Satellite Internet

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by CHUNKNESS, Aug 10, 2012.

1. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Does anybody know anything about satellite internet and how reliable or unreliable it is for online games? We have an owner in our league who is moving to an area where he will only have access to a satellite internet connection. We're assuming the speed will be fine, but the fear is that there will be latency issues causing lag during league games. Any insight or direct experience regarding this subject would be appreciated as it will have an affect on whether or not the individual will be able to play in the league!

Thanks.

2. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

well i tried that a few years ago and its not very good. whats the speed he gets on it? also if there is any overcast the speed will slow down drastically. Is it with DirecTv?

3. CHUNKNESS

Thanks, Juan. It would be with a different ISP in Southern Wisconsin.

4. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

5. CHUNKNESS

6. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

It sucks! :doodie:

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I had a similar situation, where I could go and live somewhere, for basically free. The downside, Satellite internet, and that made my decision for me. It isn't good for Xbox Live, not even really possible IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

satellite internet with online gaming isn't an option. the speed of the connection doesn't matter, its the latency that causes a problem - since your signal is traveling about an extra 20,000 miles to get to the satellite and then back to earth.

as an example, lets say i'm playing my friend across town. normally the latency is going to be about 60ms (as you get further away that'll increase a bit). If I'm playing the same person and he's on satellite internet, that jumps to about 700ms - which is going to be unplayable.

Or lets put it this way. Would you ever play somebody online in Madden who's in Australia? Well the lag you'll get with satellite internet is going to be about two times worse than connecting to somebody on the other side of the world (I know from online gaming a lot of folks from Australia can connect to US servers at about 300 to 350ms - which is right on the border of being playable).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access#Signal_latency

• Like Like x 1
  9. CHUNKNESS

TY sir

sorry Hulk_hagen_55 :(