San Diego State's Head Coach Speaks Up

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by nrg_qbz-_-, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

San Diego State's Head Coach Speaks Up

Coach, how are your players and recruits handling the news of your departure after this season?

Some critics are bemoaning Virginia's decision to bring on a relatively young coach on board. How do you feel about that?

It's been known that UCLA has been pursuing you for the last few months. How tough was it to not stay in state and recruit from one of the most talent rich area in the country?

What can we expect from Virginia next season? Can you guarantee a bowl game?

2. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Coach, how are your players and recruits handling the news of your departure after this season?

They are handling it surprisingly well given the circumstances, I know it is tough on them, but they understand my point of view. This is a big step forwards in my coaching career, being given the chance to coach in one of the most competitive conferences in the country. I think that the recruits and the group of guys that will return next season see the type of talent they have and the success the team has had the previous two years. They are going to do big things

Some critics are bemoaning Virginia's decision to bring on a relatively young coach on board. How do you feel about that?

I think my resume speaks for itself. Two seasons, a 19-6 overall record thus far, 4-0 against top 25 teams, and one if not two bowl appearances, right now it looks like we will be heading to the Armed Forces Bowl. I feel like I am able to get the most out of these kids and know it will be the same at Virginia.

It's been known that UCLA has been pursuing you for the last few months. How tough was it to not stay in state and recruit from one of the most talent rich area in the country?

It was very tough, but I always told myself that San Diego State would be the only California school I would ever coach for. They are the first school to have given me a coaching opportunity and i think it would have been selfish and an insult to these guys to have taken that job. Don't get me wrong, UCLA is a great program who I have nothing against, but I just couldn't do it.

What can we expect from Virginia next season? Can you guarantee a bowl game?

I'm not one of those guys that is going to come out and guarantee things i know aren't plausible. Look for us to be a middle of the pack team in the ACC. But I will say one more thing. If these guys buy into my philosophy and work hard, the sky is the limit. I am excited to be a Cavalier.

3. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Congrats and good luck!

4. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Great write up guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.