Sciko's Guide: Tips & Tricks for TBL

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by klaximilian, Mar 26, 2011.

1. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

OK gentlemen, Townie did his version of tips & tricks, so now I'm going to share mine for those that feel they could use a little help. I understand that some of you are not seasoned veterans at this game, and some pick it up much faster than others. It ok, we're all going to have fun with this and hopefullly you find this "players guide" helpful.

A few things I should mention before I dig into it:

1) Play more. Trust me, I sucked at this game....hard. It was only until I started getting more reps in and I focused on my main problems that I started to see a vast improvement. I was constantly focusing on my eye, taking pitches, and finding better ways to get my cursor to the ball. The improvement will only come if you put the games in consistently for the first couple weeks to get used to the gameplay and all of its nuances. Just don't get discouraged if you can't put it together as fast as you would like, it's not going to happen overnight.

2) I want all of you to enjoy this game. It's only a week away (or less) until we start playing TBL for real. Competition is always fun, and I would like everyone to feel comfortable in their skills, knowing that they are able to take a pitch out of the zone, able to place a pitch in a spot they know it wont get creamed, an ultimately be able to compete and not be a doormat each and every game. What I'm about to tell you guys is designed to help everyone out if they feel that my methods are helpful and something they are willing to adopt. Some of you will shake your heads because you have your own methods that work....and thats perfectly fine. If you have any questions about the game up until opening day, feel free to ask. Once opening day hits, my tips and advice are closed to all. It's going to be a Battle Royale!!!

3) Exercise patience. Be patient with yourself, and in the game. Don't get mad if you don't see improvement right away. And be patient in the game. How many batters are willing to take the first strike in real life? Some of them even take two. Bring the pitch count up, and make the pitcher throw you stikes, don't give him strikes by chasing so often. That puts you (the batter) in a tough spot. Baseball is a game of patience, finesse, and concentration. It's a very cerebral game, so don't think that jamming away on the buttons will get your success and wins. It won't.

---------------

Batting
    1) First of all, hit the cages - Don't work on your hitting in the cages, focus more on your eye. Challenge yourself to take pitches, and recognize where you weakness in chasing ball are. Do you have trouble laying off the high fastball or the low off-speed? Or do you simply chase everything out of the zone.​
    Shrink the zone. Know where the strike zone is on your batter, and then shrink it some more. Focus more on pitchers that are in that smaller zone you have created (should be very good pitches to hit. Not too high, low, or in/out. Give yourself an extra split second to recognize the pitch. You should be able to differentiate a fastball from an off-speed pitch with enough repetition. Give yourself enough time that if it's a fastball, you can at least still foul it away, but if it's a change up you can pull it, or a curve you can lay off if it's dipping out of the zone. If your batting skills aren't up to par and you rush to swing at it, you're not giving yourself enough time to make a good decision on whether or not the pitch is hittable. Slow your swing and your decision making down until you have a trained eye.​
    2) Know your batter - If you are walking up the plate with an Albert Pujols who can crush the crap out of the ball at any given time, feel free to use the power button with a swing or two. If you come up with a sub .300 hitter who doesn't have the most power, maybe it's a better idea to use the normal swing so that you don't pop up or hit a dribbler back to the pitcher, or even worse....strikeout!​
    More importantly, utilize the contact swing (Circle, for those of you who didn't know). This is a new swing that they put in for this season that will likely neutralize the fact that they made this game harder at hitting. It's a defensive swing that is meant to foul off pitches, and fight to stay alive. I've had my fair share of battle with the contact button only to get a meatball and still rope it for a double. It works. It's not as solid contact as normal, or power if you can square the ball up....but it definitely will put the ball in play if you time if right and swing at a good pitch (and of course if you don't move the cursor in the complete opposite location).​
    Some batters you may want to even approach the plate with the contact button. So for instance, a very fast contact hitter who can get on by way of a simple ground ball. A slap hitter is a prime candidate for use of this button. It all goes back to knowing your hitter. I won't use swing with power with a Brett Gardner like I probably wouldn't start my at-bat out with A-Rod by using contact. Match your swing to their skills, at that alone should help you out.​
    3) How did my swing cursor go over there? - We've all been there. We've missed a pitch or two by going in the exact opposite location in which the ball was pitched to. It sucks, but who else can you blame? This skill is going to come with practice and time. I'm still trying to figure it out in a way that I feel confident with every AB. But I do have a few tricks that I use when I bat.​
    ~ Know your weakness - Do you suck at hitting pitches high in the zone, and does your opponent know it? Cheat to that location and wait for him to try and stump you with a high heater or whatever pitch he decides to locate up there. Thwart his ingenious decision by depositing one into the bleachers. Now you have him thinking, "where the hell do I place this."​
    You don't always have to cheat your cursor to your weakness, but if you see that he's exposing your weakness, make sure you remind him that you wont be a pushover in that location all game if he isn't going to challenge you elsewhere.​

