Season-1 - Game of the Week previews

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by dj illmatic 23, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 1 Game of the Week
    San Francisco ( CalebMackie )
    at
    Green Bay ( dakota7 )
    The inagural season of The Longest Yard kicks off with a bang as two of the most talented teams in the NFL square off as the San Francisco 49'ers travel to take on the Green Bay Packers. Both teams are loaded with talent, and both have their sights set on a Super Bowl appereance this year. The winner of this game can establish themselves as the early favorite for NFC champion. The 49'ers will be without a key piece to their championship puzzle as MLB Patrick Willis will miss this game. This could be a key factor in the game as Willis is the leader of that defense, and makes every receiver think twice about coming across the middle. The Packers on the other hand come into this game completely healthy.
    All eyes in San Francisco are on second year quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick has been given the starting job by coach Caleb despite the impressive job Alex Smith did last year. Kaepernick brings the theat of the run to the 49'ers offense as he is extremely fast. He also has a much stronger arm than Smith, although he is not as accurate. It will be interesting to see how the QB situation plays out this season for the Niners. The 49'ers made sure in the off season that whoever was under center would have a new weapon to play with when they signed WR Randy Moss. Moss is on the back end of his career, but he can still make plays especially when defenses have to worry about the best TE in the league in Vernon Davis. San Francisco's number one priority is to run the ball, led by Pro Bowl HB Frank Gore. Gore is one of the best RB's in the league, and his ability to move the chains and the clock will help keep the explosive Packers offense off the field. Also look for rookie HB LaMichael James to see some action. James has explosive potential, but also has the potential to cough up the rock.
    On the defensive side of the ball, the 49'ers will look to DE Justin Smith to pressure Aaron Rodgers into making mistakes. The Niners have a solid secondary led by veteran Carlos Rodgers, but they do not want to ask them to cover the Packers receivers for too long. It will be up to the defensive line to get pressure without relying on the blitz and leaving Green Bay's receivers looking at single coverage. The Packers don't run the ball much, so the loss of Willis might not be felt as much this week.
    The Packers are led by MVP QB Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is becoming, if not already, the best QB in the NFL. He can make every throw, and he has a talented group of receivers to throw to led by WR Greg Jennings and TE Jermichael Finley. If Rodgers is given time to throw, this offense is almost unstoppable. If the Packers offense does have one weakness it is the left side of the offensive line. While they are talented at these positions, they are also young. The Niners may look to attack this side of the line with various blitzes, and try to put Rodgers on his back. The Packers signed HB Cedric Benson in the off season to bolster the running game. This may be the time to put him to work with the 49'ers missing Willis in the middle.
    The Packers defense will look to Clay Matthews to slow down the run, and put QB Colin Kaepernick on his back. If the Packers hope to win, they will need their front seven to stop the run and force the young QB to beat them. Veteran Charles Woodson is making the transition to SS this season, and he would love the opprotunity to catch an errant throw or two from Kaepernick. The key match up for the defense is their LB's against TE Vernon Davis. Kaepernick will likely rely on Davis as a security blanket as he gets his feet wet in his first start.
    If the Niners were missing any other player besides Patrick Willis, I would have to pick them. They may have the best all around offense in the league, and can beat you in so many ways. However, Willis is a huge loss. It's hard to beat an explosive offense without your best defensive player. Niners hang close, but fall short in the end.
    Prediction: Green Bay-31 San Francisco-20

• Like Like x 4
  2. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Caleb I need you to win so I can do what the Bears should have done on Thursday. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I call this one FNG v The Veteran.

This should be a great matchup. I know Caleb went very deep in the official TSO Madden 13 launch tournament. He goes up against Dakot, a great player who I spent a few years with in The Experience. I would be interested in watching this one if it were broadcasted.

Good luck, Gents.

4. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

I give this one to the pack. No Willis and Bowman traded. Big hole for Cedric Benson to slam it in. Give Rodgers a chance for PA. Not by much but I think pack by 3

5. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

Good stuff dj! I really enjoyed reading this, losing Willis will be definitely the difference maker of this match up for sure. Hopefully I can move Brooks or even Haralson to fill his shoes but they most definitely have some large shoes to fill.

6. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

I give this Caleb, I know him from TMFL and he went deep in the tourney as Randeisel said. I don't know Dakota too well so yea, I pick Caleb and the 49ers to win

7. CalebMackie

8. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

So, uh...I guess we know the Game of the Week for week 2 already, eh? :D

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

The Rams and Skins? :p

10. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Week 2 Game of the Week
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Baltimore ( TheRealHalupka )
    at
    Philadelphia ( Ghost )
    In this week's featured game two early season favorites look to rebound from disappointing week one loses. For the Ravens, they were defeated by division rival Cincinnati. The Eagles lost to the Browns in week one as HB Trent Richardson ran all over them in his debut. While the Ravens come into this game completely healthy, Philly is battling several injuries. LB Mychal Kendricks, C Steve Vallos, and RT Todd Herremans will all miss this game. The two offensive lineman are a big loss and contributed to the loss to Cleveland last week. Cleveland was able to pressure Vick all game, and Cleveland doesn't have Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, or Haloti Ngata.
    The Ravens come into this game with their first priority being to cut down on the turnovers. Four interceptions last week led to their defeat, and Baltimore can't afford to give Philly extra possessions. QB Joe Flacco had a decent game when he wasn't throwing it to the Bengals. He amassed over 300 yards and 3 TD's. WR Anquan Boldin will look to continue the pace he set last week with 8 catches for 125 yards and a TD. Baltimore needs to get their biggest deep threat WR Torrey Smith the ball this week. He had only one catch last week in the loss. The player that needs to get the ball the most however is HB Ray Rice. Rice had only 15 carries last week. After seeing the damage HB Trent Richardson did to the Eagles D last week, I'm sure Rice can't wait for his turn. On defense, the Ravens are led by the names we all know and love. They should have a field day teeing off on Vick with all the injuries to the Eagles O-line. However, Andy Dalton carved them up last week, so Vick could have some success.
    For the Eagles, their gameplan needs to include establishing the run. Philly ran for only 16 yards last week, which allowed the Browns D-line to pin their ears back and get after Vick. HB LeSean McCoy is a game breaker, but a fumble last week turned the momentum of the game, and caused Philly's coach to lose faith in him. The Eagles have to run the ball, or Vick may not make it out of this game in one piece. Vick also has to cut back on his turnovers. WR's DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin need to produce some big plays in the passing game as well for the Eagles to pull this one out. On defense, Philadelphia must do a much better job of stopping the run. They can't afford to have Ray Rice eat up big chunks of yards at a time, and set up the play action pass.
    Both teams come into this game needing a win. Philly's offensive line was horrible last week against Cleveland, and now they're asked to face the most talented defensive team in the league. It seems unfair. Vick will make some plays to keep it close, but in the end Ray Rice will have the final say so.
    Prediction
    Baltimore-31 Philadelphia-23

