Screens and Draws

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Baron, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Are the bane of my defensive existence. Seriously, I'm running two OD's, an offline dynasty, with Ohio State, Nevada, and Ohio University, and at every level no matter what defense (4-3, 4-2-5, and Multiple respectively) man, zone, blitz, zone blitz, etc. adjustments these plays always seem to gash me for big yards.

(Needless to say when I run screens the receivers let the ball hit them in the helmets and look confused that someone would throw an object at them but that's another issue. My O is ok, but I seriously just lost a game 40-35 West Virginia vs. Ohio that I woulda won if I'd stopped maybe one or two screen and draw plays).

So, any suggestions from the fine folks of TSO?

Also this thread is off limits to anyone in my OD's or anyone who will tell said person's in my OD's about this thread.

2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

The people in your OD won't ever come into the coach's office? ;)

It kind of depends on when they're running the screens/draws. Generally speaking, those are run mostly on third down, although there are obviously lots of exceptions.

Generally speaking, if you want to stop the draw, don't line up in DB heavy formations. Nickel will usually do if they try to spread you out. If they try to spread you out, you can call a zone to keep your linebackers from getting spread out. Not using pass commit when they run a draw also helps.

For the screens, as long as you're not dropping back into a deep zone you should be okay. Man coverage can usually sniff it out. A spy also helps. The easiest way to stop the screen, though, is to just move your user controlled player over there when you see it developing.

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Baron what position player do you play with? I generally play with a linebacker, and I usually can recognize the screen play coming, and run directly to the running back. Probably another option is when you think a screen pass is going to be ran have your DE play contain, that is just a suggestion. I never have used the contain to stop the screen pass.

Also, is it me or does it seem harder to run any HB screen play? When I try to run the screen pass my back is constantly being engulfed by the DE

4. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

A well-timed lob pass can get your HB is good position to run with some blockers ahead. Of course he can be held up by the D-end but it works better for me if I lob the pass.

5. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I usually have the problem that my play side tackle goes backwards and sits right in the RBs path so the back just keeps trying to run through him instead of around, lol.

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

for screens, IMO look for some of the regular screens not the slip screens. they seem to do a bit better job protecting the QB and letting the play develop. if you're facing a good front line, those slip screens can result on your QB getting blasted before the HB is ready for the pass.

7. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

I usually play with a defensive lineman on most plays. I'm pretty good at getting pressure on the QB and occasionally negative plays on runs with it. It's just that the Screen and Draws easily take advantage of my aggression. So far, I've really focused mostly on watching for signs of the screen/draw and then slowing the player I'm controlling up. This is easier on the HB screens as the lineman pulling out are more obvious, IMO. Draws it's a bit easier to keep the DT in and force the runner to go a different route. I'm still having trouble with the normal WR Screen's though, as my DL is too far away and the other defensive players get caught in the wash.