Season 1 Media Days

Discussion in 'Second to None' started by Coach_III, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Media Days

ACC and SEC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coming soon.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1). With the latest coaching hires made in the ACC this year, how do you think the conference will fare overall in comparison to the rest of the NCAA?​

The ACC Atlantic will be very competitive, but the SEC as a whole is a whoa! Thank goodness they will mostly beat up on each other or we could see another #1 v #2 in the championship.​

2.) What can we expect this season from the dual sport QB Jameis Winston?​

I'd like to put a finger on it, roughly 2K passing and 500 rushing. ​

3.) Is there a possibility FSU does not run the pro -style offense this season ?​

All the way pro-style with some read option and speed option at times.​

4.) Coach your team will be on the road this season against Clemson, What are your thoughts on that game?​

The game will be electric with hopefully both of us being undefeated when the time comes. Death Valley #2 should be rockin and rollin then hopefully we can make the crowd fall silent. I don't know if they will run the spread hurry up or not but we must stop Sammy and get to Boyd early and often. Must be able to grind out the tough yards on offense and be pretty much balanced. It will be a fun one when the time comes, believe that!​

• Like Like x 5
  3. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.)Sammy Watkins coming of an off kind of season, any plans to put him in a better position to make plays this year?
    Reestablishing his status as a go-to play-maker. Watkins is injury-free now and will no doubt look to be the leader at receiver with Hopkins gone off to the NFL. Not only are hopes high for the team as a whole; hopes are probably just as high for Watkins to dominate as an all-purpose player the way we all saw in 2011.

2.) Tajh Boyd returns for his senior season, how important is he for this Clemson offense?
    Tajh coming back for his last ride is big for us. He has emerged from a backup as a freshman to one of the top quarterbacks going into 2013 campaign. With his strong arm and the size to be an outstanding signal-caller on top of his good leadership qualities spells nothing but success for the Tigers.

3.) How do you feel about Georgia coming to Death Valley as a favorite to win?
    The game will match two of college footballs top quarterbacks for 2013 in Georgia Senior Aaron Murray and Clemson Junior Tajh Boyd what more can you ask for? This is what we work for in the spring to be the best you have to beat the best.

4.) Clemson has struggled with South Carolina a great deal lately, how excited are you to get the opportunity to change that culture?
    Very excited to face the legendary Coach Spurrier but, I will be lying if I didn't tell you im not so excited about South Carolina Jadeveon Clowney being across the field. I mean who would lol the guy is a beast.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.)
    In the past coach Broth you ran a spread offense, should we expect that scheme to be implemented here a Maryland?​
    Absolutely. I fell in love with the spread watching Rich Rod and West Virginia dominate college football. His system is something I have tried to model mine off of. Speed at every position and just be faster than your opponent. Maryland has been working towards this kind of offense for the past couple seasons, and they really have an offense that can fit it. Numerous recievers like Stefon Diggs and Deon Long that are playmakers, while also having guys like Brandon Ross, Wes Brown and Albert Reid that can all carry the football. But for my system the most important position is QB, and with CJ Brown at the helm, I think we can really do some special things like we have in the past.
    2.) Which key ACC matchup’s have you the most excited this season?​
    I think heading to Tallahasee is a big game for us. Its our first conference game coming off of a bye week, and FSU is a very dominant team. I think our nonconference schedule is a little easier than we anticipated when we scheduled it, and I think we are in a position to be 4-0 heading into a road game against what will probably be a top 10 team. Definitely a game to show that we mean business.
    3.) ​
    Who will your play makers be on offense?​
    I kind of mentioned this before, but our playmakers are Stefon Diggs and CJ Brown, expect to see the ball in their hands a lot whether its in the air or running the ball. These guys have talent and could play anywhere in the country.
    4.) Who will your play makers be on defense?
    Defense will be interesting as it is a pretty unheralded unit. I think Yannick Ngakoue a freshman out of Friendship Collegiate Academy in DC has a big chance to make some plays. The kid is a dominant athlete and with some fine tuning will really scare some people. But I think LA Goree and Cole Farrand our two ILB's will determine our success this year. In the 3-4 scheme I like to run, the ILB's are the leaders, and they have to make the plays.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.) North Carolina always known for basketball, will gaining respect in the conference is priority for the Tar Heels?​
    That is top priority for myself this season. I know they love basketball but I'm gonna make sure they love football just as much. It will be a tough and long process but I'm sure i can pull it off.