• Like Like x 2
  11. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Too bad the Game of the Week is looking like it's gonna get simmed...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Week 3 Game of the Week
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Houston ( I Peench )
    at
    Denver ( nellycuz )
    In this week's featured game the 1-1 Houston Texans travel to Denver to take on the 1-1 Broncos. The Texans are coming off a disappointing loss last week against the Jaguars. Meanwhile, the Broncos defeated the Falcons in a shoot out. Houston comes into this game completely healthy, but the Broncos will be without the services of CB Tracy Porter and RG Chris Kuper.
    The Texans come into this game with QB Matt Schaub on fire. In two games he has thrown for 669 yards, 6 TD's and only 1 interception. The benificiaries of Schaub's hot streak has been WR's Andre Johnson and Mike Williams. Johnson leads the team in catches and yards, while Williams leads the team in TD's. The player who has been lost in Schaub's hot start is HB Arian Foster. Foster is averaging 4.7 yards a carry, but has yet to get in the endzone. The Texans may want to establish the run a little more to keep the Denver pass rush at bay.
    On the defensive side of the ball, Houston has to get more pressure on the QB. They have only one sack on the season, and you cannot give Peyton Manning a clean pocket to throw out off. While they cannot get to the QB so far this season, their defense has been opprotunistic. They have five interceptions in only two games. DE JJ Watt could be the key to the Texans success. If he can harrass Manning, the Broncos could be in for a long day.
    The Broncos are led by QB Peyton Manning. Manning has looked impressive in his first season in Denver throwing for 688 yards, 6 TD's, and 3 TD's. Manning has targeted WR Demaryius Thomas the most, and he leads the team in all receiving categories. Manning also has a nice connection with TE Jacob Tamme going from their days together in Indy. The suprise for the Broncos this season has been rookie HB Ronnie Hillman. Hillman is averaging 9.5 yards a carry on the season. Despite Hillman's success, HB Willis McGahee is still the work horse as he leads the team in carries.
    While the Texans have struggled pressuring the QB, the Broncos have had no such trouble. Denver has 9 sacks on the season, led by DE Elvis Dumervil's four. If they expect to slow down the red hot Schaub, the Broncos will need to continue this success. The Broncos have also been more successful creating turnovers with 10 interceptions in only two games. They key matchup will be how All-Pro CB Champ Bailey handles All-Pro WR from The U Andre Johnson.
    The Texans come into this game with a red-hot QB, a beast of a WR, and one of the best HB's in the league. However, their defense has let them down so far this year. The Broncos defense is playing lights out, but stopping Andre Johnson and Arian Foster is a tough task for any team. Denver keeps it close, but falls short in the end.
    Prediction
    Houston-28 Denver- 20

• Like Like x 4
  13. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Nice write up dj illmatic 23

Your prediction skills scare me as he did beat me by 8 points..but it was 32-24....Well done!

14. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Thanks. Don't let my prediction skills scare you though. While my pick for the winner involves some forethought regarding my knowledge of the user's ability and the ability of the teams involved, I pull the final score predictions out of my ass:)

15. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

This proved so true. He shredded me when he had a clean pocket.

16. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 4 Game of the Week
    Carolina ( Blaza )
    at
    Atlanta ( Hokie Effect )
    In this week's featured game, we have two teams who are in the spotlight for the wrong reason. Both Carolina and Atlanta were predicted to battle New Orleans for the NFC South crown. Atlanta was even a favorite for the conference title and a Super Bowl berth. Three weeks in, both teams are winless and hoping desperately to save their season with a win this week. The winner of this game will take a step towards that, while the loser can start making off season plans. Neither team can use injuries as an excuse as both teams come into this game completely healthy.

Carolina comes into this game looking to get their running game on track. The Panthers have been unable or unwilling to sustain their running attack this season. HB DeAngelo Williams, one of the most explosive players in the league, is only averaging 10 carries a game. The Panthers must get him the ball more. QB Cam Newton has played well this season with 7 TD's and only 3 interceptions. However, he has been sacked 10 times, so the offensive line must do a better job of protecting him. Newton's favorite target has been WR Steve Smith. TE Greg Olsen has been Newton's favorite target in the red zone and leads the team in receiving TD's. Also look out for WR Brandon LaFell. He is averaging an astounding 26.6 yards per reception.

If the Panthers hope to win this game and get back on track this season it will start with the defensive front four. Carolina has been unable to get any pressure on the QB all season with only two sacks. They cannot give Matt Ryan time to throw the ball to his explosive collection of weapons. DE Greg Hardy must do what the Panthers drafted him to do, sack the QB. The biggest spotlight will be on MLB Jon Beason. It will be Beason's responsibility to stuff the run as well as cover TE Tony Gonzalez.

