Season 1 In Review

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by I Peench, Jul 30, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] OVER [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] OVER [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] OVER [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] OVER [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] OVER [​IMG]

Please answer the following questions!
    What was your team and record?
    Was your first season a success?​
    Who was your offensive MVP?​
    Who was your defensive MVP?​
    Surprise offensive performance?​
    Surprise defensive perfomance?​
    What player was the biggest disappointment for you?​
    What was the most thrilling user game you had this year?​
    Most important recruit?​
    Best "gem" recruit?​

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

North Carolina Tar Heels 12-2 (9-0)

Was your first season a success?
    Absolutely. I came into this season expecting growing pains as we installed new systems on both sides of the ball. To gain a prestige star and win the ACC is a huge win in my book. This team will only get better as I recruit personnel to fit these schemes.

Who was your offensive MVP?
    QB Bryn Renner was tasked with running a brand new offense, and he did not disappoint. The Jr. signal caller completed 64% of his passes for 3572 yards, 31 TDs, and 17 interceptions. He also added 315 yards on the ground and 2 rushing TDs. Renner was named 1st Team All ACC.

Who was your defensive MVP?
    Senior MLB Kevin Reddick garnered all "User Team" honors in the preseason, and lived up to the hype. He was the rock of my defense, and accumulated 54 tackles, 16 TFL, 40 ATK, 5 sacks, 2 FF, and 1 interception en route to earning 1st Team All American status.

Surprise offensive performance?
    WR TJ Thorpe. Thorpe, a sophomore and 83 overall, came up huge in clutch moments against Miami and North Carolina State. Furthermore, as the season went on, we got him involved in the option game where he excelled. Thorpe ended the season with 47 receptions for 800 yards and 8 TDs. He also rushed for 84 yards on 6 carries and had 5 rushing scores.

Surprise defensive perfomance?
    SS DJ Dunn came out of nowhere to step up and play phenomenally well at the most critical position in the 4-2-5 scheme. Dunn stepped up in a big way, collecting 48 tackles, 34 assisted tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, 6 sacks, and 7 pass deflections. The Junior was named 2nd team All American and 1st Team All ACC.

What player was the biggest disappointment for you?
    HB Giovanni Bernard is my best overall player, but was sidelined 10 weeks with broken ribs. Hopefully he returns for his RS Junior season.

What was the most thrilling user game you had this year?
    Last second win against Miami. All user games were great, however. Well...minus the Sugar Bowl fiasco.

Most important recruit?
    4* ATH Steve Dunlap. Dunlap is a stud by UNC standards. He is an extremely polished WR with great hands, but can also spin the rock a little bit. He'd be a good fit for the spread option, so it'll be interesting to see where I end up putting him. Seems best suited for WR at this point. Not a blazer, but very polished.

Best "gem" recruit?
    3* MLB Justin Wilson jumped to a 75 overall, and has only been scouted about 60% of the way. My guess is he ends up in the high 70s, and is the perfect replacement for Reddick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

(Was just about to ask you and JFace907: If there is a season in review podcast, I'd definitely want to join in for like 15 minutes, possibly (limited time because I will be gone Wednesday through Friday.)

What was your team and record? Utah Utes, 11-3 (7-3 Conference, 4-1 User)

Was your first season a success? Absolutely! I mean, I honestly thought that this squad could be a NC contender but things had to break our way. And things certainly did to start but then the wheels kinda fell off because of the curse of the draft review against sawemoff and the auto-loss against Cal so those were tough. But ultimately things did break my way (not as much as I'd have liked because of scheduling conflicts with the PAC-12 title game) but then with a great bowl win over I Peench 's #3 UNC squad, it's impossible to say that it wasn't a success. And with an 11 win season and Sugar Bowl win, I should probably get that all important 5th prestige star.

Who was your offensive MVP? Easy: Senior QB Jon Hays 191-283 67.5 completion percentage for 2957 yards passing, with 33 TD's and only 8 INTs. Plus 513 yards rushing on 113 attempts for 3 TD's and only 4 fumbles. So really, he had 12 turnovers off 396 touches. And most of those fumbles were just awful pitch decisions by me. Dude ran my offense like a Swiss watch. And once guys started keying off on him, John White was able to spring loose. Going to be hell trying to replace him.

Who was your defensive MVP? Tough decision: but ultimately I'll go with Sophomore FS Eric Rowe: Leading Tackler with 44, 6 TFL, 1 Sack, 3 INTs, 1 FF. Not great to have your FS be your leading tackler but with as much as the PAC-12 throws the ball, and how he could man up in run support, I'm VERY glad he's a true sophomore so I have him for one more year.

Surprise offensive performance? Redshirt Sophomore WR Dres Anderson. My number two receiver, he still managed to lead the team with 982 yards receiving and FIFTEEN! TDs. Was only 5 catches behind #1 WR Devonte Christopher's team leading 60. Really hoping he comes back as he is incredibly fast and an 88 overall.