~ Pick up on patterns. - Does he like to throw off-speed low in the zone, or out of the zone? Lay off the low ones until he puts himself into a hole and pipes one somewhere in a hittable location. Does he like to start batters out in a certain location or with a certain pitch that is a strike? Take the pitch a few times, but remind him that you wont take the pitch every time by anticipating it and shooting the gap with it.​

~ Know his pitches - First thing I do is I identify his strikeout pitch. He may have 2, depending on who you play. Watch for those pitches when you get into a hole (0-2, 1-2). He will be more more inclined to throw you junk or something out of the zone to get you to chase. If you continue to chase, you have nobody to blame but yourself.​

If his strikeout pitch is a curve, give yourself that extra split second to identify the pitch, especially if it's low in the zone. That low off-speed could very well dip out of the zone, so it's important to ID the pitch before getting happy thumbs (more on that later) and swinging at a poor pitch. If his strikeout pitch is a slider, know how much it breaks and ID the pitch location and determine whether or not a slider will still be in the zone. I won't be able to help you with pitch recognition, but there will be a pitcher who tries to outwit you and throw you a fastball in a slider situation, hoping that you anticipate slider out of the zone. if you give yourself that extra second to ID it, you can still catch the pitch late in the zone, and punch it to opposite field. This skill will come with practice.​

~ Happy Thumbs - Yes, we all have them from time to time. Control your thumbs. Our brain tells us one thing, our thumbs do another. Getting rid of happy thumbs and accidentally swinging at pitches we don't mean to will come when you relax. Learn that taking a pitch is OK! Happy thumbs also comes when you decide that pulling a pitch is more important than waiting to ID it before deciding to swing. If you can conquer happy thumbs and learn to exercise patience, your on your way to better hitting.​

I will get into pitching in my next post.​

2. OhDaesu19

OhDaesu19 Walk On

Very nice work!

3. xx Vols xx

xx Vols xx Vol Nation

Good stuff

4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

good stuff TJ

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

THIS​

6. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Pitching
    First, understand that just like batting, pitching is just as much of a mind game. You should be attempting to out-think, out-smart, out-wit your opponent. Throw the ball in the exact spot he's not anticipating, or in a location you know you can get a positive result. Every pitcher has their own style and skill set, but I will share with you mine and how I pitch to get batters out.​
    1) Location, location, location - Paint the corners. We're not putting a strict ball/strike ratio on you, so if you miss the zone barely, but a little more often than you want, do not worry. Unless of course you put yourself into bad pitching counts and start walking batters. In that case, I would ease back on the meter (Dont let it reach the top, there is a larger margin of error for maxed out pitches), and try to locate a little more inside the zone, but not too much. On a 5 pitch at-bat, its OK to average throwing 2 balls during it, especially if you are trying to hit the corners. There will be times when you throw more. We all have those days. If we all average 60% strikes or more each and every game, where are the walks going to come from? Walks are just as much a part of baseball as hitting. So don't cheat yourself by trying to not walk a single batter. You may pipe one that you don't want to, and cost yourself a HR instead of a walk.​
    ~ Move the ball - Don't consistently throw the ball in one location. The batter will eventually to key in on this, and quite honestly its a little bit cheesy. Move the ball, and keep the batter guessing. Don't be afraid to take the ball inside. You're the pitcher, it's your goddamn plate! Now go own it.​

Pitch it low and in, high and in, & then middle-away (maybe a few inches out of the zone.) See if they chase from time to time. If you constantly throw strikes, batters will feel the need to chase a pitch that is around the zone whether is it a strike or not. Nibbling the corners will cause you to throw a few more balls. This is where meter skill comes into play. You will need to know your pitcher and their windup so you can constantly pitch with pinpoint accuracy. If you can't do this, hit the pitching session (same game mode as the BP session) and practice until you can pitch accurately.​

~ Change eye-level - Moving the ball consistently up and down can mess with a batter's eye level, and quite honestly is a very effective method to pitching. If you mix this up enough, you force a batter to avoid "cheating" to the lower/upper half of the zone, which is typically larger than the east/west part of the zone, especially on taller batters. It's an intregal method to keeping the batter honest.​