The Falcons struggles begin and end with the following statistic, Matt Ryan has thrown 6 TD's and 13 interceptions. You cannot win in this league turning the ball over four times more than your opponents. Ryan has been sacked 11 times and may be hurrying throws, because he's worried about the rush. In order to take some of the pressure off Ryan, HB Michael Turner needs to move the chains on the ground. This could set up some easy play action passes for Ryan, and allow him to get some confidence back. Ryan also needs to involve Julio Jones in the offense more. Jones is third on the team in receptions. The Falcons may also look to get TE Tony Gonzalez involved more as he has only 8 receptions on the season and no TD's. Another thing to keep an eye on is K Connor Barth. He has struggled as well going 2 for 4 on FG attempts.

The Falcons D has been put in tough spots all year because of the offense's turnovers. The defense needs to come up with some takeaways of their own as they have only 3 on the season. Atlanta has also had a problem getting to the QB. They have only four sacks on the year. The player in the spotlight for Atlanta will be LB Sean Weatherspoon. It will be his responsibility to contain the rush as well as keep Cam Newton from running the ball when passing plays break down.

Both teams need this game badly. While both have struggled, the Panthers have done a good job of not turning the ball over. Meanwhile, the Falcons give the ball away as if it were a charity organization. I can't pick a team that turns the ball over that much.
    Prediction
    Carolina-38 Atlanta-21

• Like Like x 7
  17. CalebMackie

Really good stuff dj illmatic 23!

I love how much research you are putting into this - No half assing here you're giving some nice input here, at first it always looks a little long but once I start reading I just can't stop. Respect man, you are really doing your homework on these games of the week

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Helluva analysis dj illmatic 23. I really enjoyed reading that man, especially the stats you threw in to add color.

You hit the nail on the head with the Panther squad. Offensively we are making plays, but we just aren't getting off the field enough on defense. We will really need to figure out a way to confuse Matty Ryan or make him uncomfortable at the very least.

Two very talented teams who need to prove it on the field and start winning some games. Pretty much sums her up.

19. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Good stuff dude.

20. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 5 Game of the Week
    Tennessee
    at
    Minnesota
    In this week's featured game, the struggling Tennessee Titans travel to Minnesota to take on the Minnesota Vikings. The Titans are winless on the season and need to get things turned around in a hurry. Unfortunately for the Titans, they will be without the services of HB Chris Johnson. The Vikings are also battling several injuries. FB Jerome Felton, WR Percy Harvin, FS Jamarca Sanford, and LB E.J. Henderson will also miss the game this week.

The Titans have struggled this season with second year QB Jake Locker at the helm. Locker has only thrown 5 TD's, and has been intercepted 9 times. When Locker is throwing to the correct team, TE Jared Cook has been his favorite target. Tennessee needs to get the ball in WR Kenny Britt. Britt is their most dangerous player in the passing game, but he has only 15 receptions. The Titans need to run the ball more effectively, but this may be difficult without Johnson. HB Jevon Ringer will be asked to pick up the slack.

Tennessee's biggest problem on defense has been their inability to force turnovers. The Titans have forced only 2 turnovers on the year. They must come up with some takeaways and set their offense up with favorable field position if they hope to get in the win column. DE Derrick Morgan has done an effective job rushing the passer and leads the team in sacks. The pressure will be on MLB Zac Diles to slow down HB Adrian Peterson, and force Christian Ponder to beat them.

The Vikings plan is to get the ball in Adrian Peterson's hands and enjoy the show. The best HB in football has rushed for 458 yards ad 5 TD's so far this year. If he can control the chains against Tennessee, the Vikings could move above .500 for the year. The Vikings' running game has allowed QB Christian Ponder to have a much smoother transition than Locker. Ponder has thrown only 5 TD's as well, but he has only turned the ball over three times. With WR Percy Harvin injured, Ponder's favorite targets have been WR Jerome Simpson and TE Kyle Rudolph. Without Harvin, the Vikings do not have a deep threat, so look for the Titans to load the box in order to stop Peterson.

