Scheduling good mid majors against users next (and all future) years

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Scheduling good mid majors against users next (and all future) years

This was from the ND/GT thread, but I think it deserves its own thread.

I agree with this whole-heartedly (I'm not sure what Boise's record is, but you can thank me for 1 of their losses). I think that TCU, Utah, BYU, ECU, BSU, Fresno, Houston, and maybe a couple of others need to have user games next year.

In my offline dynasty's 3rd year, USC went undefeated as did Boise St. LSU and Wisconsin ended with 1 loss. Both LSU and Sconsin played about 4 teams that ended in the top 25, played 7 teams with winning records, and their opponents were roughly 65-45 on the season. BSU didn't play a single top 25 team, only played 3 teams with winning records (they were 7-5 each, but I suppose that still counts) and their opponents were roughly 40-70.

There's no way in hell that an undefeated team with that strength of schedule should be in the NC game over 1 loss teams from a BCS conference with much tougher strength of schedules, but that's just how EA rolls.

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I agree...I played Southern Miss this season but I think that was Archie setting me up to play the team I use in the OFFL Mid Majors.

3. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Agreed...

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I think the key is to have a list of these teams. Jello got most of them. Beyond that, it's just up to Basis to be able to fit them in. Maybe he has some abilities that AG didn't, but I know AG used to hate messing around with the schedules. I assume because it's tough to get everyone the right amount of user games, keep everyone's rivalry games intact, then work in the BCS busters as well.

I know nothing about making a schedule for a 12 team dynasty, but I'd think you should go about scheduling the user games first. Then try to see which BCS busters you can get into the schedules. If a couple don't fit in, they don't fit in.

5. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Love it. I played Houston last year to open the season and It was a nice challenge.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I am really going to enjoy doing the scheduling, as much of a pain in the ass as it will be.

I am going to start a seperate thread on this notion another time, but I will be making the schedules myself with SOME user input. You can give me teams you would LIKE to play, but in the end, I'll give you a good schedule. Everyone will get a BCS buster, and everyone will get an "easy" game, but since our home-home "contracts" are up after this year, I'll be deciding who plays who.

Notre Dame is not going to get more-than-average home rivalry games, either. I am not even sure that they do already, but their scheduling will be more in-line with the quality that the rest of the league faces.

Like I said, this is just the tip of the scheduling iceberg -- I will start a new thread when I am ready for you guys to give me suggestions on who you want to play OOC, etc.

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Making schedules for a 12 team dynasty is a pain in the butt...You have to consider:

Rivalries
    Keeping each team with good games to bring recruits in in the prime parts of the season
    Strength of Schedule
    Home v. Away (Is it even?)
    User Games (Who gets home?)
    Number of User Games (Do we all have about the same number?)
    Who played where last year in our contracts?
    Are the contracts all up or did "soandso still have to play whatshisface"?
    OOC game requests

8. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Typically we have 3, but one will always be a user game and usually 1 falls in the first week or 2 before most guys start scheduling visits. This year there was Purdue week 1 (worthless, can't schedule visitors), Michigan week 2 (Jello, 1 visitor) and Stanford in week 4 (invited everyone who was ready). Next year we should get MSU (JC), BC, and USC. If you want to try to do something like bump MSU up from week 3 to week 1 so I can't use it for recruiting, that's fine. But I would like to at least be able to keep playing my natural opponents, and please don't move the USC date if you can help it. As you know Basis, playing them in September wouldn't feel right.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yep, I hear ya. And that sounds about right, too. I WILL be trying to get Notre Dame 7 home games and 5 away, since that's how they (we) roll in real life. ND will never get more than 3 home rivalry games though, and I am going to attempt to put one in week 1 just to keep things fair. I don't want to disrupt the ND schedule too too much, but don't expect to be playing the Washington State's of the world every season ;)