your bid's for FA's. In the PM the subject line should read "Bengals Day 1" The reason you do this is so I can see it's a bid offer, and I won't open it before I do my own FA bids.

If you have questions about offseason FA, put "FA Questions" in the subject line.

There will be 4 days of FAs. Everyday you'll send in up to 4 offers on the first day and two offers for the next three, and for the first three days I'll post who's in the lead and the offer someone will have to beat to get them. If a FA is posted as having an offer, if he goes 24 hours without a counter, ie the time I post the offer till the time I post the next days offer, he will then be the property of the highest bid.

The fourth and final day is a silent auction. Everyone sends in there final bid for the guys left. In the event of a tie, I will personally award a FA to a specific team involved in the bidding on a case by case basis. In general, I will give the player to the team with the greatest need.

Every day I will post the leaders, the team in the lead can put in a ebay bid (ie. after day 1.) An ebay bid is a bid in which you specify how high you'll go, if all the bids that get sent to me are equal to or less then the ebay bid, then the team with the ebay bid continues to be on top of the FAs wish list, or if it's the final day the the team with the ebay bid wins the FA. Make sure if you have an active ebay bid to resend every day it's active. You can lower your ebay bid, you can also chose not make it active, which means the next guy that bids will now be in the lead. I will tie break Day 1 FA bids if necessary and give a particular owner the "lead" in the bidding process, again, based on the greatest need.

You can only offer 4 contracts to FAs on the first day and 2 each additional day. An offer constitutes a contract offer to a FA you have yet to make an offer to. You may not make an offer to a player that does not meet his minimum contract requirements. Ex. If Tom Brady somehow becomes a FA, you may not offer him a 1$ a year contract with a 1$ signing bonus.

Example Offer:
    Title: Bills FA Day 1
    HB M. Keller, 99ovr, 9$/6$sb, 6years.

Now, I want to make some things clear here. As a free agent, you are not required to pay the signing bonus for a player. The salary from above you MUST meet or surpass in order to make a legitimate offer but the signing bonus is optional. Use the signing bonus as a way to outbid someone else. You could, for example, increase the sb by a dollar which would increase your overall bid value by 1$. Alternatively, if you increased his salary by 1$ you would be increasing the overall bid value by 6$ BECAUSE he demands a 6 year contract. In that regard, a 10$/6sb has the same overall contract value of a 9$/12sb. You may NOT change the contract length for a player. If he demands a 5 year because his overall is a 90 at the time of signing his contract, it is FINAL. During FA bidding, you can obviously increase your bids by more than just 1sb or 1$ salary at a time. You can submit a 20$/20sb for example, if you really wanted to.

Here would be fictional HB M. Keller's salary breakdown for a 10$/6sb compared to a 9$/12sb
    Year1, Year2, Year3 etc..
    10$+6$ sb, 10$, 10$, 10$, 10$, 10$ = 66$
    9$+12$ sb, 9$, 9$, 9$, 9$, 9$ = 66$

You have unlimited Counter offers. A Counter Offer constitutes an offer to a FA that you have already made an offer to.

If you win he's yours, if you win and go over the salary cap you will be penalized a draft pick, a simmed game, or something else I haven't quite decided and it all depends on whether you went over trying to screw someone out of a guy or it was just poor planning. After you sign the guy you must keep him for at least one season and you must release someone else to get back under the cap.

You cannot retract an offer, so you better make sure you want him if you make an offer.

Send the offers by Tradition PM, make sure it includes your team, the players name and offer of money and whether it's an ebay bid or regular bid in the actual PM.

Max $$$

Max $ is governed by the players production. A list below is an explanation of how a player's salary will be affected by his production. The reason this is now part of the salary cap architecture is to compensate for teams picking up their 99spd 99trk halfbacks that are only 68ovr and make the teams with those players pay those players according to their production.

1) A few players salary will be affected by their stats:
    a) Players salary with respect to his teammates.
    If, during the player's current contract, he leads the team in any of the following target categories then come sign/resign time he will want to be the highest paid player on the team, for that position, plus the signing bonus of the player he's trying to one up.

b) Players salary with respect to the league.
    If, during a player's current contract he leads the league in any of the target categories, then he will demand the Bonus and salary of the highest paid player, in his position, in the league; when it's time for him to sit down with his GM and ink his new contract.

c) Team and league leaders that have to be released into FA.
    Any player demanding high dollar released back into FA will drop their demand when they are dropped into FA. Their bidding will start at its normal price and the market will determine their value.

