Season 1 Game Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Wyrmreaver, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

post em up here guys

2. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

(Naturally, the video highlight uploads failed, so I have nothing to show you =\ )

In what started out as a defensive struggle, Ole Miss and Cal felt each other out. Ole Miss came with a highly efficient short passing attack, balanced with decent running, where Cal came with a high-risk, high-reward (...and high luck o_O) shoot-em-up mentality in the passing game, while truly carried by the running game. The first two quarters would see 3 touchdown passes after long drives, one from Cal and two from Ole Miss. The very last play of the half was a completed hail mary for the Golden Bears, which set the tone for the wild finish.

After a scoreless third, which would give the appearance of shored up defenses, the offenses let loose. Skip to 1:31 left in the game, after two long drives ending in touchdowns and a quick run from Cal to gain the 7 point lead. Ole Miss, in what seemed to be typical fashion, rocketed down the field with 4 straight completions to tie the ball game with 1 minute remaining. After the subsequent kickoff, Cal had three timeouts and 1 minute to drive down the field. It took two plays, as Keenan Allen (who had been contained for the entire game) beat his press and flew in front of a Rebel safety, catching the ball for a 75-yard touchdown, leaving Ole Miss less than a minute to respond. And respond they did, driving down the field to the Cal 30, only to find Donte Moncrief (who was having a big day) single-covered in the back left corner of the endzone for a jumpball touchdown with only 3 seconds to go. Cal would let the game go to overtime from there, both teams in disbelief.

The Bears lost the coin flip, so they brought their offense out. A balanced attack from a now-rejuvenated quarterback (who had a stat line of 5-16 in the first half) led Cal down the field efficiently, connecting with a tight end from 6 yards out. Ole Miss then took the field, but the Cal defense stood strong for 3 plays, which saw the Rebels in 4th and 10 from the 25. QB Bo Wallace would once again come through in the clutch, connecting to the slot receiver right at the sticks. Ole Miss used the momentum to score quickly after, sending the game to 2OT. Ole Miss' offense came out throwing again, but a key miscue would seal their fate. On what seemed to be a routine curl route against man, the wide receiver didn't make an attempt on the ball, as the crashing Cal DB came up with the interception. Needing only a field goal, the Bears offense ran a HB dive right into the teeth of a blitzing Rebel defense to start their possession. HB Isi "Iso" Sofele would slip into the vacated second level untouched, scampering into the endzone for a game-sealing TD. 48-42 2OT, Cal.

GG papaloke, it seems that all my games against Ole Miss as Cal come down to the last seconds o_O. P.S., there is a glitch with the shotgun counter plays - papaloke ran a couple of them and the plays were called dead as soon as the handoffs started, ending up in lost yards/downs. EA FTW.

• Like Like x 1
  3. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

yeah, great game bro...shit got pretty exciting at the end...the last 1:30 was ridiculous.:eek:

4. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Gophers Lose Heartbreaker 28-18

It was a game in which the home team Baylor Bears failed to score a point until the 4th quarter, but in the end it was Minnesota miscues that led to a heartbreaking defeat in the Lone Star State. The Gophers were able to open up a 10-0 first half lead following a 39 yard TD pass from MarQuis Gray to senior WR Brandon Green. The defense was doing its job and UM was on its way to the upset. But it was not to be, as all of a sudden tackles that were made in the first 3 quarters were being slipped. Throws that Gopher's QB Gray were making in the first 3 quarters were being intercepted. In the end, it was 2 consecutive Baylor TDs followed by a pick 6 that sealed the game. Minnesota was able to make things interesting with a late score of their own plus a 2 pt conversion to bring it to 21-18 with 40 seconds left. Things got more exciting after the Gophers recovered the onside kick. But the following play, Gray threw his 3rd INT of the game, ending the hopes and dreams of the Gophers.

Words were exchanged between coaches following the final whistle, as coach Selvig was none to pleased with Baylor continuing to run plays despite having the game in hand following a 4th interception in the final minute, and with Baylor leading 21-18, the Bears went ahead and scored an unnecessary TD with 19 seconds left in the game. "Some people know how to win with class. Other people play for Baylor," the Gopher coach said in the post game presser. "I'm real proud of the way our guys fought through some tough calls. I can't say the same for the other guys." 3 Baylor fumbles were overturned on video reviews during the game, although none appeared to have conclusive video evidence.

Minnesota will have little time to heal their wounds, as they travel to SEC country next week to face the Kentucky Wildcats.

5. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Screwed again.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. asurob

asurob Walk On

Wow I really suck at this game. Great game Five_Fifs Im glad we waited till your net got sorted out...I much prefer playing you and losing then playing the CPU and not realizing how bad Im at this game.

7. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

You going to get us a summary Five_Fifs ?

8. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Booyah

Announcement: We Are UMass

The Minutemen of UMass overcame three turnovers, including two redzone interceptions, and injuries to their top two running backs and top wide receiver in a season opening stunner of the Kentucky Wildcats at Gillette Stadium.

Sophomore Jordan Broadnax totalled 170 all purpose yards after Seniors Mike **** and Alan Williams went down with injuries in the first half. Broadnax carried the ball 16 times for 68 yards and also had 3 recep catches for 103 yards, including touchdown receptions of 37 and 57 yards, the former of which proved to be the proverbial nail in the coffin.

Not to be outshined, Junior quarterback Kellen Pagel went completed 24 passes to 8 different receivers for 364 yards and 3 touchdowns, overcoming three interceptions. Junior wide receiver Terry Danska led all receivers with 7 catches.

"We played the game like men, and fortunately we came out on top. I couldn't be prouder of my guys," Coach W.D. Franklin said after the game. "No one gave us a shot but us, and at the end of the day, that's all that mattered".

The Minutemen 4-2-5 defense, held the Wildcats to 3 points and less than 150 total yards. They also produced 3 sacks and 3 interceptions and had the offense playing defense for the better portion of the contest, never allowing Kentucky to establish a true rhythm. Kentucky's only touchdown came on a backbreaking 93 yard interception return by Martavius Neloms, which tied the contest at 7-7.

Despite their offense's struggles, Kentucky's defense kept the game close, stepping up with key turnovers whenever it appeared that UMass' was on the verge of blowing the game wide open.

9. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Hey...and a big shout out to you for being patient enough to wait out my connection, lol. I really do appreciate it, you are truly a class act.

And don't beat yourself up too bad. The timing of your turnovers probably hurt you more than anything. I'm grateful you didn't stick with the run game a little longer, lol. And save for the two big screen passes, you really had a good "bend, but don't break" defense going on. I really only had two good drives. The first and the last one.

10. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Reading the summary for the Cal-Ole Miss game makes me finally get on board with all the guys begging for a "spectator" mode, lol. Sounds great, fellas

11. asurob

asurob Walk On

I thought I could pound it out against your small defensive line, but I was hoping to open holes with short passes. Little did I know I can't pass for shit :p

12. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

Yeh. My D-Line definitely needs some improvement. The future looks pretty dismal for the foreseeable future, lol

13. asurob

asurob Walk On

yeah, I probably should of stuck to the grinding out. But I haven't toyed with the new passing routine much so I was attempt to work that up. Your out routes were pretty devastating to me. It was the one thing I couldnt stop. The two long screens for TDs hurt, but only because you caught me in a full blitz both times. Great timing for you...not so much for me.

14. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Says the guy who hasn't posted anything about our dynasty "unranked" game. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Cajuns open the year with an impressive 42-10 over Sun Belt rivals Troy.

"The best offense is a good defense." For most of the 1st half the defense was the only offense as they scored the 1st two TDs of the game. With under 5 min to go in the half Blaine Gauthier hit RB Alonzo Harris on a 45 yard TD, from there on the rout was on. 3rd down conversions was the storie in this game as the Cajuns converted on 8-11(72%) and Troy only converted on 2-12(16%)
    Everytime we thought we finally had them stopped on 3rd down, Gauthier would pick the 1st either with his feet or arm. It was beyond frustrating." Senior Brynden Trawick

Player of the game: ULL SS J. Moten with 7 TCK(4 for loss)/2 SCKs/1 INT(TD)/2 FF

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  16. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Minnesota Escapes Kentucky With 21-13 Win

It won't be shown on ESPN Classic anytime soon, but the Gophers won't complain about the season's first win. Two early turnovers gave Minnesota two short fields, and two early scores, and it proved to be enough in the end. Despite being outgained 280-194, the visitors from Minneapolis used a grinding, clock eating ground game to limit any chances the Wildcats had to comeback. In the end, it was the 17:15-10:10 clock advantage that was the biggest difference. A quarterback change seemed to spark Kentucky in the 2nd half, and a late 97 yard touchdown drive brought Kentucky to within a score. But the onside kick went straight into a waiting Gopher's arms, sealing the win. GG asurob

MIN:
    MarQuis Gray; 10 of 17, 65 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. 4 carries, 30 yards
    James Gillum; 18 carries, 79 yards
    David Cobbs; 7 carries, 18 yards, 1 TD

KY:
    Morgan Newton; 7 of 11, 154 yards, 1 TD
    Maxwell Smith; 7 of 17, 1 TD, 4 INTs
    Coshik Williams; 13 carries, 33 yards, 1 fumble
    La'Rod King; 6 catches, 116 yards, 1 TD
    EJ Fields; 4 catches, 118 yards, 1 TD

17. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Memphis: 7
    Arky State: 48

Total domination by the Red Wolves in this one as they controlled the game from the opening drive. The Memphis Tigers stood no chance, mustering up a meager seven points and letting Red Wolves quarterback Ryan Aplin pick them apart with ease. Wish I could write up more but the game was pretty darn boring and one-sided lol.

