Scheduling Changes...

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by Michael Woodward, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Before, it was supposed to be one game per week.....Now it looks like they want us to play every Wednesday and Sunday which leaves 3-4 days between games so unless we can get on like every night or almost every night, we're not going to have time to practice

2. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Oh I see , well that is kinda gay

3. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah, I'm not a fan of saying one match a week and then changing it after it starts. Hard to budget time. Unless I'm misremembering how everything went down which is possible I suppose.

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I mean I would like to play once a week league wise, then maybe couple times as practice or whatnot

5. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Same here. Leave us flexibility to schedule. When I find out Monday night that the schedule is out since no one was tagged and we have to play by Wednesday, that's two days as options and they're weekdays at that. That's not the easiest

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

they need to find someway to stop us I guess :cautious:

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    All this bitching and no one has come to me to try and voice your opinion... wtf? This is everyone's idea of resolution? Give me a break.

We can hold advances back for approved reasons. If the two captains can't find time to play until Thursday, then we will obviously push it back.

However, you guys need to see everything from a different perspective and look outside your own window pane. We have to keep the league moving. You guys having more days to practice isn't doing anything for the league... just your individual squad. There has been 0 content outside of Dan's video, so what else is supposed to capture the attention of the league?

We are sort of feeling this out as we goes. I just ask that if you guys have issues, that you come to me personally before we let the bitching get out of control.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Drifterbub I think this more of a "eh, that sucks" convo with myself and Woodward than out right bitching. If we were that put off I know I would say something about it to you. Not like we were trying to entice some kind of angry clubs mob , was just chit chat. Not sure I would have a suggested fix for league scheduling anyway, this is not like NCAA or Madden where you hold all the cards for your own team in regards to scheduling games.

I would like it though if we could have a small league tag we use in TMFL , but I know if we do that then every league starts asking for them etc.

Other than that I gots' nuthin' in way of a solution.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I just don't want this to spiral into anything more than what it was. If you guys aren't that upset about it than I apologize for reading too much into it.

The league tag is difficult to do in it's current capacity. The TMFL tag is a lot of work to maintain and even Shaun Mason himself will tell you that it's not worth it. I'm working with Shaun on a different solution if he ever gets around to helping me out again. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It isn't worth it to maintain. The alternative is better anyway.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    yup...

12. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

I'm not angry about it or anything. I just think that if you advertise it as one group of games a week, it should be that way because a lot of people were reassured they had time for it because it's "only one night a week" or whatever and I know I convinced some people to join because of that. It's just really tough for me to make it Tues-Fri because I don't get home any of those nights until like 9:30 and I know most people won't want to start that late. With the once a week, we could hold our games for the weekend when almost everyone is home. It's not like a TFL or Madden game where you just have to have two people with the same schedule (which can already be a bitch sometimes), you have to have at least 8 who can get on the same schedule so it's difficult to put constraints on the timeline like that. As far as our game, if Jon MK is going on vacation Wednesday, I don't know when he gets back but I doubt it will be Thursday and unless you guys can play late, I won't be able to go Thursday either which means both of our captains are out. So I don't really know what we should do about it. I don't know if electrickeeper can make Thursday but if he can't either, then that's both captains and our first round pick which is literally everyone on our team that knows the game well.

13. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

Yea ill be coming home late next Monday.

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I fear that continuing with one game a week will kill the interest of the league.

This is why I really think we need to look at set days (Wed and Sun preferably) and let the time float. This flex scheduling is really rough and requires a lot of work on the captains parts with each different opponent. Imagine if the league expands... It also eliminates the excuse of "we'll we have our top three guys out" "well we won't have an any" "well we won't have our strikers" etc. Too much back and forth and then we have to determine what is arbitrarily 'fair' via a third party that doesn't exist (all the commissioners are on a team).

If you can have four guys show up on the set days, then you play. If you don't then you forfeit. Pretty simple.

It takes less than an hour to play three matches. We aren't asking a lot from people to commit two hours a week. It's not like a Madden game that takes 3 hours.

15. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I agree with the set days. We need to make a set day for clubs. I've seen others argue that you can screen your best players and if they can't play on a trad flex scheduling night you could just toss your hands in the air and be like sorry we can't play. Set times eliminates that.

