Scout Central - Recruiting Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I thought it would be cool to have a place to discuss recruiting and how to do it. Some of us have had pretty good success over the years, so I thought we could help each other out.

If you have questions, post them here. I'll drop by from time to time and post whatever I think you might find useful.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Tip #1: If you have a need, you're already behind a year. Anticipate your needs two years out. Every position that is starting a junior should be one you are recruiting for in a big way. Every position starting a senior should already have the next guy in place. This even goes for the kicking game. It may seem a waste to carry two kickers and two punters, but if you're looking for the kind of balance that discourages transfers, you can spare the roster slots.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

How many recruits do you put on your board at one time? Personally I start with 15, once I get the guys I have a real need for I stick to 10 guys on the board so I can put 60min into each.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Which leads me to:

Tip #2: Fill your boards. You get points - though only a small number - just for having a guy on your list. If you're thinking of spending time on a guy later, put him on your board now. If you offer a scholarship and never talk to him, you'll still get points each week, (you'll get points even if you don't) sometimes enough to make landing him late pretty easy.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Tip #3 Go after guys who have you ranked in the top 3. I avoid chasing guys who have me ranked 8th or 9th. If I am not in the top 4-5 range I am not recruiting you. This makes your success rate rise substantially and will make signing more prospects an easier task to accomplish.

6. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

How do you guys start out recruiting? Do you just State your case, or do you first spend time finding out how important a subject is to a recruit?

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

I find out how important each pitch is before I start giving them my pitches. Reason being is I need to know what is important to them when they come to visit. I also sway on anything that my school is B+ or better on and their importance is yellow.

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

This works if your a 6* school but if not your just going to get a lot of mediocre kids it seems like. I will recruit anyone in my top 10 and find unless another user is recruiting them they usually come around by the end of the season.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You can get guys you're down the board on, but you have to get the guys who are getting ignored. If you're number six, and numbers 1-3 are paying attention, you're not going to get that kid. Now, if you have some advantages (in-state kid, pitches that agree with your program, no other offers) you can make up some gaps, but know when you're out of the running, and spend that time elsewhere. A three star in the seventies is a starter - he's just not a starter in the first year. I'll take a choice between two or three three star guys over a 25% chance of landing a four star. In the long run, you'll be better off.

Time is recruiting currency. The guys who have the most success (and I'd say Tom and Ego might have done the most with the least) get big classes of moderate to good recruits, and you rarely see them miss. I think this is the model to follow, especially if you're not a six star.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

But if you waste a bunch of time on 4 "top 150" guys and only sign 1 what good is that? Using my method I can bring in 4 guys for the time you spend on 1 commitment. One star player can change a team, but I would rather have a nice balanced team I can work with instead.

I have done this with Penn State as a 5 star and have had great success. You do get some mediocre kids, but you get them early and then can spend your time elsewhere. I finished in the top 3 in recruiting two years ago at PSU thanks to my success at the 4 star level. I went after easy targets and won those battles. Then I put them in the program and progressed them. As Archie said before having a plan and executing it works best for me. I see spots where I need help and go after them in advanced. The offensive line is a spot I ALWAYS recruit so I have plenty of depth and lots of quality guys to play. WR and HB are two other spots I target.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

I hear what your saying easy, personally I like to focus on fewer guys but the guys I do focus on are the best guys I can find for the position I have needs at.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree AG, we have a lot of talented guys in the league. Lots of great tips in here that I will for sure be adding to my recruiting this year.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Tip #4: Pick your battles - If you're going to duke it out with another user, know that it will cost an hour a week. If you're fighting with several users, your time to spend on other recruits will be severely limited. Choose carefully, because you have to win most of the battles you choose to fight. Look at the differences between schools, the schedules and the weeks in which your opponents will likely schedule a visit, and needs. These things will tell you a great deal about your chances.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Tip #5: Develop Pipelines Strategically - Look at your map and ask this question: What state should I have a pipeline into? Now, understand that these pipelines should not always be about the sexiest state with the most prospects, as these states will also have the most competition. Instead, ask what state you could dominate with a pipeline.

Example: OSU has Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida. I wanted to add one (back when I was the coach the first time around). At first, I thought about Texas and California, but everyone goes there. I thought about Indiana or Illinois. Indiana meant dueling with Notre Dame, as did Illinois, and Illinois was two states away, making me think there was a good option closer to home.

Then I looked at Kentucky. It's not a big time state for prospects, but I'm pretty much looking at competing with Louisville and UK, and that's about it. No user competition, and huge ratings advantages over in-state competition. I recruited my four, and now I have Kentucky as a pipeline. One of my five stars this year is a Kentucky kid, and I think he's the second or third five-star plucked from the Bluegrass state in the last few seasons.

Work those pipelines. They pay off huge. Also, don't neglect them. You can lose pipeline states if you're not careful.

15. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

My recruiting class sucks this year. I made a mistake and only went after high-caliber draft prospects and switched way too late. Im feeling a Florida downfall next season, however I think Im slowly getting the hang of recruiting in general.

16. bdub

bdub Walk On

I did the same thing. For some reason in past years as Miami I hadn't really had to compete with other users for kids but it seems like this year everyone I go after, I have someone else after him to. Iowa and Clemson have already gotten guys away from me that I thought I was going to get. I will certainly be changing my stratagy next season.