San Diego

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by nikpin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Going the 16th-19th of September. Never been. Have no plans. What should I do? Do I need 2 rent a car? Where should I eat? Where should I stay? General thoughts?

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

rent a car, go to red lobster, if you go to sea world don't forget you can drink for free.

3. nikpin

Productive first post. I'm out on Sea World and Red Lobster is terrible.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

lol, what no red lobster? lmao.

my brother used to be stationed there and i went out about 5 times. the places i liked were pizza port in carlsbad, really good pizza and their in house beers are real good. there is a burger place called hodads on one of the southern beaches where the burgers were some of the best i've had and everytime i went there it was packed. i didn't really do too many touristy things as i was mainly there to see my brother and his family. oh i did go and see some house that were f.ed by the mudslide that was cool.

5. nikpin

Thanks for advice. I think we are for sure planning on hitting up Hodads as there is one just south of the Zoo and Balboa Park which is the area we are considering staying. I'll have to look up that Pizza Port place as it look like it's pretty close that area downtown.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

yeah pizza port is in carlsbad north of san diego. it didnt seem too far out of town but my brother lived in military housing north of qualcom which isn't near where you are thinking of staying.

7. nikpin

I looked it up online and they have 5 locations one of which is near the downtown area by Sea World.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Only times I've been in San Diego were for a basketball tourney where I didn't do much sight-seeing, and I've spent the weekend in Coronado a few times. So I can't help you, really.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It really just depends, bro. Are you a family man here with family, man? Single guy wanting to know the best clubs? A family man on vacation and therefore hitting up all the bars and strip clubs? I gotta know this stuff.

10. nikpin

Going with a girl. We are in our 20's. Will probably just drink at whatever restaurant we are at for the night then go back and smash. Appreciate any help you can give me. Only thing we've got is airline tickets but we'll probably hit up the Zoo one day and a beach(recs) another. We wanna hit up that hamburger joint talked about above but that's all we got.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

nikpin

If you don't rent a car, you can stay around the central locales and have a good time right in and around downtown... a 20 min. cab ride to anywhere and for the most part walking.

Spend a lot of time in the gaslamp district, there are cool shops, bars, restaurants, and lodging. I highly recommend that area. My cousin is a bartender at the Tipsy Crow, a really cool bar/club that I do recommend.

There's a lot to see and do in Balboa Park - recommended. (our smaller, less creepy version of Central Park)

For mexican food, look up Old Town San Diego... It's an area where you can walk around and see some of the oldest structures in the area, lots of restaurants.

As for the beach, I recommend either Mission Beach near the roller coaster, or Pacific Beach.

You said you were going to the zoo. Since you're a bit older and I would assume have been to many zoos in your life, then if you do rent a car, I'd recommend the Wild Animal Park up in Escondido. It's more of a wide open Savanna feel. They have a cool flight line ride where you can go on a zip ride over the park that lasts about a minute and a half (the "experience" is 90 minutes including training) for $70 (in addition to entry fee). (compared to like $139 and 1 min. for the zip ride I saw in old Las Vegas).

12. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

You can go to the San Diego State / Washington State game. Been to San Diego a couple times. Sea World and the Zoo are both pretty good but haven't been to those in many years. Last year I checked out downtown and its really nice now. Sure there's something to do over there.

13. nikpin

Was wondering what you thought of this hotel area. http://www.lapensionehotel.com/contact/index.cfm Hotel's are pretty pricey and we don't plan on staying there much as we'll be out doing shit but more based on location. Thanks for all your help. So far the plan is Friday Kayak/Snorkeling in La Jolla. Saturday Old Town in the AM afternoon and Coranado after that. Sunday Balboa/Zoo. Nothing is really set in stone and we may just end up wining some of it.

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah that's a great location (tons of restaurants etc) and that hotel gets great reviews on Yelp. I haven't been there, but from what I can tell, highly recommended.