Satellite TV vs. "standard" cable

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BDSDIGITAL, Jun 30, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Satellite TV vs. "standard" cable

I have Bright house which is Time Warner for cable/internet and phone...even though I don't use my home phone. I'm really tired of them especially the internet. The connection in my new neighborhood is garbage, and the cable is ok I guess...but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I have to pay extra for the Big 10 network, there is no NFL network, it constantly has to reboot, etc.

I'm seriously considering going to Direct TV for cable, and finding another provider for internet and cutting the home phone out of the equation all together. The only reason I would go with Direct TV over like Dish Network is for the Sunday Ticket option if I so choose to get it. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy Dish Network over Direct TV and not have the option to purchase the Sunday Ticket.

Has anyone made this switch that would like to give their 2 cents on Direct TV?

The channel lineup looks good, the price looks alright, but I am concerned with reception since I live in Florida and this time of year it rains almost every day.

I would just be curious what some positives and negatives are from people that have made this change. Thanks in advance.

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

my brother recently switched to DirecTV so he could get the Mets games on SNY (he lives in Connecticut and for whatever reason his cable company only had YES and NESN).

he loves it and said he'd never turn back.

personally the moment i move out of an apartment building I'm getting DirecTV. The NFL package alone makes it an almost no brainer.

If they still offer it, just don't get the internet package from them. its fine for surfing the net or downloads, but if you want to play online games the latency is crazy (since if you think about it the signal is going to space and then coming back down).

3. BDSDIGITAL

Yeah that makes sense. I really wanted the Verizon Fios internet service but it's not available in my area...can anyone recommend a good internet provider for wireless gaming?

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I love Directv!!! I have been with them for 10 years now. The best customer sdervice too. My signal rarely goes out....It has to be really ugly outside for my signal to get sketchy.

Your not a man if you dont have NFL Sunday Ticket & The College Football Package....lol

5. BDSDIGITAL

They have a college football package as well?

6. Austin811

Austin811 Go Dbacks!

Yes, its called espn gameplan.

7. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Yes Sir....and there also is a "sports package" I pay $7 extra a month for and it gives you the Big Ten Network, a bunch of other neworks, and all the Foxsports networks.

8. BDSDIGITAL

OH that. You can buy that on cable too...on brighthouse though you can buy one game at a time (at least you used to be able to) which came in handy with some Buckeye games. But I haven't had to use that in a few years since every game is on down here anyway.

9. BDSDIGITAL

Anyone have any idea what the ideal mbps is for online gaming? Would 3 be sufficient if hard wired? What if it is wireless?

10. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I was sold on directv with NFL Sunday Ticket which is exclusive to DirecTV

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

DirecTV is really a solid TV option. Can't help you as far as internet, sorry man.

12. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

DirectTV is top notch for TV. They have great customer service,rairly a wait. I have never lost signal in the 8 years I have had it. By far the best option out there.

The internet on the other had is so bad that I deicded to go with Time Warner.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

DirectTV gives me a headache everyday. I have had the opposite experience with them than EI has.

14. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

I have had DTV for 5 years and only 1 time have i lost picture... It was during an ice storm and there was 6in of ice on the dish. i went out and clear it off and the signal was back on. I haven't ever lost it to rain so idk if that's a myth or not. Its even kept its picture during 100mph winds and a few tornadoes. as or internet i would say look at your local providers. i get my internet through the rural telephone people.

15. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I had DirectTV for a long time, but had to drop it when I moved to NJ as the installation guy told me I had too many trees blocking a clear view to the sky to get a consistent schedule. I really liked the package and service from them though, and would definitely consider them down the road.

If it's available in your area, I really recommend Verizon FIOS for TV and internet. I have had them for about 4 years now in Portland and here in Jersey and it's great. The TV package is good, the sports package gets you the NFL and Big 10 Network. The internet is screaming fast, both wired and wireless. My home connection is as fast as the T1 line I have at work (or it is close enough that I never notice a difference when working from the house).

16. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I've had DirecTV since '03 and I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't bother with the ESPN Gameplan for college football because the $10 sports package will give you more than enough games to watch.

17. BDSDIGITAL

Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on getting Direct TV! It's being installed this weekend. I can now watch my beloved Browns suck every Sunday!

Thanks for the input again.

18. WN Scorpion

WN Scorpion Walk On

Can't go wrong with DirecTV. They carry all the sports packages and the also include the multiple game channel for the MLB extra innings package. I understand you say your internet is slow and you have Time Warner. Does your local Time Warner offer turbo? I have turbo now and my speeds are twice as fast as my neighbor who does not have the turbo boost.