2.) Know how to use your pitches - I've seen more mis-use of the breaking ball and offspeed than I want to. Take this for what it's worth....Breaking balls high in the zone or catching any part of the middle of the plate are asking for trouble. They may catch a batter off balance from time to time, but they also will be pounded if they are contacted cleanly.​

~ Breaking balls - When throwing breaking pitches, the purpose should be two-fold. Throw it to change speed, and throw it to deceive the batter into thinking the pitch will ultimately be in a particular location. Here is really where you want offspeed to end up. You either want to start it out of the zone, just to have it break barely in the zone (perferrably a corner).....or you want to start it in the zone, and have it break out of the zone just enough that it will miss the batter's swing, but still be convincing enough to initially be thought to be a strike. If you throw it so ridiculously out of the zone, you won't be fooling anyone if they are disciplined at the plate.​

~ Changeups - The same thing goes for a changeup. Keep it out of the middle of the zone, and most importantly....keep it low. A high change-up is good for nothing other than surprise effect, if you are lucky enough to get away with it. Feel free to move it in/out as you wish, but keep it in the lower half of the strike zone.​

~ Knuckleballs.....I dont freaking know. Just throw the damn thing and then let it do all the work and hope for the best.​

3) Establish your fastball - If you have ever been a pitcher, or a baseball player for that matter, you know that the fastball sets-up the rest of the pitchers arsenal. Without an established fastball, your off-speed is rendered useless because the batters don't have to worry about it and can wait on your off-speed. You get your fastball located early and often, and you make the batters have to swing at it. Personally, at the very least I throw a fastball (4-seam, 2 seam, Running, Cutter) around 60% of the time. Why??? Because it's the easiest pitch to locate, the best way to get ahead, and it challenges hitters to swing at pitches on the corners when you are locating it well. Also, it gets the batter thinking that the next pitch will be a fastball which is the perfect time to pepper in some off-speed.​
    Use the Fastball to get ahead early, and it makes the rest of the pitches available to use later as a strikeout pitch. get up early 0-2 or 1-2, and the batter automatically will have their back against the wall because you can waste a few breaking pitches out of the zone. Even better, most batters will anticipate a waste pitch or two, so sometimes its good to sneak in a 0-2 fastball somewhere on the corner.​
    4) Don't get predictable - I know I told you to use your fastball to set up the rest of your pitches, but you really have to feel out your opponent to see how he is responding to your fastball. If you see he is trying to jump them and is starting to get around on some pitches, its time to change it up a bit. Start an at-bat with a nicely located curveball or slider. Perhaps a changeup will suffice as well. Then put 2 fastballs by him. Move it around, change it up. Do exactly the opposite what/where you think the pitch would be if you were a batter. If you can constantly outsmart the batter, you have the upper hand and will prevail the winner.​

7. Bradkaz96

Bradkaz96 Sim-Nation LSU Tigers

Worst advice ever!!! Swing at everything and pitch only changeups down the middle and you will be sucessful ;)

jk, good stuff scikotic

8. OhDaesu19

OhDaesu19 Walk On

Again excellant work. One question I do have for you is what tips do you have for pitching to contact? Obviously strike outs are great but can drastically increase a starter's pitch count. I love the 4, 5 or 6 pitch 1-2-3 innings. It appears the bullpens in the Show are much easier to hit against than the starters, particularly middle relievers vs aces.

9. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Great job sciko, thanks

10. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Get ahead often and early. Batters will be forced to start swinging at pitches or they will be constantly taking strikes. To get contact outs fast, you will need to have great command of your pitches though, so pinpoint placement on corners will generate more outs via routine fly balls and groundballs than a fastball that catches more the middle part of the zone. Strikes in the middle are asking to be hammered, especially against the better hitters that cheat.

Also, getting out to a fast start will increase your confidence, which in turn effects how hard your pitcher will be hit. If his confidence is soaring, he will be tough to hit hard.

11. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

thx for the pitching tips TJ. just a suggestion, you should post these as individual posts in the reference section of the info center for ease of access to the info... not that this was/is all that difficult.

@Scikotic

12. xx Vols xx

xx Vols xx Vol Nation

Again Good Stuff...my biggest problem is locating the ball with the cursor and happy thumbs. I play much better when I am patient, i may get called out looking a couple time a game, but my hitting is better when I take alot of pitches.