2.) Tre Boston a highly touted safety this year, can you elaborate about him?​
    Tre looks like a beast. Watch him scare the crap outta apposing quarterbacks with his ball hawking abilities. He can come up and play in the box against the run. I expect alot outta this senior.

3.) Who will replace Bernard Giovani at the RB position?​
    Im gonna have to split time between Senior A.J. Blue and Sophomore Romar Morris for atleast the first part of the season. Leaning more towards Morris due to more of a speed back.

4.)What do you think of Maryland’s state flag uniform’s?​
    :banghead: Thats what i feel like when i hear anything bout Maryland unis so far lol

• Like Like x 4
  6. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.) Will it be a mission for the Canes to bring back the “swagger” to the U or id that a thing of the past and your looking into a different direction?
    The U isn't just a logo; it's a mindset; it's an identity; it's five national championships; it's 57 first round NFL draft picks. That's what we want to bring back. When The U is right, there's better the NCAA has to offer.
    2.) What are some of the goals your team will like to accomplish this season?
    Our number 1 goal is to get to double digit wins this season. That hasn't happened in ages and it's an embarrassment to all the alumni and fans. Secondly, we want to get to the ACC championship consistently. There's a lot of competition in our division, but we can do it.
    3.) How big it the Miami-FSU game for you this upcoming season?
    Well, nobody really likes FSU, right? Personally, they piss me off. That's why it's our biggest game of the season. The Hurricane Nation wants this win as badly as any of us players or coaches. They're coached well and have a lot of talent, but so do we.
    4.) What key defensive players do you have this year?
    We have a strong group of linebackers, but I think our best player is DE Anthony Chickillo. This guy is a perfect fit for any defense really and will wind up playing on Sundays. Another guy to keep an eye out for is RS freshman JaWand Blue. Sure, he doesn't have a lot of hype like other guys, but the kid can play and has looked damn good in scrimmages.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.) Coach, VT has struggled to win the big one in the past, will that be a focus here going forward?
    We're going to everything in our power to prepare our guys and get them ready for the big games, I think once we win one, the floodgates will open an our guys will begin to get the confidence need to win Big games, but until we can get the monkey off our back we just have to play our game and not squeeze the ball so hard.

2.) A win over Alabama in the kickoff game would mean what?
    It will be nice to get that monkey off our backs week 1 against Alabama , the reigning champs will probably come in ranked #1. A big W here would definitely kick off our season with a bang.
    3.) What are your plans to help Logan Thomas excel this season?
    Logan now going into his senior year pretty much has control over the offence, were going to give him manageable bll downs and distances and let him make plays either is arm or his legs. Also look for us to stretch the field to open up the run game.

4.) What player on your roster should we look out for?
    Sophomore running back JC ColeMan could win the starting duties in the backfield and if he does he'll need to be really good if the Hokies are going to do any damage this season

• Like Like x 3
  8. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.) The QB talent is as close as it gets, who will be behind the center in week one?

As you all probably know, Connor has been rehabbing from that for surgery in January and Dylan and Brendan have been getting all the snaps. Dylan is 2-0 as a starter and in both games threw for 300+ yards and 3 scores. If Shaw can't go against UNC, we're proud to be lead by Dylan. Don't forget that Shaw is 17-3 as a starter and is the all-time leader in completion percentage.

2.)What would you say Clowney needs this season to win the Heisman?

One hell of a year! He'll have to prove that he's more valuable to his team than any other player, which is a tall order. Numbers-wise...25 tfl, 15 sacks, 5 ff, and more than a few game-changing or -winning plays.

3.)Coach who is your per se underdog player this year?

Player? I guess on the offensive side we don't really have underdogs, but Rory Anderson is flying a little low on the Mackey preseason list based on the year we expect him to have. On defense, it's gotta be Sharrod Golightly. He's or starting spur this year and he's a bit undersized, but tenacious.

4.)How does the SEC stack up against the ACC this season?

