Samsung LED TV's

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by GoGators, Oct 13, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Samsung LED TV's

Any of you guys have one of these?

I'm looking for a new TV and can't decide what to buy. I'm torn between the

un55b7100
    un55b8000

or the plain LCD

ln55b750

What do you guys think?

Also, have any of you guys ever bought a TV from amazon.com? They've got the lowest prices but I'm skeptical on the service they'd provide for any issues.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have ordered 2 through Amazon....no problems.

I dont see that much a difference in the LEDs IMO.

I like the Sony XBR9

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    What are you going to use it for? blu ray? HD? gaming? What is your viewing distance?

4. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I finally saw the UN46B8500 @ Best Buy, open Box for $2799.00 I didnt buy it so price is not that important, They were playing Blu-Ray Transformer Revenge, and it was unreal. I couldnt find a digital edge even in the menu from a foot away .

Gtranted we all know that DVD/Blu-Ray is much easier to make presentable than an NFL game.

I have not seen hi-speed sports action on it. but black defiinition and quality and ghosting absence were all there. If my wife lest me, Im buying the 50" for christmas.

Currently own a Samsung LN32B360 32" 720p LCD HDTV as my main TV, which I bought on release for $1800.00 5 years ago, and is now retailing for under $600. It fit the old ladies TV hutch when we were still in an apartment.

5. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Yep... got a good deal from Amazon. Never had any problems with it. Also might want to check out www.newegg.com I got my last LCD TV from them for a killer deal.

6. GoGators

It'll be the family room TV so it will be a jack of all trades. TV, high def TV, sports, video games, blu ray, etc.

I'll be about 10 - 12 feet away. I want something above 50" because anything less and I know I'll regret it.

I'm torn because the original samsung lcd b750 is 52" 240 hz w/150,000:1 contrast ratio. It's $1800.

I can get the LED Samsungs in the range of 2300 or 2500 from Amazon and both are 55".

7000 series: 120 hz, 3,000,000:1 contrast ratio
    8000 series: 240 hz, 5,000:000:1 contrast ratio

So my question is, is the extra $700 worth the extra 3" and the increased contrast ratio? As well as, with the LED's they're better for the environment, use less power, and are the 1.2" thick, plus they typically last a lot longer because they are more effecient.

7. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

These are the recommended viewing distances from the Home Theater Store for HDTVs.. As far as picture quality, you really aren't going to be able to tell much difference to the naked eye in 1080i.. You may see slightly less edges in 1080p..

Screen Size Min. viewing distance (in feet) Max. viewing distance (in feet)
    26 3.3 6.5
    30 3.8 7.6
    34 4.3 8.5
    42 5.3 10.5
    47 5.9 11.8
    50 6.3 12.5
    55 6.9 12.8
    60 7.5 15
    65 8.1 16.2

You really cant beat this depth on a tv though:
    [​IMG]

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Good. I've seen too many people pay for 1080p TVs with 120Hz+ technology only to have standard cable and no HDMI out on their gaming console. They buy all that stuff just to have it instead of making the most out of their home audio and video setup.

A couple things to keep in mind:

Be sure you like the new 120Hz+ "True Motion" stuff before you buy one. I thought it was neat at first, but after a while of watching it, the jerkiness in some movies makes it unwatchable to me. Some movement seems unrealistic. However, I think it is starting to grow on me the more and more I get used to it. Most TVs have the option to turn this off anyway. The biggest difference is between 60 and 120 Hz. 120 Hz to 240 hz is hardly detectable to the human eye, if you were a dog or an eagle, possibly so.

Contrast ratio is important when you are talking about LEDs/LCDs. Dynamic contrast ratio is the most important. Basically (and I definitely mean basically), this ratio defines the difference between the blacks and the whites (think of a shadow being cast on snow). With the newer LCDs now capable of competing with plasmas on black levels (a historical advantage of Plasma's over LCD/LEDs), this isn't much of a problem. You really have to start getting picky (and educated/trained) to start to notice differences. Even true home theater enthusiasts (e.g. the nice people over at avsforums.com) will debate for days on whether all this stuff matters above a certain point. IMO, I don't have good enough eye sight and at a viewing distance of over 6+ feet, it gets reallly hard to make differentiations (Just go to your local electronics store and stand that far from every display, you will see what I'm talking about).

If you are gaming, be sure to find some reputable reviews (newegg.com, amazon.com, etc) from people who have tried them out with your console. Some TVs are finicky with input lag, some aren't. No, it has nothing to do with response times (the amount of time it takes for an LCD crystal to refresh), this is a common misunderstanding.

If you are going to pay the money for the advantages of the LED (thin profile, lower energy, greater half-life, better backlighting, etc) then be sure you are equipped to take advantage of it. If you are going to wall mount an LED, make sure that you have a gameplan of where you are going to run your cables. This might entail running them through a wall just to get them out of the way. Just something to keep in mind.

To answer your question, I wouldn't think of spending that much money on a TV, but that is just me. I have no use for LEDs at the moment. Eventually everything will move to LED (and then OLEDs), so you are basically a head of the curve. A TV is one of the few appliances that is clearly up to personal preference. It's not like a Fridge where LED lighting, stainless steel finish, energy star rated, and front ice maker are all clear advantages and desires. Do your research, read reviews and then make your decision. Amazon and Newegg are both excellent choices for buying TVs. They also have unbeatable return policies.

9. ChickenOfTheSea

Drifter, at least for me that was a killer breakdown. C'mon Christmas!

10. GoGators

Yeah, if this was Yahoo! Answers, Drifter would win hahaha.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Ha, no problem.

If you couldn't tell, I've been doing a lot of research while piecing together my own home theater system.

I'll make a post here when I can get a list of everything together that I am doing.

12. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Drifter = Owner of the Big Stick

[​IMG]

13. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

While you are looking at them, check out the Toshiba 55SV670U. Local area dimming for the LED's, making the darks, darker, and the brights, brighter. Just another very good LED set. It is deeper than the Samsung unit, about 4" as compared to 1.25". I personally went Panasonic plasma, for a multi-use tv. Gaming, movies, tv, sports, I love the thing. And Drifter is right, the Auto-Motion, Tru-Motion, whatever motion that these companies are developing as processing, it is basically collaborative guessing at the in between frames. So some can appear jumpy and sketchy. Do some looking at the stores before buying. If you can find a small business that also does repair in your area, talk to them. Sometimes they can offer greater insight than everybody else. They often hear the complaints that the box store guys never seem to hear, because they do not service what they sell. And I don't doubt NewEgg and Amazon, but wouldn't you rather deal with somebody you can talk to, visit with and deal with on your purchase, before, during, and after the sale? Help the economy out, stay local.

Mike

14. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Man, after that I kind of want a new tv. Shit.

15. ChickenOfTheSea

^ This. I agree with supporting local, but at the end of the day, Newegg, has NEVER once let me down, they will return or replace anything. if You have the tech know-how to build/setup what you buy, its a no brainer.