Scoring Offense, and Scoring Defense in our Dynasty

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Scoring Offense, and Scoring Defense in our Dynasty

Taking a look at the stats through week 6 I see a few trends:
    • Most of our teams are in the thick of the top scoring offense category
    • But there are several other teams: Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Baylor for example who are right there with us as well.
    • We also have a top 3rd of the worst scoring defenses in the dynasty.
    • What does this mean in terms of analysis? I dunno you guys discuss.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The simple fact of the matter is that we learn how to score, and most of us get better and better as we go. We started out putting up silly numbers, and while those numbers came down, we were so far ahead that no one could catch up. Also, we have begun to learn the D, and our points are climbing up again, which is why I have to put the screws to you guys in the near future.

The real concern is coming from teams who seemingly can't be stopped, even when, as ratings go, they should be very stoppable. If a mid-level offense is never stymied, then we need to turn it up. Otherwise, there's no need for good players. Any players will do. If this is the case, then recruiting well has no benefit.

Still, without those first couple of Tebowesque weeks, more CPU teams would be closer than they are.

Plus, there are obviously some go-to plays out there that guys are calling over and over. We've had multiple touchdowns scored out of the goal line set called outside the 15-20 yard line, a three TD receiving performance by a fullback, etc. Straight up - the D is pretty tough. If we're putting up huge numbers with average players (or even with really good players), we're gaming the system, if only slightly. I haven't seen anything to get in a twist over, but we all do the sim thing a bit differently. How we use our playbooks is a factor in the offensive numbers. There's no doubt about that.

As long as we are the best offenses in the country, and we can't get those numbers down, the only way to create a realistic chance of losing is to see that the CPU can score, and score often. However, it is my experience that solid play calling and execution dramatically affects these numbers. I've been able to hold people pretty well, but I have one of the better rated defenses, so I'm probably playing with an advantage here.

The way I see it: Address the first part, and then we can deal with the second. Otherwise, we're just engineering blowouts.

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Lame.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch, I see you had a comment about using the goalline offense outside of the 15-20 yard line. Is this a problem? I read the rules for the site and see that it is not mentioned there. I use this quite often to eat up the clock, and never pass out of it unless I am on the goalline. I run about 6 different plays out of it and it is a Power I formation which is double tights, two fullbacks, and a halfback. I want to know if this is an issue? I do get nice runs out of it from time to time, but usually I only get 3-4 yards if I make the right adjustment at the line. I seriously want to know if it is an issue. I will say this, it is not how I am getting my big plays, but it is a big part of my ball control style of play.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Mind elaborating on your idea of what solid playcalling is? I think I do a good job of doing it, but I would like to hear from you about this. Obviously you are doing something good to only have given up 74 with 28 coming in a user-user game. What is your rationale in making a call? What do you find effective, which player do you control on defense, ect.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Typically, what you don't see in a real game is what we don't want to see in our games. However, your goal line set is a power I, which is a bit different. No one lines up in a traditional goal line set at midfield, or just inside the red zone. Throwing in a seldom seen set now and then to change things up is fine. But if the power I is a primary formation, that's a bit iffy, unless you're playing in the sixties.

Well, I have the benefit of some pretty stellar players, so I rarely send more than one extra guy on a blitz, and I'm usually playing two safeties back, keeping guys in front of me, etc. I don't gamble much. The more snaps I make the other guy take, the more chances I have to force a mistake, get a sack, etc., so I play deep first, and recover to the ball. I back coverage off on 3rd and eight, show blitz or pinch the D-line on 3rd and 2 ... stuff like that. And I play the free safety. He gets blocked the least, and has the best chance to clean up a missed tackle, which means I give up the fewest big plays that way.

That's the general philosophy, at least.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Would 10-15 plays a game out of the power I be bad? Keep in mind this is usually when I have a lead and have stopped throwing

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Also alot of your defensive stuff I do cept the free saftey and pinch I might want to mix that in. I am typically in an even front with some zone behind it I try to run blitz on first down and then go vanilla after that...but I still get ripped usually it is broken tackles that hurt me the most

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't know. Maybe I'll play with it a bit. Seems to me that the CPU isn't going to call a goal line defense outside the five, so it might be that a power I gives you a big personnel advantage when the CPU D sticks with a base set. If that's the case, you might rip off some big runs using it, and the CPU might not have a way to stop you.

But I don't know any of that. It's just a possibility. I'll run it some in an exhibition, and see if anything looks out of whack. I haven't heard anything like this, but it's worth a look.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I had a receiver break a tackle and go sixty plus on me for a score last game, but that's the only one that really hurt me. I'm usually able to clean it up, or hold the guy up long enough for someone to clean up for me. Again, it's probably just the ratings of the guys I have on D. I'm kinda loaded.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

It really is no different than my I formation two tights look I guess I will just run it instead so there is no issue. I think when u try it out u will find it is really pretty kosher

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm sure it is. Don't worry about making changes unless I happen upon a discussion somewhere that says there's a glitch or something. Run your team how you want to run your team.