Surprise defensive perfomance? Redshirt Sophomore MLB VJ Fehoko. At only 75 overall, I was definitely concerned that he would be the weak link for me in the transition to my 3-4 defense. But dude was quite good with 25 Tackles, 11 TFL, 4 sacks and a FF. He'll step right up and fill Senior Boo Anderson's shoes as the #1 MLB.

What player was the biggest disappointment for you? The easiest question on here for me: Star Lotulelei. Now as a 3-4 DT, you don't really need him to be a monster on the stat sheet if he's holding down blocks. So only 13 tackles with 10 TFL, and 4 sacks isn't automatically bad IF he's holding down his blocks, splitting double teams and making opposing o-line's lives hell. Which, as a 325 lb 95 overall, he should have done with ease. But he sure as hell didn't. Was routinely single blocked, often pancaked and rarely seemed to be able to get off his blocks and be the disruptive force we needed him to be.

What was the most thrilling user game you had this year? Easily the matchup against sawemoff in week 8. Was a back and forth struggle and literally went all the way down to the end. Not thrilling at the end knowing that the dude's roster is only going to get better and I couldn't win even with a massive OVR advantage. Thankfully he's in the North division.

Most important recruit? Has to be Luke Dunn. Dude is a 79 overall with ridiculous stats. He might start right away over senior-to-be Jordan Wynn because Dunn is so much faster while having a GREAT arm. I really wish we had the physics engine because at 239, dude is a beast. Can't wait to get him out on the field.

Luke Dunn.JPG

Best "gem" recruit? Has to be Dunn, again, because he is +11. That's the most I've ever seen. Especially considering all that +11 is in stats that I want him to have as a dual-threat QB.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

2012 Oregon Ducks 10-3 (7-2) Holiday Bowl champs

Was your first season a success? No. I had a stacked team and was looking to make it to the conf championship , but thanks to 2 road losses (and wonky tie breakers lol) that did not happen.
    Who was your offensive MVP? QB Bryan Bennett , no brainer. Guy lead my team with over 3K passing yards and 500 rush yards.
    Who was your defensive MVP? That is a tough one , I would have to say my senior MLB Kiko Alonso , who was robbed of the Bednarik award to be frank. The guy had almost 90 tackles , 4 INT , 2 TD and made solid plays evey week.
    Surprise offensive performance? Kenjon Barner, I really expected him to be more explosive in this offense but he was really pretty pedestrian.
    Surprise defensive performance? Sophomore DE Tony Washington , kid had 11 TFL & 5.5 sacks. I expected him to be a weak link
    What player was the biggest disappointment for you? Barner as mentioned above , just never mad any plays.
    What was the most thrilling user game you had this year? man , I loved my game with Mike E before the reboot. I always enjoy playing my main man JFace907 ..... but beyond a shadow of a doubt it was the rival game vs. Oregon State sawemoff in the freakin snow lol. Still trying to edit the game footage to put it up. Great game.
    Most important recruit? :4stars:OLB Michael Brooks .... stole this kid from N.D. (sorry Peench lol) , after loosing Clay & Alonso at linebacker I needed some good recruits to compete, this kid may well start or atleast get some time from day 1.
    Best "gem" recruit? SS Chase Dodd , only a :3stars:but he went up 7 points with only 64% scouted. Plan to redshirt him and coach him up a season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

What was your team and record? Florida State - 12-2
    Was your first season a success? I would say yes, definitely a success. Was nice to get the Noles back to a #1 ranking for a few weeks and restore some of the Seminole pride.
    Who was your offensive MVP? Christ Thompson, RB - 1400+ yards and 14 TDs. Carried us. Literally/
    Who was your defensive MVP? Nick Moody, ROLB. Led the team in tackles with 80, and had 25 TFLs to go along with 10 Sacks, 2 FFs, and a TD.
    Surprise offensive performance? EJ Manuel, QB. Sure we didnt pass the ball a whole lot, but given all his hype since coming in, his numbers did not back any of it up. WILDLY inaccurate at times.
    Surprise defensive performance? Keelin Smith, Freshman CB. Came in and started at the Nickel spot. Recorded 50 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 picks and a huge TD for us in the ACC title game. Ended up as a Freshman All American. Coming in we didnt know if he'd even see the field but he proved to be the best defensive freshman in the Country this season.
    What player was the biggest disappointment for you? I have to go back to EJ Manuel at QB. I mean, we set the offense up for him to succeed at the beginning when we spread things out. However, he couldn't handle it and we had to go back tot he power run game all because of his inaccuracy on the intermediate routes.
    What was the most thrilling user game you had this year? The loss Bucs Miami team. Sure we lost, but it was classic Free Shoes U vs. Tha U. Most fun game all year.
    Most important recruit? James Jones, CB. Losing Greg Reids to the draft makes signing Jones a huge windfall for us. He will come in and start at Nickel back and move Freshman All American Keelin Smith to the starting corner and we won't miss a beat. Jones was HUGE for us as our Nickel back sees the field on 60% of the plays.
    Best "gem" recruit? James Jones, CB. Again, this was a huge signing. he jumped up 7 points to an 81 AND we stole him from a soft verbal to Nick Saban.
    FREE-Shoes University is back!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