POG: Ryan Aplin - 17/18, 236 yards, 4 TD/0 INT. 11 carries, 153 yards, 2 TD

18. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Memphis might be the worst team in video game history, lol. Running my personal dynasty against the CPU, I've couldn't help notice on the scrolling scoreboard "bottom line" that Memphis got beat by an FCS team and lost to Duke by 40, haha.

19. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

lol they are bad

20. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

COACH GMONEY 15 wins his NCAA 13 debut after having the game for 36 hours. :D:);):oops:(y)

Virginia 40
    Penn State 0

Penn State came into Virginia and got spanked 40-0. The Cavs played a good game as Perry Jones ran for 147 yards and a TD on only 12 carries. Coach GMONEY removed his star RB half way through the 3rd QTR as there was no need for his services as his teammates were playing extremely well. Michael Rocco made his 2012 debut and he was pretty sharp. The JR QB was 10/21/248/4 td's and 1 pick. However the star of the game was ALL ACC TE Colton Phillips. he had 5 catches for 167 yards and 4td's as he had a monstor game and may have put him into a potential ALL American candidate.

The Defense played well enough to get the shutout as they registered 4 sacks and 2 picks.

The sour note of this game was the FG kicker Ian Fry missed 4 dam extra points and a 25 yard FG. The snaps were good and the kicks were well above the halfway power meter but it just didn't go anywhere. VERY FRUSTRATING

Oh well..we'll move on to week #3 and prepare our squad for our next encounter.

21. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Is it me or does your QB switch to hover shoes from 7-9 secs? BTW pretty sweet juke move.

22. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

yeah, the replays are effed up so players slide around a ton. It didn't look like that in-game

23. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Cajuns 48 Minutemen 17

Turnovers were the story in this one. Whenever the Minutemen were making a comeback, QB Pagel would throw one of his 4 INTs on the day. On Offense the Cajuns were very efficient racking up 9 yards per play.
    "I have a great amount of respect for coach W.D Franklin and his players for fighting till the very end in this one, a couple of times after a heartbreaking INT he and his players could have thrown in the towel but didn't and I admire that." Coach Heisenberg said at his press conference

Player of the game: ULL Gautier 11-16 223 3TD 1INT, 63 yards on the ground with 1 TD

I really can't wait to see what you do when you get more talent on that roster Five_Fifs, and who knows maybe we'll meet in a bowl game or 2.

24. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

BTW you guys should check out Five_Fifs recap of the game, much better than mine lol.

After last week's stunning upset of the SEC's Kentucky Wildcats in their FBS debut, the Minutemen from down Amherst were unable to muster in consistency on either side of the ball in a 48-17 ******** by a team that, talent wise, is far from superior. Had this result come against Kentucky, it easily could have been overlooked as a hazing of sorts; a welcome to big boy football. After raising the bar, however, this ********** in all facets of the game by UL-Lafayette? Disappointing is only the beginning.

Junior Quarterback Kellen Pagel elicited boos from the Gillete Stadium crowd after throwing his fourth interception of the game. With three interceptions last week, Pagel now has seven interceptions two games into the season. His errant throws against Kentucky were largely ignored, as they were balanced out by three touchdown passes and several crucial thrid-down conversions; and of course a victory. However, Pagel's two 70 plus yard touchdown passes in this game did little to ease the pain of this loss.

Defensively, the 'Forty Spoke' defense, was outmatched. Unable to establish any pressure, the secondary gave up completion after completion after heart-breaking completion. Blaine Gautier was efficient for the Ragin' Cajuns, completing 11 of 13 passes for 223 yards and three touchdowns. He added another 63 on the ground to complement 82 yards on 12 carries by halfback Alonzo Harris.

Asked to respond to the effort he witnessed on the field today, Coach W.D. Franklin was brief. "We can't afford to roll over like that. Especially when we know what we are capable of. I promise, this. You will never see a performance like this again. And that starts from the top down. It starts with me."

25. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Hey Wyrmreaver you gonna give a summary of the ass whooping you gave me? :(