*Target Categories (min. stat for increase salary demands)

Passing yds (2,500)
    Passing TDs (25)
    Rushing TDs (12)
    Rushing yards (1,200)
    Receiving yards (800)
    Receiving TDs (8)
    Sacks (6)
    Tackles (50)
    Ints (6)

1) In all cases, if a player leads not just his team but the entire League in any of these categories and is over the target value, he will demand to be the highest paid player at his position, in the league. Remember this will only come into affect when his contract comes up.
    2) In all cases, if multiple players exceed target values at a position, those players will want their salaries to match their production. I.E. 1st WR in receiving td's over 8 gets paid as #1, 2nd WR in receiving td's over 8 gets paid as #2 and so on.
    3) If WR1 is #2 in receiving yards over target minimum but #1 in receiving TD's over target minimum then he will get paid as the #1 AND if WR2 is #1 in receiving yards over target minimum he will also get paid as the #1. I.E. both receivers have the same salary demands come contract time
    4) Max $ values are only reset when a higher value needs to be achieved. I.E. a Max $ value will never go down during the course of a players contract. It goes away at the start of a players new contract AND when a player is traded or released into FA

**Note, these values are up for debate. Please contact me if you feel they need adjusted.**

How to keep track of this?
    On your spreadsheet for Madden'11 bold green will indicate that he lead the league during his contract, bold red will indicate that he lead the team, bold orange would mean he didn't lead the team but still met the target minimum. You will also look up the highest paid player for that corresponding category and put the salary in the MAX $ column on your spreadsheet.

So basically at the end of the regular season check to see your stat leaders, see if they meet the minimums, then bold green/red/orange their names and put the salary of the highest paid player that he's "one upping" n the Max $ column.

EX. #1
    Steve Smith leads the team in receiving TDs with 10. He meets the minimum requirement and therefore he wants to be the highest paid WR on the team. So Carolina looks up the highest paid WR on the team and it's... Steve Smith. At this point you bold red is name and put his current salary and signing bonus in the Max $ column. This will be the salary that he will want when his contract is up, even if he regresses to a lower salary.

A strategy you might use is let him walk to FA, then try to get Steve Smith back after his Max $ demands go away and "the invisible hand" determines his worth on the open market.

EX. #2
    Matt Moore leads the team in Passing tds with 25. Carolina looks up the highest paid QB, and it happens to be Jimmy Clausen. So I bold his name in Red and put Jimmy Clausen's salary and signing bonus in his Max $ column...

EX. #3

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Name Yr1 Rec. yds Yr2 Rec. yds Current Salary Signing Bonus Yrs Left on Contract
    Steve Smith 1850 700 10$ 5$ 2
    Dwayne Jarrett 800 1000 1$ 2$ 2
    Brandon LaFell 700 500 4$ 3$ 2
    Armanti Edwards 400 250 1$ 1$ 2

Steve Smith leads the team and the league in receiving yards in year 1 with 1850. So after year 1 on his spreadsheet, Carolina bold's Steve Smith's name green and puts 14$/10$ in the Max $ because 14$/10$ is what the highest paid WR makes in the NFL currently(hypothetically.) Dwayne Jarrett has 800 receiving yards, which still meets the min target value for Carolina but that is obviously less than Steve Smith's 1850 but more than LaFell's 700. That being the case, he will only demand that he is the second highest paid of Carolina's WR's. Since Brandon LaFell is actually Carolina's second highest paid WR and his salary is 4$ with a signing bonus of 3$, Carolina must bold orange Dwayne Jarrett and put 4$/3$ in his max $.

Name Yr1 Rec. yds Yr2 Rec. yds Current Salary Max$ Yrs left on contract
    Steve Smith 1850 700 10$ 14$/10$ 1
    Dwayne Jarrett 800 1000 1$ 4$/3$ 1
    Brandon LaFell 700 500 4$ 1
    Armanti Edwards 400 250 1$ 1

Dwayne Jarrett now leads the team in receiving yards and is over the target minimum. His name must now be changed from orange to red and put 14$/10$ in Max $ to match the salary and signing bonus of the highest paid WR on the team, Steve Smith, who was formerly the highest paid WR in the NFL. (ouch.) You might look to trade Steve Smith now, or possibly even Dwayne Jarrett, in order to get rid of that nasty Max $ that will be coming along with his very productive year.