I am not sure I agree with two games a week either, but guys, no one is generating content. No content + just one game a week = dead league. Remember we were getting together for clubs normally at LEAST twice a week sometimes more at it's peak.

16. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah I know but you have people with different work schedules and different social schedules. You can't really expect 8 people to be able to get on every 3 days and you're going to have people lose interest REAL fast if they keep forfeiting games or they are having to make unreasonable adjustments to their work/sleep/social plans to get a game in because you're pushing them too much to play. We have 4 teams and 8 games, why are we trying to get them all done so fast?

Also, as I said, we won't have time to practice at all which you said "doesn't help the league." Well, it helps our pros and it helps our teamwork. If we are only able to play our league games because we are pushed for time so much with the league, they are all friendlies which means our pros never advance and we don't have time to work on things because every game counts. You can say "play drop ins when you have time" but it's hard as hell to get your position in a drop in and then find a game where people actually pass the ball and there isn't a douche putting it in his own goal to piss people off.

I don't think people are going to lose interest because it's once a week when everyone agreed to that in the first place. If anything, make it a 5 day rolling schedule but don't force us to play within 3 days which are Monday, Tues and Wed.....Those are terrible nights....If anything, do Sunday-Wed and Thurs-Sat so each phase has a weekend night to help match up. I don't really care if we have an any or a striker missing, I would care if we had to play with both captains and a first round pick out because that's basically forfeiting.

As I said above, I'd like one of those days to be for improving team chemistry and get practice in and actually improve my pro since friendlies don't do anything for your pro. Dan has uploaded our whole games which takes him a good amount of time. We have all gotten on to play clubs once a week for how many months and we haven't stopped just because there was no content or we were only able to play once a week. I don't think that will change. If you insist on twice a week, it definitely needs to be as I suggested above where you have Sunday-Wed and Thurs to Sat so that Sunday is included in one and Saturday is included in another so that we have the weekend days split up to budget time hopefully.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    1) I didn't say that practice will not make the league better. Practice all you want. It WILL definitely make the league better. However, we should not be moving games back to a longer schedule just to get in more practice. This was my comment.

2) I will never encourage anyone other than new players to play drop-ins

3) A fixture takes an hour. It isn't asking a lot.

4) I have said multiple times that the advance dates are flexible. I need to put a date there so people don't start pushing shit into May because they don't have their top three picks. FZFC has yet to play with their top three picks on any given night, including league matches. But we've made it work for the good of the league. Sometimes with flex scheduling you are going to have weeks where the guys you want to always be there can't make it. That's how it works with real life recreational soccer leagues as well. I wish we had all of our best players there every wed night for my indoor team. It doesn't happen.

5) Good input on the nights. This is a discussion we would have as captains to determine the best solution.

6) Trust me when I say this: people WILL lose interest without games to play before they get tired of playing games. This site has been developed and grown under my theory for how leagues should be ran. Regardless of how unique this league is, I have a lot of experience in what works and what does not.

7) I think you are putting entirely too much focus on competing in this league rather than developing it. Trust me, I want you guys to be good and want to win. But ultimately we have to put the focus on the health of the league over our own individual and even club needs. Everyone wants to get better, but if it comes at the cost of losing interest then we have only taken a step backwards. We also should be focusing on putting out content and recruiting new people to the league, which we haven't done because as soon as we separated into silos all people can focus on is winning.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

Don't get me wrong, uploading games film is awesome, but how many game write-ups have been done? How many articles have been done anticipating the next match? Players of the Week, Game of the week, vegas lines, etc. Hell you have enough stuff here to do a podcast. This is stuff we can promote through our channels and reach some people.

I would be all for 1 game a week if I saw some effort pouring into the league.

19. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

1) It's not to get MORE practice, it's to get any practice at all.