On defense, the player to watch is DE Jarred Allen. Allen has only two sacks on the year, but he is always capable of a big game. Allen must make sure he contains Locker and does not let him get out of the pocket. CB Chris Cook leads the team in interceptions with 3, and would love to add to that total this week.

If Tennessee had a healthy Johnson, I would be tempted to pick them. They don't, so I'm not.
    Prediction
    Minnesota-30 Tennessee-14

• Like Like x 2
  21. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Another great GoTW post.

Do I sense a Battle of Ohio game of the week for week 6?

22. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Titans are on auto-pilot. Have been all season... Minnesota 42- Titans 6

23. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Are Titans still on auto? If so...I'll go ahead and get this game in.

24. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

yes

25. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 6 Game of the Week
    Detroit ( HarkTheSound )
    at
    Philadelphia ( Ghost )
    This week's game of the week features a battle of division leaders as the 3-1 Detroit Lions travel to Philadelphia to take on the 3-2 Eagles. Both teams feature explosive offenses, and can put points on the board in a hurry. The key will be which defense is able to make a play when needed. The Lions will be without CB Chris Houston for this game. This could be a big loss as the Lions attempt to slow the dangerous Eagles' receivers. The Eagles will be without DE Darryl Tapp and C Steve Vallos for this game. Vallos is out for the year, so the Eagles have learned to adapt without him. However, the loss of Tapp could hurt the pass rush which is never good when facing the Lions.
    The Lions feature one of the most dangerous passing attacks in the league. QB Matthew Stafford has thrown for over 1,200 yards and 9 TD's on the season. He has also been careful not to turn the ball over with only 3 interceptions. Of course, his favorite target is WR Calvin Johnson. Megatron leads the team in all receiving categories, and is averaging over 20 yards a reception. Stafford also likes to find his big TE Brandon Pettigrew. The key for the Lions so far this season has been HB Jahvid Best. Best is averaging nearly 9 yards a carry. HB Kevin Smith leads the team in rushing TD's, and is the Lions between the tackles back.
    On defense, the Lions are led by DT Ndamukong Suh. Suh has four sacks on the season. CB Alphonso Smith leads the team in interceptions and will look to add to that total if Vick makes a poor decision. LB DeAndre Levy leads the team in tackles. It will be up to Levy to make sure HB LeSean McCoy does not get around the edge for any big gains.

The Eagles come into this game looking to cut down on their turnovers. QB Michael Vick has thrown 11 on the season. Part of the problem has been the poor play by his offensive line. Vick has already been sacked 14 times on the season. When Vick does throw, he does a good job of spreading the ball around. The Eagles will need to get WR DeSean Jackson the ball more as he is one of the most explosive players in the league. While he has been unable to make it to the end zone on the offensive end, Jackson does have 3 kick and 1 punt return TD on the season. The Eagles have done a good job of spreading carries around in the running game. McCoy leads the team in all rushing stats, but has received help from HB's Bryce Brown and Dion Lewis.
    Defensively, the Eagles will look to DE Trent Cole to pressure Stafford and not allow them to get into a rhythm passing the ball. While Calvin Johnson is the ultimate weapon at WR, the Eagles do have a fighting chance with CB Nnamdi Asomugha. It will be the job of MLB DeMeco Ryans to contain HB Jahvid Best. Ryans needs to punish best anytime he touches the ball.
    The Eagles are another team winning in spite of themselves. The Ealges have way too may turnovers, and giving an offense like the Lions extra possessions could be deadly. Detroit's offense has been taken to another level with the emergence of Best and the running game. Look for the Lions to use all of their weapons to defeat the Ealges.
    Prediction
    Detroit-38 Philadelphia- 28

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2