Season 1 Game Scores and Reports

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Max had an idea based on what other dynasties are already doing and I kind of liked it.. It won't preclude you guys from posting your game updates other places (I will be keeping my own thread) but if we all post them here it's really easy to just read through and see what everybody else is up to.

So let's do it. Let me know if anybody has a problem with the idea.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Richmond gives Cavaliers a first-half scare
    Cavaliers pull away for 59-14 win after Spiders close to within 3 points.

UVA won 59-14 against the Richmond Spiders in their home opener. No problem, right? Well, for awhile there it wasn't looking too good as the Spiders gashed the UVA secondary for 260 yards, the vast majority of those yards coming in the first half.

Perry Jones (18 car, 212 yds, 3 TD) kicked off the scoring with touchdown runs of 55 yards and 37 yards against a physically overmatched defense and looked like a man amongst boys in doing so.

Then Richmond came back with a long drive down the field resulting in a 15-yard touchdown pass. After UVA was forced to kick a field goal, they did it again, once again making the Cavalier defense look horrible and throwing another touchdown pass that made it 17-14, Virginia, with 3:18 to go in the first half.

From there the Hoos were able to kick it into overdrive as Perry Jones ripped off his third TD of the game, a 39-yarder, and the Cavaliers got the ball back again with a Michael Rocco to Dominique Terrell touchdwon pass of 30 yards ending the first half with a 31-14 lead.

Our defense was so bad we put in FS Pablo Alvarez (68 OVR) for the strong safety and he didn't disappoint. Alvarez picked off a pass and returned it 83 yards with an impressive runback to start the second half. The defense played much better and we were able to really run the clock out on the Spiders for a successful opening week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Mississippi State 66
    FCS East 3

Mississippi State struggled a bit offensively in the first quarter but got things going just before that quarter ended. WR #3 Arceto Clark scored the first TD of the game on an option run. Clark added a another rushing TD and a punt return TD in the second quarter. The big play of the first quarter was a pick six by free safety Jay Hughes. He snared the interception and made some nice moves to get in the end zone. The second quarter is where Mississippi State pulled away in the game. QB Tyler Russell threw for 3 touchdowns in this quarter, bouncing back from a shaky first quarter. WR #1 Chris Smith caught 2 of the 3 touchdown passes. In the second half Mississippi State pulled the starters and focused on rushing the ball. The backups played well and added a couple more scores. Backup FB William Shumpert even managed to find the end zone in this game.

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG][​IMG]
    52-26
    Ruston, LA (AP) -- They may be opening their season on their road against a WAC team on a Friday, but the Texas A&M Aggies looked like a top-flight team at times in a their Week 1 victory. Things looked sketchy for the entirety of the 1st half though, and A&M's passing game was horrible all day. A stingy defense and potent running game were obviously their strengths. LATech took advantage of numerous mistakes by QB Jameill Showers and were able to stay in the game for a long time. Every time things started to look bleak though, RB Michael was there with a big play. The 5'11 220lb Senior back busted a 32-yd TD run to take the lead, and a 83-yd TD to break a tie. That 83-yarder really got the offense clicking, especially the run game.
    Coaches are happy with the win and happy to stay healthy, but they know there is work to do. They must turn around on a short week and host a ranked Florida Gators team that is littered with athletes.
    Christine Michael
    16ATT 167yd 3TD

5. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    We should sticky this thread as well as the recruiting, archive, and team pages that I am about to post.

Each season you can sticky this thread and remove the old one.

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Typically management (mostly Drifter) advise against creating a lot of sticky threads in the main forum. Typically threads like recruiting and weekly recaps will have enough activity to stay at the top or near the top of the page. This is something I remember from my days as a commissioner.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I will keep the ones I've already stickied ones there, and this one will be continually bumped. Then each successive year, I will create a link to the various seasons scores threads from seasons past for easy tracking.

8. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

Gamecocks avoid disaster as Connor Shaw struggled at times vs Vanderbilt. South Carolina's defense was porous as they struggled to stop the run for most of the game and gave up big plays often. It took a key stop inside the redzone and missed field goal to give the 'Cocks one last drive. Poor clock management caused for a frantic last play and a gutsy run call which HB Brandon Wilds took in from 4 yds out to give Carolina the GW touchdown with 4 seconds left.