What is the best way to pick up on the ball with the left stick, I cant seem to get this down. I have spent hours in practice and its not helping. Its expecially tough when you face a pitcher that throws in the mid 90's

13. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I assume that you are starting your cursor out in the middle when you are batting...

This is where shrinking the zone comes in to play. Find a pitch that makes it into a zone maybe half the size of the actually strike zone, and really attack those pitches. Make the pitcher work for his strikes. Many pitches that look to be strikes can end up barely missing. By shrinking your zone, you make better decisions to attack pitches that are going to be in more manageable locations rather than swinging at a first strike on the low and outside corner or maybe even out of the zone.

Also, to avoid making a snap judgement by swinging way to fast, perhaps ramping down your swing to contact will help when you feel you aren't skiled enough to pick up a pitch in the mid to high 90's. This of course will all come with training. Also, if you find your skills to match the cursor to the location are not yet sufficient enough to be an effective hitter, this is where picking up on patterns and possibly cheating comes in to play.

There are times when I feel completely overmatched at the plate and there is no way I will be able to hit a particular pitcher unless I can get inside of his head. If I can guess where the next pitch is going and what it's goign to be, I can let it rip. Again though, one of the biggest isses with cheating towards tendecies is that you can be completely wrong, or you may get a pitch in the general location where you anticipate it being, but it could be out of the zone or a different pitch. You end up getting happy thumbs, wanting to rip the crap out of the ball, but you swing prematurely and feel like kicking yourself after. Slow down your swing, let it get deep, and maybe even use the contact swing a few times if you are having difficulty catch up with the flame throwers.

14. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

bump, for any of you weekend guys who were out getting smashed and never saw this.

15. Pacalon

Pacalon Walk On

I'm having a few big issues, maybe you can help with:

1) I still haven't really gotten comfortable with the Total Analog stuff. I've been using it for Pitching and for Batting, and while I've got it pretty much down for both it doesn't feel as accurate as it should be for batting and for hitting it seems to be really hit or miss.. literally! Is it worth sticking with it or is the classic stuff better? Drives me nuts with pitching when I'll nail the meter perfect and the ball will be WAY off from where I put it.

2) LAG!!!! Is it just me or is it BAD? 3 out of the 6 games I've played this year have been terrible on my end. Like unplayable. I basically have to swing and hope to get lucky which leads to a ton of K's. Is it the game, or is it me? It's unfun when things are laggin like heck and choppy to the max. Makes me go into "what's the point?" mode and just get pissed. Maybe I need to open some ports on my PS3 or something!?

3) People throw a LOT of junk pitches. Which is fine, normally.. but when there's lag is there anything more annoying? I feel like I need to adjust my camera angles a bit too. I'm gonna move to Broadcast with pitching, but still trying to find my batting angle. I was using Catcher but it seems to really make pitches seem off. Any suggestions on a good batting angle? Might give Catcher 2 and 3 a try next.

16. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Yikes, I don't use the analog so I can't help with that.

As for lag, the only thing I can say is try to go wired if you are wireless. Turn off all computers, and if you must keep one on/open, you must not be downloading.

Seems like question 3 has alot to do with lag too, but in regards to camera angels, everyone is going to have one they like best. My suggestion is hit the cages and find one that works for you.

17. Pacalon

Pacalon Walk On

The lag is weird. Nothing is downloading, and I can play Madden on my 360 just fine with no problems. It seems like MLB on the PS3 is the only thing giving me fits right now.. I'm gonna look into port opening, or something, no idea what the issue is.

18. xx Vols xx

xx Vols xx Vol Nation

Wireless connections are notoriously bad for the Show...Always have been.

If you are wireless, your only option is find a way to run a hard line.

19. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I run wireless. No idea why but mine is clean.

Typically ran into issues wireless because it really does suck on this game, but when I moved and was forced to go wireless do to the modem location, I decided to give it a shot. No complaints. I am most likely the exception though.

20. xx Vols xx

xx Vols xx Vol Nation

Yeah I believe you are. A buddy on mine was lagging terribly on both ends when we would play last year. He went to a wired connection and that fixed the issues

21. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

22. Pacalon

Pacalon Walk On

I'm wired and it still lags nads, no idea.

23. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Who is your provider?

24. Pacalon

Pacalon Walk On

Comcast. Or suckcast.

25. Merenguito

Merenguito Walk On

I run wireless (Verizon FiOS) and it runs great for me. Did it last year too and had basically no connectin issue. I hope that stays that way for me this year.