3) Our last fixture took 1 hour and 30 minutes....That's not a huge difference but it's not really about how long it takes, it's about being able to get on at all. If I'm at work, I can't really be like "hey, I have a video game to play, it'll only be an hour though.....Since it's only an hour, you don't mind right?" Or if I go out with friends, I can't just say "hey guys, i'll be back in an hour." It's not like I'm saying I want to do homework instead, it's me saying we have people who will not physically be home at the same time as another team's players may be. I had to leave my own personal soccer game early just to get in on our games Sunday because they other team was full of people who worked really early in the morning and couldn't start as late as 8pm est....Now imagine when most my team works later in the evening and most the other team works early morning on a week day...How is that going to fit? I know you said forfeit but then we're still only playing one game a week and adding aggravation to the mix for having to forfeit.

4) I don't care if one of our best players is out. That's not my argument. My argument is when all 3 of our best players are out simultaneously. If I'm out and everyone else can play, that's fine. If Jon's out and everyone else can play, that's fine. If keeper is out that's fine. If two of us are out, okay. But all 3 is a bit much.

6) I see it as more like a father pushing his kid to play a sport so much that the kid gets burnt out because he has no time for anything else compared to a father letting his kid play it for fun and the love of the game. That is my point but I guess agree to disagree. I know that if I'm pushed too much, I will be dropping because I'm not going to let it effect my work or school or other leagues that I help run when I agreed to a timeline that was modified after the very first game.

7) As I just said, you advanced weeks like the day after we finished our first game. You had already moved to 2 games a week. With other leagues and such, how would we have had time to write anything when we're already set with the task of scheduling our next game in a hurry? You shifted our focus completely from our played games to the next game because it was so fast.

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Without reading those numbered points and a few other things, here are my thoughts.

1) I agree with Woodward in that I was under the impression that this was one group of games per week. I can make two work, but one night a week was partly why I signed up for this.

2) I would also really like set scheduling, but IMO we do that next season. We can pick a day, and if you can't make those nights, guys can work it out with captains when they will be able to make it or just not be able to participate. Not being able to participate would be too bad, but it is what it is.

3) This random scheduling (and having to do it in three days or so much less) is a massive pain in the ass. That isn't a shot at anyone, as that is how it has just been working out, but it's just where I stand on it.

4) I would like to do some content, but the lack of summaries and other stats (to my knowledge) really hinders that. Now I will go ahead and eat those words if there is something going on around here that has those things and I just missed it. That could easily be the case, as I have been very busy lately. The summaries is something that falls on my shoulders as a captain, and I hope to do content once I am done with TFL.

5) Don't forget, this is a sort of "pioneer" season- so everyone just keep calm and let this thing work itself out.

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    3) Thank you for reinforcing the fact that you actually have to physically be at your xbox in order to play in the league. See point 4. This isn't my first rodeo, I understand people have lives. Leagues on this site schedule around them constantly.

4) You are going to have to come to terms with the fact that there can easily be a scenario where your trifecta cannot be there. It's the nature of the beast. At some point it will affect every team in the league. If you are not fine with that, then again, refer to my point 7 in previous replies.

6) Who is forcing who to do what? I'm bringing this into conversation, nothing more. Look, all that had to have been said is, "Wednesday? I thought we were doing only 1 game per week, Drift. I know my team can't do that. I don't know about any of the others." We could have discussed it like we are doing now. I am PERFECTLY fine with one day a week, but I better see some content.

7) Very, very weak point, Mike. How many people are on your squad? It only takes you and/or John to have a couple messages with the opposing captain to schedule. Everyone else is free to post game recaps. It takes 5 minutes to put a few sentences together. 15-30 minutes for a quick team blurb or most other content examples I posted.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    So instead of wasting more time on pointless banter, let's talk about where to go from here.

If we are only going to play one fixture a week, let's get some ideas oven commitments to do some things that add value to the league.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

I have no problem writing reports. I do it for both fifa leagues even when it's not required. I can do that as long as I'm at the game and actually remember what happened. Games kinda mix together when you play a bunch in a row for me at least

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think the best solution for this is to maybe have guys set up to report game 1, game 2 and game 3. That way one person is responsible for doing it and it kind of shares the workload.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

This- or in between games have a quick recap at the team position screen with your team, write down some notes from the game, and go back and put it into sentences as paragraphs later.

It's something simple that we shouldn't be slacking on- just needs a half ounce of planning and effort.