Marcus Lattimore: 24 car, 148 yds, 2 TD; 4 rec, 62 yards.
    Connor Shaw: 20-32, 357 yds, 3 TD 4 INT.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Damn, I bet you were sweating that one out. A lesser man would have choked! lawl

10. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Dude, I thought I had lost because I had thrown a horrible pick at the beginning of my 2nd to last drive with 1:40 left inside my own territory. Finally the D stepped up and stopped Vanderbilt but they were in FG range. Kicker missed it badly to give me one last shot. I got down the field fairly easily but they were stingy in the redzone on that last drive. Called a run on the 2nd to last play and got stuffed and the clock was just running and i was in panic mode and called a run then audibled and noticed the clock was running out on me. Fortunately my line blocked everyone so I could run it in or that would have been quite the disappointing start to the season.

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Yikes! LATech gave me all I could handle for 3 quarters (B- team)

It will be interesting to see what kind of impact (if any) CPU losses could have on league. I am not looking forward to Bama/LSU...

12. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I'm glad I at least avoid Bama. Next season will be tough because I'll have no defensive standouts beside Clowney.

13. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Mizzu destroyed FCS something.....it was ugly. I got no sense for my offense....1 play TDs. 69-16. Next week is a real test vs #6 UGA.

14. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

UNC also spanked an FCS team. Put up 70 points in 3 quarters.

15. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Well GT starts the season with a big win against Virginia Tech. Too bad it will be there last. Star QB Washington went down for 7 weeks. The blow came after a fb dive was called. He handed the ball off then gets hurt...wtf.

Final GT 38 - 10

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Mississippi State 38
    #22 Auburn 35

This was a heavyweight boxing match with both offensives landing several punches. The teams traded touchdowns to start the game. Auburn added a field goal and lead 10-7 at the end of the first quarter. Mississippi State and Auburn went back and forth in the second quarter. Each team scored two touchdowns. Mississippi State's QB Russell threw a bad pick before halftime but the defense was able to prevent Auburn from adding to its lead. The score going into the half was 24-21 in favor of the Tigers.

The defenses finally showed up in the second half. Auburn was able to add a field goal towards the end of the quarter, giving the Tigers a 6-point lead. Mississippi State answered back with a short TD run by backup QB Prescott. This gave the Bulldogs their first lead since the opening drives. The MSU defense continued to make stops on Auburn and the offense added to it lead with a TD. This gave Mississippi State an 8-point edge, and that lead eventually went to 11. With under two minutes left in the game, this one appeared to be over. Unfortunately Auburn did not get the memo. The Tigers flew down the field in less than a minute and scored a TD. With the two-point conversion Auburn reduced the lead to 3. A penalty on the onside kick gave MSU the ball. Backup HB Griffin was able to get a first down and MSU was able to run out the clock.

Offensive Player of the Game - QB Tyler Russell: 16-22 266 passing yards 3 TD/ 3 INT; 7 carries 71 rushing yards

Defensive Player of the Game - DT Josh Boyd 4 tackles (2 solo, 2 assisted) 3 tackles for loss 2.5 sacks

17. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

NC State 21
    UConn 45

NC State was able to keep this game close in the first half going into halftime down 27-21. We did nothing in the second half. UConn's starting QB was injured and started 70 overall SR Johnny McEntee. His name may as well have been Andrew Luck. He shredded our defense. His stats on the day were 22/32 382 yards 3TD 0INT. NC State had nothing. The schedule eases up over the next couple of games with back to backs against FCS teams.

18. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    45-35

College Station, TX (AP) -- You can take the Aggies out of the Big12, but you cant take the Big12 out of the Aggies. Coach Max & co. lit up the scoreboard, and Florida's "SEC Defense," to the tune of 45 points and 559yd of total offense. The first drive ended pretty quickly with an interception by Jameill Showers. Showers was a little too pumped to start the game and got caught being greedy trying to go over the top. Coach Max was very animated with J.S. on the sidelines after the pick, and the (RS)Sophomore responded with a career day.

Christine Michael and Showers were deadly in the option game with both of them racking up over 130yd rushing. Michael didnt find the endzone, but you wont hear him complain. The Senior just wants to get his touches and win. A&M was able to run the ball down the field into scoring position and use play action/trickery to get it into the endzone.

The game was pretty tight throughout, and UF was up 27-24 heading into the 4th quarter. Enter Ryan Swope. Swope went deep and showed great body control hauling in a pass and housing it from 55yd out. After that and another TD toss for good measure, it was time to kill the clock and clear the benches.

Offensively, the Ags looked great. Defensively though, TAMU needs work. Florida piled up 498yd of offense, 385 of that coming through the air. Luckily the schedule softens up for the next two weeks. Coach Max hopes to fine tune his defense against SMU and South Carolina State before the big showdown against Arkansas.

