Scoring Fairness...

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Jon Carroll, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I just wanted to find out how this is going to work. This is my first season on the tour and with people admitting that this warm up tournament wasn't run as smoothly and efficiently as the actual thing, i was just seeking a little clarification.

Someone raised in the "live weather" post that it's not feasible to expect everyone to be able to play 1 round a day for 4 days, thus some people will be playing 2 or 3 rounds in one day. Which i totally agree with and accept.

However, with everyone posting their scores into one thread it's quite possible that someone is going to be playing their 2nd or 3rd round, knowing someone elses final round score, which can be a massive advantage. For example, if i know that Dubya is one of the better players ( which he is ) and he finishes -6 through 4 rounds, and im -2 through 2 rounds... i have a massive advantage if i know this information - if you follow me.

I guess what im saying is, would it not be better for all involved if we could post our scores to someone ( one of the league admins ) who then in turns posts peoples round scores after a certain time. That way, nobody has the advantage of possibly knowing information that will cause them to be able to gain an advantage. Alternatively, is their not a way we should be concealing peoples round scores if they are submitting ahead of schedule.

2. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Sorry , thing i should have posted this in the TGA Tour forum - not here. Does an admin want to delete this from here ?

3. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Honestly even with live weather and everything,I don't think scores will be much different between tournaments...Once a baseline is established you'd know what you need to shoot...If I can give you an example with live tournaments,they change the conditions and courses every day,but I know that -18 will get me in the top3-5, -15 in top 25 etc...May vary by couple of shots day to day ,but it's the same for most part...

But I mean hey if they like the extra work go for it

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

For the official tournaments, anyone that hasn't posted the first 3 rounds scores by the start of the 4th round will not post "official" scores for the tournament - they'll be considered as missing the cut. They'll still receive points for their position, but it will be among those who don't complete the entire event.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

6. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I take it the other one was closed, as i can't find it in the other area.

My problem was not so much late posters, but also early posters. People who perhaps have to play round 3 and 4 whilst most other people are on round 2 ?

But i do like the rule on late posters, i think this will help. In short i guess, will there be a minimum and maximum post time in which people can't post a certain round score before / after ?

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah Noles closed the other thread when I was posting, it was pretty funny... however, there shouldn't be ANY early posters. There was confusion with how the Par 3 tournament was scheduled/coordinated/run that won't exist moving forward. I'll keep this in mind though, as I do agree with you - I think that the changes that will be made will help though! We'll see!

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

bear in mind, this is a learning process being our first year doing this. There will be some bumps in the road.

9. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Yeah, completely understand and very grateful to the guys running the tour. Looking forward to it. Just throwing in a suggestion, no malice intended :)

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

In a situation where someone will miss their final round, what is fair? Let them play Wednesday and post it?

11. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I guess if they cant spare the hour to play on the Thursday, but can manage to get online for a couple of minutes etc - then ask them to withold posting their score until Thursday. In the event that they cant do that, post the score to you, or perhaps the lowest ranked flight captain to upload the next day with their scores ?

Just some suggestions ?!

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

See, to me, having their 4th round score posted on Wednesday when we all have to play on Thursday gives everyone on THURSDAY the advantage. I kind of think that if that is the case, there should be a very slight penalty for not being able to play on the proper day, which this might be.

13. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Basis, if someone can't play two of the days (M-W) but can play on one - is there a problem with playing all 3 rounds in 1 day? Splitting a tournament into 3days is just tough for me at times.

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

All 3 rounds must be complete before Thursday every week. Those that aren't will be considered to have "missed the cut". You could theoretically play 3 rounds on Wednesday, but best efforts must be made to play on the days arranged. We'll deal with that when it comes up, cool?

15. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Sounds good boss.

16. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I agree. Thats why i think that person should withold there score if possible (it would be in there best interests), as long as they have informed the appropriate person they are playing their final round early. Or if not, if they post it to you , so that you can post it on Thursday. So that no advantages are gained / disadvantages.

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

But I'm saying they kind of deserve that disadvantage... but that might be too harsh! Just bouncing ideas out there. The score can easily be withheld and posted on Thursday, which is probably the best route - I'm more or less playing devil's advocate.

18. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I suppose it depends on the reason and thats where it starts becoming very case sepcific. If someone is doing it because they can't be bothered, fair enough, they deserve the penalty.

If someone is doing it because they are going on holiday the next day or overnight on business or something, it could be harsh.

With a week break in between, is there any reason why all 4 rounds are played in such quick succession ?

19. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah, I agree. The rounds are set up as such so that we keep moving at a good pace. Also, most of us (if not all) have other interests outside of TW 12, including other games. The schedule takes that into account.

20. gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99 Walk On

I'm glad we have this rule of 240 total avg for the attributes. I'm on another TW Online league, it only has 2 rds per week, but there is no cap on player attributes. There is a guy that has played it like a wild man, not sure if he did his building up of his CAG on Tour Pro or not, but he has his CAG built up to 100 in every category. After 2 rds he's -31, which is about 25 strokes better than anyone else so far. It's cool, I understand it's all a game, but I'm doing my best to shoot -1 or E with my CAG, that is currently just under 240 avg total.

From what I hear from the other guys is, once you have your CAG built up to 100, the putts drop like bombs, also I guess what I'm saying is as a golf purist, I like the 240 avg rule b/c -31 thru 2 rounds just doesn't sound "realistic"....MAYBE after 4 and some really good playing but not after only 2 rounds.

It's just a game and it's meant to be fun but when you are playing and shooting -1 after 2 rounds and the guy in first place is -31 it's kinda like, uh....ok....

So, thanks for the rules here :)

21. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I hear ya, and agree that this is a good setup. I've played with Dub-Ya many a time and see him shoot -6 or -7 around Augusta. Played with him yesterday where he shot his -12. Flawless Tiger Woods right there. Which considering we're all capped at 240, makes that achievement quite something. Hope he drops a few over 2 and 3 though :p

22. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I may drop a few over 2 and 3, say -6 on round 2 and a -5 for round three :D

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Stop lying saturday pins are the easiest !!! Well for my setup anyway

24. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Can you tell me if this constitutes "best efforts"?

- I'm on my college's golf team. We had our conference tournament Monday (27 holes in the rain / wind/ bitter cold) and today (9 in worse conditions all around)
    - tried signing up for monday, but was completely exhausted and passed out before the time came (took my name off before 9 pacific)
    - working on a 2 hour presentation for college (tomorrow from 11-1 central)

Can I squeeze the three rounds in on Wednesday, before going to work on my federal taxes exam which is due thursday?

25. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That works, no problem.