Season 1: Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Jman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

2. Coacher

Coacher Walk On

Week 1: Michigan @ Western Michigan.

So the powerhouse Wolverines came into this game with the Broncos with a little too much confidence and my have overlooked the home team. Michigan started strong with two TD's in the first half and the score was 14 - 3 at halftime. The Broncos came alive in the 2nd half and scored a quick touchdown in the 3rd cutting the score to 14-10. The Wolverines started the 4th with a quick touchdown and it looked as if the game was out of reach. The broncos QB Carder started to get hot late in the 4th and Scored a late TD with :37 seconds left in the game, after not converting the two point conversation the score was 21-16 Michigan with less then 30 seconds left in the game. The only hope for the Broncos was the chance of an onside kick. Potter kicked off and blasted the onside kick straight into the front line of the Michigan hands team and the ball bounced around and was finally recovered amazingly by the Broncos. Carder took his hot hand and went back to work Finally completing the go ahead TD pass to Shaffer with :04 Seconds to play...What a game. It just goes to show that on any given Saturday you have to bring your A game.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Week 1: North Texas @ FIU

North Texas ran into a buzzsaw that was FIU, losing 35-0. The Golden Panthers worked the connection between QB Wesley Carroll and T Y Hilton all day, for 3 scores and 95 yards on 6 catches. Running back Darriet Perry got into the act late in the game, helping FIU seal the deal with 2 scores in the second half, to go along with his 98 yards rushing.

The Mean Green offense couldn't get anything going against the Golden Panther D, being held to just 166 yards total offense, with two interceptions. Pressure on the quarterback was not as good as Head Coach Frank Baron would have liked, "Only 1 sack isn't very good. But to be honest, with the number of three and outs, and turnovers we had, there's not that much opportunity for sacks, so I'm not complaining."

The Golden Panthers competition ramps up significantly as they face Louisville next week.

4. Baron

Week 2: FIU @ Louisville

FIU barely lost, 20-17, to Louisville in week 2. "We had a lot of opportunities on offense, but we just kept turning the ball over on their side of the field, and you can't do that and expect to win." The game started off as well as anyone could hope, with T Y Hilton returning the opening kickoff 92 yards for the score.

After a responding touchdown from Louisville, the Golden Panthers drove the ball down the field where fullback Dudley Laporte pounded the ball in from the 3 yard line.

From there, the Golden Panthers could not return to the endzone. "We moved the ball pretty well, but turnovers and just stalling at the wrong times and you lose."

But the Golden Panther D performed well all game, forcing 3 interceptions and 2 sacks. But the golden panther D allowed too many big plays down the stretch, ultimately allowing a UL field goal with 27 seconds left. With no timeouts the Golden Panthers managed to move the ball on the ensuing drive, but a 48 yard long pass resulted in a jump ball at the 3 yard line, though caught, WR Junior Mertile was immediately tackled with no time left.

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

UL-Monroe- 35
    Oregon- 17

The Warhawks pull off the unthinkable with a huge upset victory on the road over Oregon. UL-Monroe was able to establish an effective running game, but the biggest suprise was backup RB true FR Devontae McNeal who rushed for 113yds 3 TD on 15 carries. Jyruss Edwards set the pace early on the ground 95 yds on 20 carries, but fighting injuries he sat most of the second half. Kolton Browning made enough plays in the air to keep the Ducks honest, but most importantly they took care of the ball. Game ball goes to McNeal only rated 67ovr sliced through the Ducks defense.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Week 2: Temple at Akron
    Akron 17, Temple 14

After falling behind 14-0 on a Pick 6, Akron rallied in the second half despite having to kickoff to start the half. After several successful running plays got 2 first downs, the D commiitted on a play fake and got burned on a 50 yd pass to cut the deficit in half. After another good drive stalled and resulted in a field goal, Akron made a final drive to take the lead and broke off a 30 yd TD run to put Akron ahead and get them their first win of the season.

7. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

Week 1: WKU @ Kentucky
    WKU opened the season strong with a 31-24 win over in-state rival Kentucky. While the first quarter went scoreless, WKU lit up the second quarter, scoring 17 points, a FG and 2 TDs, a pass and a run from Jakes. With solid ball control offense the rest of the way, WKU ran the wildcats into the ground with 272 yards rushing total and 3 TDs. Even though Kentucky made it interesting by being able to strike for several passing scores in the second half, they were never within a possession of winning and WKU coasted home to a 31-24 win.