:p

7. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Oregon State Beavers: 10-3 (7-2)

It went wonderful. I was scared that my defense was not going to hold up against the pass happy offenses of the PAC but the definitely proved me wrong. On the other hand I felt like the season could have been a lot more successful on the offensive side of the ball. Too man errors cost us a special season.

SO QB Sean Mannion. When starting RB Malcolm Agnew went down he stepped his game up and carried the team for those five games. Even with the all the mistakes he made up for it in clutch situations. The biggest moment of his season is when he stood in the pocket and threw a beautiful TD while getting hit in the Civil War game to win it in OT.

SR CB Jordan Poyer. This guy was always in the right place at the right time to make a play. If he didn't have butterfingers he would have had 15 or so interceptions. Poyer was always around when the ball hit the ground as he recovered 5 fumbles. The dude was also a special teams juggernaut since he returned 4 or 5 missed FGs.

SO WR Brandin Cooks. The sophomore soaked up a lot of knowledge from his fellow senior WRs and it showed on the ball field. He had 28 receptions, 526 yards and 5 TDs on the year. Mannion trusted him in some key situations and he passed with flying colors. The only problem is the dropped passes. I understand when you get hit immediately but at least two of the four he did drop was when he was wide open.

Surprise defensive performance?
    FR(RS) SS Peter Ashton. Ashton really impressed coaches during spring/summer drills and earned his spot over Ryan Murphy. He came in and was the second leading tackler with 48, had 9 tackle for loss tackles, 2 INTs, and 1 fumble recovery. During the Civil War game he played lights out recording 6 tackles and a few deflections. He was really giving QB Bryan Bennett some fits.

SO RB Malcolm Agnew. Even though he beasted in every game he could not finish it without some injury. His stats would have been stellar but with injury after injury he limited himself big time. Malcolm also was hurt for a 5 week period which really hindered his and his team's production.

The Civil War game against Danthraxxx. Snowy, windy, WRs falling down, stout defense, missed FGs, and OT really made this the best game of the year. Dan and I went back in fourth hitting each other hoping someone would give in and fall down but it never happened. At the end one missed FG decided this amazing amazing because it would later haunt the Ducks as OSU scored and then made a great 4th down stop to win it. My heart was pounding and my palms were sweating at the end of that game!

Most important recruit?
    MLB Keith Freeman. With two Seniors playing we needed a MLB and we got a solid one. Freeman will come in and immediately start as a 71 OVR Freshman. Coach saw really like his pursuit, play recognition and his ability to get off blocks.

Best "gem" recruit?
    He should be a good one by the time he is a senior
    [​IMG]

8. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

UCLA Bruins - 9-4(5-4)

Going into the season, I predicted correctly, and we ended up 8-4 on the year. The unfortunate 4 losses all coming from within the PAC-12 is concerning, but it didn't bury us and we were still able to go bowling. Despite it being a small bowl, beating Western Michigan should enable us to go from 2-Star Prestige to 3-Star Prestige, all the more reason to call the season a success. Offensively, with the new system, the numbers were great but the lack of scoring is a concern. While defensively, the numbers differ from against the run(fantastic) to against the pass(horrid.) A success? Yes. Can we do better? Absolutely.

Far and away Freshman (RS) QB Brett Hundley. With the new system, he was able to connect on 59.4% of his passes(301 out of 507), throw for 4535 yards to lead the country, and was responsible for 36 touchdowns. His turnovers were a concern (24 interceptions, 7 fumbles) but with youth comes lessons, he's learned them.

OLB Jordan Zumwalt. In the 3-4, the OLB forces pressure on the quarterback. While not recording any sacks this season, he has forced many interceptions due to pressure from the weak side of the offense. With 50 tackles(second on the team) and 19 Tackles for Loss(first on the team), this 6'4" Junior will take his great campaign into next year to lead the Bruins Defense.

WR Jerry Rice Jr., who started the season as the #2 receiver slightly beating out Rickey Marvray, ended up with the most catches(69), most receiving yards(1207) and most touchdowns(9) than any other receiver on the team.

DT Seali'l Epenesa, Junior, who beat out Senior(RS) Donovan Carter early in the fall, ended up with 11 Tackles for Loss, and 6 Sacks. Being 323 pounds, and a distraction against the run, his high moter nearly had him lead the team in sacks, a wonderful surprise.