Jameill Showers
    15/22 248yd 4TD 1INT
    10ATT 136yd 1TD

Christine Michael
    23ATT 132yd

Ryan Swope
    3REC 83yd 1TD

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Virginia wins opener with ease

[​IMG]
    Perry Jones with one of his breakaway runs

Perry Jones set a team record with 260 rushing yards on just 11 carries, and in only one half of football as Virginia snuffed out the Richmond Spiders, 54-10. Jones was simply unstoppable. When he wasn't running through truck-sized holes created by his line, he was pummeling defenders.

"It's a nice way to get the season started," said Coach London. "We just can't put too much stock into it because we know the tests are only going to get tougher."

That starts next week when the Penn State Nittany Lions come to town.

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

MaxATX34 hey at least you get to dominate "SEC defenses" in an imaginary world :D

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Virginia stuns Penn State with pass in closing minutes, 41-38

[​IMG]

In a game that probably shouldn't have been all that close, UVA didn't deserve to win at the end, but did just that on an exceedingly lucky pass play.

The team took the field with a lot of confidence following their shellacking of the Richmond Spiders in Week 1.

The Cavaliers took the opening drive and went right down the field with a mix of run and pass and Phillip Sims completed a 34-yard touchdown strike to WR Darius Jennings to take a 7-0 lead.

On the subsequent drive, FS Rijo Walker forced a fumble and backup FS Pablo Alvarez picked it up and rumbled all the way down the field for a 14-0 lead.

Penn State had two nice drives in a row sandwiched around a three and out by the Virginia offense, but on each of their forays into Wahoo red zone territory they were forced to kick field goals after key third down stops.

The offense of the hosting Cavaliers was able to put another drive together that included a long pass down to the one yard line, where Perry Jones plunged in to give the Hoos a 21-6 lead.

With just over two minutes remaining in the half, Penn State got untracked again with a big pass down the right side. We were clearly in position to break it up but I flubbed the user pick and it led to an easy score. The score was 21-13 heading into halftime.

The opening of the third quarter was key as we did more of our bend but don't break routine and this time picked off a pass in the end zone to thwart the drive, then responded quickly as Sims hit Tim Smith for two huge gains including 43-yard gainer that set up a nifty, one-handed 37-yard TD catch.

Penn State added a field goal at the end of the third quarter to make it 28-16.

Here is where it went wrong for the Cavs, and really never should have. Due to EA's creative button changes we threw a pick on a wide open play where unfortunately the wrong button was pushed. Tell that to the offensive coordinator! That pick was returned for a touchdown. Flustered, we then threw a correct button pick as Sims was on his heels the moment the ball was snapped and just underthrew the pass by about 10 yards off his back foot. Also returned for a touchdown. Penn State takes the lead, 29-28 after the two point conversion attempt failed.

Sims managed to gain control of his faculties and found a wide open Colton Phillips for a 44-yard touchdown strike on the next drive. we tried to make it a 7-point lead with a two-point conversion and failed. In fact, they picked it off and returned it to make the lead just three points, 34-31.

Penn State began moving inexorably toward the goal line one more time on a two-minute drill in which our defense just fell apart. We decided once again to make our stand near the goal line, biding our time with safe play calls. It looked like it was going to work when McGloin threw a pass into double, bracketed coverage with the corner trailing and the safety coming in, only our guys just couldn't get the ball and 6'3" Allen Robinson skied above the putrid defenders for a beautiful catch that gave the embattled Nittany Lions the lead, 38-34.

Obviously a field goal wasn't going to help us. We completed some passes and were on a bit of a roll. On a 3rd and 1 play, we decided to go to a middle screen. I could tell before the play ever started that it was going to be close. It was either going to be batted down or go for a big gainer because they were all over it. Well, the latter happened as Sims threw a nice floater to the perfect spot and our fastest player Darius Jennings took it to the house for his second TD of the game, 53 yards for the eventual win.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  22. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Sick catch...

Edit: and LOL at the recommended vid (top left) that pops up after the highlight.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

UNC 30
    Wake 27 OT
    Not much to say about this game other than the fact it nearly gave me a heart attack. Was about to score the go ahead TD when it was 24-21 and Bernard fumbles on the 5 yard line with 1:30 to go. Ended up getting a stop on D and kicked a game tying FG as time expired. Held them to a FG in OT and scored on the first play with Bernard to win it.

24. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

FCS SE 20
    NC State 70

NC State follows up a disappointing loss with a win over a lesser opponent. This should help with get the teams confidence back. The defense forced 7 turnovers and tallied 9 sacks. On offense, HB's Joe Washington and Tony Creecy both had over 100 yards and a pair of TD's. Special teams even got some action when KR/WR Tobias Palmer returned a punt 61 yards for a TD. Next week is another tuneup game against another FCS school. After that things will get tough as we enter ACC conference play.

25. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Helli's QB throws like Byron Leftwich..

• Like Like x 1