Week 2: Navy @ WKU

Ran all over them, from start to finish. Excellent run blocking opened up huge holes for Rainey as he reached 100 yards rushing before the first quarter was through. From there it was smooth sailing, using a 4-4 to stop the option well, WKU cruised to a 35-7 lead at the half, behind 8-9 passing from jakes for 128 and a couple scores, set up by almost 200 yards rushing in the first half by both Rainey and Hibbitt. It also helps when you force an option team to 60 yards rushing and get two INTs.

Second half is more of the same, opens up with a 3 and out by navy and a touchdown drive consisting of long runs by both Rainey and Hibbitt, making it 42-7. Pretty much went that way the whole rest of the way, Rainey getting 200 yards and 2TDs on the day, as well as the passing being suprisingly efficient at 11-12 completions to attempts. Navy scored a little in garbage time, Final score: Navy- 23 WKU- 59

8. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

First Win is a Wild one for Coach Walker and the Green Wave!

Tulsa @ Tulane (Conference USA)
    Week 2

Fans didn't really know what to expect as coach Walker and the Green Wave took the field for their season debut. Tulane would host the potent air attack of Tulsa in their conference opener. "We really need to start the season off with a win. Not only would it get us a good start in the conference race but beating a team like Tulsa early could set the tone for the rest of the season." - Coach Walker's words during the pre-game warmups.

Tulane entered the game as a slight underdog due to the fact that analyst didn't they would be able to contain Tulsa quarterback G.Kinne and the no huddle offense that the Golden Hurricanes like to sport.

The game started off pretty slow as Tulsa was able to put the first points on the board with an early 34 yard field goal from kicker K.Fitzpatrick. Tulane was able to respond late in the first to even the score at three with a 30 yard field goal from C.Santos. Going into the second quarter, Tulane really had the fans screaming and the Green Wave defense was looking pretty stout. The stadium erupted as Tulane was able to go up 10-3 when backup runningback P.Jason was able to pound it in for a 2 yard touchdown.

It wasn't long after Jason's touchdown that Tulsa started to put together a touchdown of their own Kinne was able to break the pocket and scramble for a 31 yard touchdown to bring the teams back at 10-10. Tulsa really started to take control of the game as they were able to march down the field on their next drive and end it with a 30 yard pass from Kinne to Sears to put them up 17-10. Tulsa's defense was able to pick off Griffin late in the 2nd and put together a half ending 30 yard field goal to give them a 20-10 lead heading to the locker room.

Fans were awed as halftime approached and were already starting to wander if it was going to be one of those types of seasons. "We made a few mistakes, but we have showed that we can compete with them. We still have another half to play and were not going to give in." - Walker stated as he headed into the tunnel.

Tulsa was able to put up the first points in the third quarter with another field goal from Fitzpatrick to give them a 23-10 lead in which the stadium had become completely silent. Griffin and the Green Wave quickly stepped up the pace on their next drive and drove down the field and led to Griffin hitting his favorite target D. Banks for a 43 yard touchdown pass to bring the Green Wave within 6. Tulsa was able to answer right back though as Kinne threw another TD pass to R.Johnson to give Tulsa a 30-17 lead.

Heading into the fourth quarter down by 13 and the defense not playing up to par, things were not looking good for the Green Wave. Things started to look even worse after Griffin threw another interception that led to another Fitzpatrick field goal and just like that Tulsa was up 33-17. On Tulane's next drive Orleans Darkwa was able to take the game into his own hands as his found a seam and was able to break away for a 71 yard touchdown run. The defense stepped it up and got the ball back to Tulane and Griffin was able to lead them down the field for his second touchdown pass of the day to bring them within 2 points as the score sat 33-31 with about 3 minutes left.

Tulsa was really starting to threaten after getting a couple first downs but a forced fumble on third down forced the Golden Hurricane to have to punt with about 2 minutes remaining. Tulane received the ball on their own 40 yard line and the hopes of a win were in sight. A few quick passes from Griffin put them within the Golden Hurrican 30 yard line and as the game clock started to roll down coach Walker called timeout with 3 seconds remaining. Santos took the field as the quiet crowd all stood to their feet to watch Santos 32 yard field goal sail through the uprights to give Tulane their first win of the season!

"We didn't give up. We had one goal in mind and we didn't forget it. I'm so proud of what these guys were able to overcome today!" - Coach Walker said with a smile on his face during a post game interview.

Final Score
    Tulsa 33 - Tulane 34
    Player of the Game: Orleans Darkwa - 126 yards, 15 carries, 1 touchdown

9. Jman

Very nice writeup IXI DECAY IXI !!!

I'll be getting the Kent State vs Idaho summary up this afternoon with a video that no-one will believe. Seriously a crazy/fun user game.

10. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Thanks! Looking forward to your summary.

11. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

UL-Monroe- 23
    TCU- 17

The Warhawks are for real!! keeping the momentum from their upset victory over Oregon, UL-MOnroe proved it was no fluke as they took care of TCU at home. The Warhawks built a 20-3 lead at half behind the solid play of Browning who finished 16/28 236yds 2 TD. Edwards ran for 109yds. The Horned Frogs were able to close the gap to 23-17 with a strong second half comeback, but ran out of time as they turned the ball over on downs with 20 seconds left at midfield. Hoping to crack the top 25 next week.

12. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

WKU @ Auburn
    38 - 13
    Again ran the ball right until the bitter end. When the starter gets 100+ yards and the backup gets 100 yards plus 2 TDs, its a good day. Also very solid defense led to a 38-13 win over the #17 ranked Auburn Tigers.

13. GatorJes

GatorJes Walk On

Week 3: New Mexico State @ Air Force

NMSU 7 0 0 0 - 7
    AFA 14 7 3 17 - 41

Asher Clark (Air Force) runs for 262 yards on 24 carries with 2 TDs.

NM State struck first blood on a Matt Christian to Taveon Rodgers TD Pass to cap a 13-play drive. But it was all Falcons after that, as Air Force outclassed the Aggies and won the turnover battle 5-0.

"We've got to tackle better. And we can't fumble the ball twice and throw three picks and expect to win the game. But we'll learn from this and move on," Coach Kriske said afetr the game.

New Mexico State is 0-2.

14. Jman

WEEK 2: KENT STATE VS IDAHO

[​IMG]
    CARDIAC ARREST!
    Idaho Falls to Kent State After WIDE OPEN Drop

In a game that truly was a "defensive" game with neither team amassing 200 yards of offense, it ended for Idaho in an absolutely unimaginable fashion. Late in the 4th quarter the Vandals were driving after forcing a Kent State turnover, the Kent defense managed to hold Idaho to a 4th and 14 form the Kent State 30 yard line with Idaho down 6, what happened from there was heart wrenching for both teams. Idaho set up for a last heave and witnessed Kent State's FS bite hard on a crossing route when he was supposed to remain in deep halves coverage, this left a Vandal WIDE OPEN at the goal line with no one for 15 yards around him. Following a beautiful pass, he caught and dropped the ball unmolested by any defenders. After the game Coach Jman himself called it "gut-wrenching" and admitted that no coach wants to see that at the end regardless of which team it happens to. He added thatwhen the ball was in the air he had actually accepted that it was soon to be over.

Up next the 1-0 Kent State team travels to Clemson to take on the Tigers!

Papa Perry Video!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baron

I'd have broken something and/or set something on fire if that had happened to me.

16. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Jman . . . great video. Just so you guys know, I won't be uploading any videos or pics from my games unfortunately. It seems to be some specific issue with my xbox. I do not get a "highlights" Option after my games, and in scoring summary when I click on view highlight it says it's unavailable. This was an issue for me with FIFA as well, whereas others got a multitude of highlights from everything that went on during the game (dozens sometimes), I never got more than four, which itself was a rarity. Three was the standard, and I talked to others about it and nobody else had that issue. Pretty much unexplainable really, but if anybody has nay advice on the matter then by all means . . .

17. Jman

No worries at all. Maybe the new/refurbed box will do it? You don't HAVE to do pics, I just enjoy it personally.

18. Jman

Um, I told him that. I was literally angry FOR him. Craziness.

19. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

I just lost 40-3 to CIncy because I and my team suck. The end.

20. Coacher

Coacher Walk On

Narrow Escape

Carder and the Broncos are relieved after a near mishap against Cincinnati.

The Western Michigan Broncos pulled out another close victory versus a higher ranked opponent for the second straight week with their 31 - 28 victory over the Cincinnati Bearcats. The day started slow for the Broncos, their offense could not get anything going and there defense seemed to be caught off guard by the spread em out passing attack of the Bearcats. Early in the 1st quarter Cincy QB Callaros hit a 73 yard bomb to Thompkins that put the Bearcats up 7-0. The Bearcats added its second touchdown when RB Isaiah Pead hit a hole hard and took the ball in for a touchdown of 14 yards. At the end of the 1st quarter there was a bit of life from the Bronco's offense when Kendrick Roberts WR #80 hauled in a 17 yard pass from Alex Carder QB #14 for a TD.