Name Yr1 Rec. yds Yr2 Rec. yds Current Salary Max$ Yrs left on contract
    Steve Smith 1850 700 10$ 14$/10$ 0
    Dwayne Jarrett 800 1000 1$ 14$/10$ 0
    Brandon LaFell 700 500 4$ 0
    Armanti Edwards 400 250 1$ 0

So this is what your spreadsheet will look like headed into the year where they will all need to be resigned. Both Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett have Max $ values of 14$/10$. One of those guys isn't going to get resigned I'd bet.

EX. 4
    Deangelo Williams leads the league in Rushing yards with 2,156 yards. I then look up the leagues highest paid RB, only to find some jack wagon picked up Shane Makino for $20 a year, way higher then a 99 ovr RB. Well I bold the name in green and put $20 in the Max $ column and go kick the "Al Davis" in our league in the nuts.

EX. 5
    Jon Beason leads Carolina in ints with 5. Beason does not hit the minimum for that category and therefore is not bolded and the Max $ is left blank.

Special note:
    Trading guys - Max $ will be reset when trading guys AND when you release them into FA. So if you have a guy at the end of a contract that is claiming he's the best in the league and wants that contract, and you're unwilling/unable to pay him, trade his ass. By allowing you to get something from the guy, and the other team not to get hit as hard with a cap penalty, this should increase trades with players in their last year of their contract, which teams do in the NFL and is something we want to try and simulate as much as possible.
  2. Keller

Apr 14, 2010
    How to Create a Salary Cap Spreadsheet

Below is the template that you need to use, download it first. To do so, once you've clicked the link just click "File" in the top left then click "Download as" then click "Excel" (assuming you have Excel on your computer. If not contact me and I will help you.) Fill it out with regards to your team, then re-post it on Google docs as (your team's name)_Salary_spreadsheet. Then go to share, share to anyone that has the link (DO NOT CLICK THE BOX TO MAKE IT EDITABLE BY ANYONE THAT HAS HE LINK), then the link will appear in that small window at the top, copy that link and post it in this thread, so I can collect them and keep them all in one place.

Salary Cap Template

Spreedsheet Column Explanations:
    Name : first initial, last name will do. Make sure to put them under the correct position header.
    Ratings : This is the overall rating of the player at the time of signing. Intially it will be the overall rating of the player out of the box.
    Year Contract was signed : Starting off everyone will have a 1 in that column, as if they all signed at the beginning of this season. Anyone that signs after this season and before season 2 starts will have that number changed to 2.
    Contract Length : Initially you will go into a offline franchise mode for Madden'11 and take the contract length for that specific player. When you resign, and sign people later you will use the Salary Cap Breakdown directions to get the proper contract length.

Steve Smith signed a 4 year deal before the 2009 season, which means he has 3 years left. So Steve Smith's "Year Contract was Signed" will = 1, and his contract length will equal the amount of years left, which is 3 years.

So for the proposes of our league Steve Smith signed a 3 year deal before this season.

**Note - If a player signs a new contract that is not reflected in the roster in Madden during our first season and first season only (i.e. Darrell Revis right now.) you may change his contract length on your spreadsheet to reflect that change.

Salary : This is determined by the Salary Cap Breakdown directions.

MAX $: Initially leave this blank. This column will be used later for guys that fall into special categories like leading the team or the league in passing, rushing, receiving, sacks, ints, etc...

Any questions, post below. Feel free to contact me on XBL as well. Big thanks go out to Psycho for all his work involving the salary cap system.
  3. Jspray34

Jspray34 Walk On

Jun 26, 2010
    Explanation of how to do initial contract lengths

K only question, i saw it explained 2 different ways, for my starting contract length on excel do I do it valued on position and rating or by offline franchise contract years left?

Update your roster. Start an offline franchise. Look at the remaining contract length of all your players. That will be the contract length of the players heading into our franchise.

Make sense?

Yea will do

I'm sorry, make sure you look at how many years remaining... not contract length.

4. Keller

Apr 14, 2010
    Trade Guidelines

Trade Guidelines:
    1) Agree to trade publicly.
    2) 3 votes to approve.
    3) Approvers are:
    4) You may not approve if you are involved in the trade
    5) Once you have 3 approval votes you may release the players into FA for exchange
    6) Update your roster management thread and salary cap spreadsheet
    7) Trade deadline is week 7 (subject to change.) Trades are also made in offseason.
    8) I will close the thread when the trade is finalized.

Please format every trade to look like the following or similar:
    Chargers Send DE Louis Castillo 88 OVR, 27YO, A Potential

Jets WR Braylon Edwards 85 OVR, 27YO, A Potential
    Vernon Gholston DE 75 OVR, 24YO, B Potential
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.