Senior TE Joseph Fauria, the PFP Pre-season All-American, and arguably the best player on the Bruins offense really struggled in finding his way through the Air Raid offense. He ended the season with 44 catches for 571 yards and 3 touchdowns, hardly the swan song I had hoped to give him.

Is this even a question? UCLA's surprising upset of the USC Trojans in Week 13 left no nails on my fingers. Despite a healthy lead at the end of the first quarter and halftime, USC's powerful offense kept them in it until the end, winning the game by 5 points, 50-45.

Most important recruit?
    JuCo CB Antoine Sapp, 72 OVR. With our top three cornerbacks graduation this season, Sapp will immediately become the number 2 CB or Nickel back. A must have, and with experience he'll be game ready Week 1.

Best "gem" recruit?
    2-Star WR Craig Harvey, who stands at 6'7" came into our vision as a 55 OVR, and quickly was scouted to a 66(+11) recruit. While he'll struggle to find the field as a freshman, and will likely get redshirted, he could become a big part of the Air Raid as such a big target.

9. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Please answer the following questions!

What was your team and record?​

#6 Miami Hurricanes 11-2

Was your first season a success?​
    Definitely a success, i was predicting 3-4 losses year 1 but i was able to sneak a win against FSU and that really helped me over acheive a bit.

Who was your offensive MVP?​
    Gonna go with QB Ryan Williams

Who was your defensive MVP?​
    Sophomore MLB Denzel Perry man for sure, he was #3 in the nation in Solo tackles and made so many huge plays for me during the year, he flew all over the field and was the center piece of my defense. I cant wait till next year when he gets a little progression under his belt.

Surprise offensive performance?​
    WR Allen Hurns, if you would have told me that he would of had 1398 yards and 14 TDs I would have called you a liar. He balled out, and really solidified what I thought would be a weak spot for the team. He also returns next season.

Surprise defensive perfomance?​
    Im gonna go with Anthony Chikillo, but this wasn't a good surprise it was a bad one. He definitely hit a sophomore slump, only 1.5 sacks from what is supposed to be your premiere Defensive End is unacceptable, hopefully he can bounce back next season.

What player was the biggest disappointment for you?​
    See above

What was the most thrilling user game you had this year?​
    Gotta be a tie here between the Games with I Peench and Mike E. Those were great freaking games, and I cant wait to face them again.

Most important recruit?​
    Hmm i think the whole class is important honestly. I have a lack of depth here and i think alot of these guys can provide that.

Best "gem" recruit?​
    By far its HB Ken Woodward out of Seneca, South Carolina. I had him on my board starting in week 2, i was in his top 3 but wasnt really paying him any attention. Then when I lost out on a guy I decided to scout him a bit. This 72 OVR back with no real special skill set turned out to be an 80 overall power back with great ability to break tackles and truck. Im excited to get him out on the field and am debating giving him a starting job next year over a couple other guys already on the roster.

10. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

What was your team and record? #11 USC Trojans 10-3(6-3)
    Was your first season a success? Not really. I expected at least to make it to the PAC12 championship but with 3 losses in conference that crushed those expectations. Thanks MartyWebb JFace907 Baron :mad:
    Who was your offensive MVP? Matt Barkley of course he threw for 52 touchdowns and 4108 yards. Only downside was he threw 17 interceptions.
    Who was your defensive MVP? Tough to say the entire defense was pretty damn good. I would have to day DE Horton was he had 16.5 sacks.
    Surprise offensive performance? Freshman WR Victor Blackwell he was named to the NCAA Freshman All-American team.
    Surprise defensive perfomance? Horton
    What player was the biggest disappointment for you? Probably my HB Curtis McNeal it took him about 10 weeks to really get going and get involved in the offense.
    What was the most thrilling user game you had this year? The game against Danthraxxx i know we were both on the edge of our seats the entire game. I love a defensive battle and it doesn't get much better than 13-8.
    Most important recruit? Probably QB Jeremy Heinz he just needs to work on his throwing accuracy and i think he can start season 1.
    Best "gem" recruit? Cannot remember his damn name i think he was a MLB.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

What was your team and record?

NC State. 6-7

Not really. Lost a couple of games that we should have won in horrible fashion (particularly the Army game).

WR Tobias Palmer

OLB Michael Peek

QB Glennon. And it wasnt a good surprise

DE Norman. Usered him a lot. Kid was a f
    freshman and is gonna be a stud.

QB Glennon

Rivalry game vs. UNC. 23-21. FG by the Tar Heels fornthe win athe end pfnthe game.

Most important recruit?

Tom Ray. Inthink this kid is gonna produce at HB.

Best "gem" recruit?

T.C. Green. He was a 59 and committed early. I did t even scout him or know that he was a gem until the end. This is destined ti be one of thosenguys that makes a difference scenarious