Salary Cap system feedback

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Salary Cap system feedback

Okay, I'm copying/pasting what I've gotten as feedback. I'm editing out any identifiers as to whom sent me feedback.

Number one:

I really think it's very realistic, and although it may be intimidating at first, at least, to me, it's all laid out with what to do and everything. It's not that difficult, to me. just follow everything word for word.

The only concern is about what I mentioned earlier on aim about the cap number being frozen. Now this is being said with me having no knowledge of how progression acts. If a whole bunch of my guys jump up to the next level, then I'll be in a situation I was in last year where just to keep these players, then I'll have to gut my team and fill it out with 40-50 rated overall players and that killed my depth. Of course, I'm going to try to not have to do that and just make some tough cuts.

The other side of this, is that I'm sitting here looking at all these teams with 10s of millions or whatever of cap space, putting these ridiculous bids for 50 overall players. if the cap number goes up, then this won't stop and they'll have just that much more to spend/piss away.

It's still a good system, very realistic, especially with the cap hits. I wonder though if the fact that the cap hits will be forgiven in the offseason is not an invitation for the ridiculous bids to continue. Maybe watch how many of the players that were picked up this season are cut in the offseason. That's not very realistic, I don't think, for a player to be bid on out the ass in one season and then cut to save all that money. Actually, maybe it is, I'm not sure, just rambling now. My two cents anyway.

Number two:

For me its just too complicated to deal with outside the game. The pts system was simple may not be what is used in the real world but it was quick to pick up and able to go with the flow especially if your a new owner. I lot of owners I talked to said they stray away from Free agency, trades, etc.. because its just too complicated to deal with. We are all upset the EA doesn't have the cap in the game but some owners don't want to suffer because of it and have to do a lot of work outside the game to create some sort of realism.

Too be honest I don't see myself making too many moves under the current system and will hate to do my capbook when the offseason comes and the modifiers and dollar values and cap hits all need to be calculated. Its just gotten to be too much work.

The one above I asked for more feedback. The owner game me this:

I always like the point system it was easy to manage and to pick up. I guess we can tweak some things in their but not too much. I didn't see any problems with that system other than the fact that people may have wanted to attach a dollar value to it. I say strip the system down to take a lot of the extras out of it (modifiers, position relationships to depth chart). Make it to the point where is calculating a few numbers here and there. The key I think is it should not be a system where it going to take more than 30 mins to understand.

This one has been edited as it named specific players:

at first, to be honest, I didnt like it. But it grew on me quickly after i understood it more. It definately takes more time to figure, but its fine, I like the actual $$$ figures, we'll have to find out if the draft works out as good. But im sure it will.

Only small discrepancy is the rookie salaries.

But thats it, if there is a way to lessen the rookie skill position salaries, that would be great, but not a big issue, My situation With my player is a unique one. (position, depth chart). Not alot of the rookies are getting paid like him because of it.

Another piece of feedback:

i personally think its overdone, too much work into something that is should be simple to do. The PMFL has a slick way of dealing with salary cap, a salary cap. not an arbitrary sports system that values all players with the same overall equally. over at the pmfl we use the games salry cap system with a league cap on cap penalty per year. in all honesty it creates the depth that we sim players soo desperatly want while keeping it simple.

i understand that you put a lot of time into this system, and i thank you for your hard work. but i believe that it might not have been nessicary. if you have any questions about this hit me up, im free to talk about my ideas, i think it would free up owners to contribute a little more, and make admins lives easier

That is all for now. I'll add more to this thread as we go along.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I think this was a great idea Winuvas. These opinions would never have gotten heard without your thread.

We sometimes shy away from letting owners voice their opinions. I think its great for the league to allow owners a medium to speak out.

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Its a great idea, feedback is always good as it helps us look at things from a different perspective and lets owners feel that they are more a part of what we are doing.(y)

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I completely agree. And I tried to make my post open to being critical of the system if an owner does have issues with it. As you can see, though, so far it's been mostly positive feedback.

Also, I am trying to keep it anonymous from you guys so we don't have any bias in these analyses of opinions. I hope you understand. I will know who said what, but I don't have a dog in the fight. If their suggestions make the cap book better, they make the league better, and that is what I am here for.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Another owner with some feedback. I did have to edit a bit:

1. I love the new cap system, i've been in a number of online leagues over the past couple of years, and this is most realistic one i've come across. There are obviously always going to be some issues (having to pay my starting quarterback a 5x multiplier because he was the best QB on my crappy roster) but this system doesn't have many.

2. Probably my favourite aspect is the different level of value placed on different positions, i always hated having to spend as much cap space on my 90 overall C as on my 93 overall QB, this systems helps avoid that happening.

3. Don't really have any issues with the system as of now, i thought it would be harder than it was for me to pick up, but once i got started it was a breeze.

4. As i said, right now i've got no problems with the system, that could change after the offseason of course, but until then i wouldn't change a thing.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, this feedback is from an AIM conversation I had with an owner. I'm paraphasing our conversation below:

Basically, this owner either is, or has been, a member of our sister premiere league, the PMFL. This owner likes the fact that they use an offline file that everyone can download/look at, and it's, in his opinion, very realistic as every trade/cut incurs a cap hit no matter what and it helps keep stud players with their teams (Brady, Brees, Manning, etc.). He feels that our trade system for cap hits (team sending bigger bonuses incurs cap hit) is very unrealistic and hard to understand. He also feels that our current system overall is not realistic, and is too complicated to grasp. He feels the rules are too much to get around. He is afraid to sign free agents because of the leg work involved with figuring out how much the player can be signed for, how to figure modifiers, and the like. He's very worried about the offseason and trying to balance his capbook.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So far, looking at 6 owners' comments, I see a division in the league. Half the people that have talked to me love the system (or are in favor of it), and half do not.

The funny part is, the people that like it praise its simplicity once they got into it. The ones that don't like it say it's too complex.

Any ideas/feedback from you guys? I am not supposed to talk about who has/hasn't sent feedback, but I know I have yet to hear from a board member. Not that you couldn't talk here, but still, anonymity has a lot of power.