The second quarter was more of the same from the Cincinnati Offense with Callaros closing two separate drives by taking it in himself for TD's. The score at this point was 28-7 Cincy. Then all of a sudden the momentum shifted when Wiggins made a one handed interception. The whole stadium was rocking and it rubbed off on the offense because they never looked back. The Bronco's scored 24 unanswered points caped of by the game winning 37 yard field goal.

cincy.png

21. Baron

Turnovers Nearly Drown Golden Panthers,
    D Saves the Day with 4th Qtr Pick Six

It was tough sledding for FIU Quarterback Wesley Carroll against the UCF Knights, but Panthers won 34-24. "He had a rough day," said Coach Baron, "which will happen. Fortunately we were able to squeeze this one out." The Golden Panthers had a back and forth struggle with the Knights despite forcing a three and out from the Knights on the first drive and then needing only one play, a 64 yard run by Darriet Perry on a read option. "Wes did a good job on the read option all day which was good. He had some good rushes, he just made some poor decisions passing and one of those interceptions was just a great defensive play." Perry picked up the offensive slack, rushing for 174 yards and 2 scores on 25 attempts. Fullback Dudlay LaPorte also got into the act, scoring once on 5 carries for 27 yards. "Considering how great LaPorte was on 3rd and short for us, he might see more use. He's not a short, stocky fullback, but when he has the power to use his tall body to fall forward for extra yards."

But the true hero of the game has to be FS Jonathan Cyprien. Cyprien had two INTs. His most important one coming on a pick six with 2:20 left in the 4th quarter, with UCF only trailing by three points , putting FIU ahead 34-24. "They had some success moving the ball on us, and they had some momentum. And that bubble screen had been gouging us pretty good. But John read it well and made the play." Kenneth Dillard did his level best to usurp Cyprien's position of best defensive play, making a great interception 10 seconds later on the Knights next drive, sealing the game for the Golden Panthers.

"It's tough to win when you have four turnovers. But if you're going to do it, having 7 sacks recovering 3 fumbles and getting three interceptions is probably a good start."

The Golden Panthers improve to 2-1 and will face UL Lafayette next week.

22. Coacher

Coacher Walk On

Dominating D!

Broncos coast to a 31-8 win in Rivalry Game.

This game was all Western Michigan Broncos all the way. From start to finish the broncos dominated their rivals from Central Michigan. The Broncos Defense led the way with 7 total sacks and 1 interception, the special teams unit also contributed with a kickoff return for a TD. The Broncos Offense also had a good all around game. Aaron Winchester led the way on the ground after an injury to drake put him on the spot; he ended the game with 169 yards rushing and a TD. In the air Carder's favorite target was Kendrick Roberts who hauled in 6 catches for 146 yards and 2 TD's. The Broncos subbed in their 2nd team players about halfway through the 3rd quarter when the game was out of hand. Week 3 Central Michigan.png

23. GatorJes

GatorJes Walk On

New Mexico State Drops Another Game; Loses to Lowly San Jose St 24-10.

NMSU 7 3 0 0 - 10
    SJSU 17 0 0 7 - 24

"We're going to have lots of tackling drills this week," says NM State coach GatorJes.

Three early turnovers also cost the Aggies. The first play of the game was an interception to set up a 2-play, 43-yard TD drive for the Spartans. Next drive, fumble. Field Goal, SJSU. Then a long drive sustained by an Aggie running game which looked promising at times. 10-7 Spartans. Next drive, first play from scrimmage, a 71 yard TD made worse by poor tackling skills, and just like that the Spartan lead was 10. NMSU kept crawling back and it was 17-10 throughout most of the game. However, penalties, sacks and dropped passes prevented the Aggies offense from penetrating the goal line. San Jose State drove 98 yards down the field for a late score to seal the victory, when perhaps New Mexico State was caught trying to create a turnover rather than being sure to make sound tackles.
    One bright spot for NMSU was Kenny Turner's 124 yards rushing on 15 carries. However, he is lost for 3 weeks due to a back injury.
    It should be noted that San Jose State attemted a late field goal as time ran out when they could have easily taken a knee. Perhaps igniting a spark in this dreadful pillowfight of a series. "We'll remember that next year when they come to our place," coach GatorJes says. Tough talk for an 0-3 coach.

24. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Much needed win for the damn Blazers.

After starting the season 0-2, UAB was desperate for a win. Looking down the barrel of a decent ECU team and playing on the road the Blazer managed to do just enough to pull out the win. The blazers scored two touchdown in the second half but a missed extra point, that is correct, a missed extra point almost swung the momentum in ECU's favor. Coach papaloke (pronounced papa low key, but say it fast) was pissed to high hell at his kicker who has promised to make up for it at some point this season. The defense was somewhat shaky giving up a few big plays but in the end made a great int in the end zone to stop what looked like a inevitable ECU scoring drive. Player of the game honors goes to the workhorse RB, none other than Pat Shed. Shed set a school record with 239 yrds on the ground.

25. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Just saw this. Daaammn!!! I would have probably cursed so loud my wife would have kicked me out of the house! Wide ass open.