The last time the ACC was in BCS contention was when Florida State and Miami were beating each others brains in from '98-'02. I think FSU is there in terms of talent, but they are nothing without that true competitor on their schedule each year to push them. I look at the ACC and there's a ton of talent, but only one competitor. I think what matters is winning championships and the SEC has not lost in a BCS championship game because our teams are tested throughout the regular season and battle-hardened. Whoever wins the SEC won't lose the national title, historically. This is the premeir conference in college football.

9. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.) What can we expect from Florida defensively this year?
    Expect it to be good unit.
    2.) Jeff Driskel, are we expecting breakout season with him this year?
    Jeff is going into this season knowing it's his team and not having to look over his shoulder. As we've gone through practice, you can tell his confidence is there, and it comes off in his throws. Plus we plan to use his athleticism, because people forget that he's a very good athlete. Jeff will be fine.
    3.) Which Florida freshman will make an impact this season?
    Kelvin Taylor is one that we see great things coming from. He's come in and shown he has the stuff to succeed. With Mike Gillislee graduating I'm expecting Kelvin and Matt (Jones) to replace that production. We also have DeMarcus Robinson, who is expected to start in the slot. He's shown quick feet for his size and good hands. Don't be surprised if he wins a game for us.
    4.)Critics say the Florida WR corps is very watered down, how do you plan to attack that?
    Quite honestly they don't have a clue what they are talking about. The receiving corp is itching to prove everyone wrong. Andre (Debose) is ready, Quintion (Dunbar) is ready, Colin (Thompson) is ready, I've already touched on DeMarcus, the whole until is ready to show that they are the best in the SEC and I believe in them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.)Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel makes return, what are your expectations concerning him?
    Well with a guy like Johnny back there, its hard not to expect him to make a play when he has the ball. Obviously he cant be perfect every down, but he doesn't have to be with his speed and play-making ability. So I guess expectations are higher than anyone in the program history.

2.)You all have Alabama in the second week of the season, how important is it to get that win?
    Well we cant think that the season is a failure if we don't pull that one down. Obviously it would put us in a hard position to get to the national title, but that will just mean we would need to work harder.

3.)Offensive wise could we see more ground offense this season?
    I think using the run more this year will be critical for success. Johnny may be the fastest QB right now and you have to take advantage of what he brings. But what makes us most excited about the run is that we have a staple of good running backs. Even though Christine Micheal was lost to the Seahawks, we return Ben Malena and Trey Williams. Not only that, but we just got Tra Carson and Brandon Williams from transfers this off-season who are both sophomores. We have the kind of running back depth that in 2 years, we could have a Pistol Full-House backfield with all running backs with a 90+ rating. And that's exciting.

4.)As of right now the University of Texas controls the state of Texas in recruiting, how important is it to be aggressive and compete for those top recruits in state?
    I think the transitioning to becoming the hub for top recruits is already happening. We received so many transfer requests this past off-season from top players, such as Carson and Williams, that didn't want to come here 2 years ago. Now they are seeing Texas A&M as a program that can win, a program that plays in the best conference, and most importantly they see we have all these things AND were in Texas. We are gonna go out and grab those guys that fit our system and we really wont be concerned what t.u. is doin'.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.)LSU had some problems moving the football in past years, what are your plans fixing LSU offensive woes?
    The offense will be led by SR QB Z. Mettenberger, a strong armed smart player, he has a WR crew that should make his job easier in the coming year. Both starting WR's are JR's and should see plenty of balls come their way. We will mix the play calling up and throw in some option plays as our back field is stacked with 4 good, strong RB's.

2.)LSU lost key players on defense to the draft, who are some key players to replace them?
    The defense is going to be led by 3 Sr's, SS C.Loston a hard hitter out of Texas, ROLB T.Jones a quick smart player on the outside and MLB L.Barrow a run stopping tackling machine. A solid d-line with 2 big Jr DT's and lots of talent at the de's. Is a freshman going to start at Re for the Tigers? Coach Waggoner will have to figure out the best way to utilize all the talent of the d-line after the summer practices.

3.)LSU always have great running backs, who will get the nod at the starting RB job this year?
    Not sure who will get the nod at RB, but we have a stable of hard nose runners. They all could see the field during the games.

4.)Will you all change your home uniforms to purple by any chance?
    Love the colors!! The coach's like to mix up the uniforms, so it is a good bet that the Tigers will wear their purple jerseys sometime during the year.

• Like Like x 2