Season 1 Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Season 1 Recruiting Discussion

Discuss recruiting battles in this thread.

2. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Not a recruiting battle but just an idea... I saw this rule in T2... the same thing in T1 also

With how tough recruiting is, and the fact no one is getting 7 5 stars and 8 4 star recruits I think we can implement this rule. Any small little thing that could help us out. I know the restrictions were so tough last season because of the ease to recruit top talent.... I think we've noticed that is not an issue this year... Lol.

3. Dru50

For now I'd prefer to leave it at 70. If anyone actually is having a problem with being able to sign more players than they need we can readdress the issue later in the season.

For our OD, I actually think a rule like that benefits the OSU's and Texas' of the world. They already have enough advantages.:D

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I agree. I have 16 seniors and 68 on my roster so I can recruit 18 guys. I don't know where the hell I'm going to find 18 players. I could pretty much guarantee I'll have walk on's next year.

5. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Advantages?? What advantages?? Texas is just a little ole state school trying to stay competitive in the cut throat world of recruiting. :eek:

6. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Look at your pipeline states. Or should I say state...lol

7. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

That's cool.... My view was that for our teams it kind of gives us a "buffer zone". I know were not going to secure more than 1/3 of the targets we offer scholarships too.... So I was thinking it would help to be able to offer up to 2 more to help pull in recruits. That's where I was coming from.

8. Dru50

That's actually a good point Shino. Last year the rule was you could never have more scholarship offers than you had players below the 70 player cap (open spots plus seniors leaving), because if you offered a guy you likely could reel him in. This year that definitely isn't the case.

I think the rule should be that you cannot sign above the 70 player cap, but you can offer more scholarships than that if you prefer. What does everyone think about that? Perry, as co-commish I really want your take so please chime in buddy.

9. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I'm for that actually, pretty reasonable with the way recruiting is this year.

10. BDSDIGITAL

I kinda agree with that in principle, but I would couple that with a harsh penalty for going over the limit to help keep the offers within reason.

11. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Big time. I cannot agree with that more.

12. Papa Perry

I think offering more scholarships than you have available is ok. But like has been said there should be a quite severe penalty for signing over. Maybe you lose 2 scholarships the next season. Offering a scholly gives you a lot of points which is needed for most of the little schools.

13. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I would like to have 71 so you can cut that walkon if need be. Also you may have someone sign on a visit and put you over the limit if you offer too many schollies.

14. Papa Perry

I don't think players sign without an offer this year. I was #3 for a recruit and -280 points back going into the last week of offseason recruiting and he signed with me. Possibly because I was the only school who offered.

15. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I'm also fine with the strict penalties if you do go over the hard cap. Sounds reasonable too me.

16. Dru50

You are OU, you actually have the ability to recruit in this league. So, that's a no big twist.;) If everyone had similarly rated teams I think that rule would work. To give the 'davids' in this league a shot (and I'm including Clemson and Minnesota in this) at competing long term, we can't have OU/Texas/OSU/FSU/PSU signing extra guys.

Here is the rule then, you can offer as many scholarships as you like, however if you sign too many players, you will be docked 2 potential commits the following season for every one player you are over. So, make sure you are being judicious in your scholarship offers.

17. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I think offering should be allowed but signing over limit is a no-no. Like others have said this year's game makes it difficult to sign players even with offers so it is far from a sure thing even with offers extended.

18. Dru50

Houston Commitments

Position PS# Name Caliber Ht Wt Comments
    MLB 40 Joe Smith :3stars: 6'3'' 249 Ideal MLB size, average speed (C+) but very quick (A acceleration). Could see significant PT his first year.

Come on guys, I know I'm not the only one who's signed a player. Let's get some content in here.

19. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Florida State Commitments

DE 3 Geoff Thomas :5stars: 6'2'' 230 Average speed at C- but good strength and tackling abilities (B). Shows Excellent Pursuit (A-). Could be a 1st year starter for the Noles

20. BDSDIGITAL

ATH 22 John Lumpkin :4stars: 6'1'' 173 John will almost certainly play DB for us in the fall, either at corner or at safety. We need all of the secondary help we can get and we think John will be able to help. He was rated with B+ speed, B- Agility, but most importantly B Man Coverage ability.
    Kicker 21 Nick Lowry :2stars: 6'2'' 210 This kicker is completely un remarkable. But I needed one, so he'll be on the roster. Enjoy the free ride son.
    Tackle n/a Tim Walker :2stars: 6'1" 300lbs Tim is a Run Blocking Tackle, but probably not much of one.
    FS n/a Zachary Davia :3stars: 6'3" 187lbs Zachary is a hard hitting safety, which is what we are looking for in order to make our defense more physical in the future. He has good acc, jump, speed, and hit ratings.
    HB n/a Cory Wolfe :4stars: 6'2" 202lbs Cory was one of our most sought after recruits. He's balanced in nature but has very good speed, agi, acc, stamina, elusiveness and juke ratings. He'll get to sit behind Robbie Rouse for a year or two before taking over the mantle as the starter somewhere down the road. We're excited to see him run!

21. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

WTF??? Texas is coming off a 13-1 season, played in last years national championship game, is currently ranked #2 in the nation, is 4-0 and hasn't signed a player yet.

In real life Texas already has verbal committments from 20 recruits for next year!!!

22. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

The Sooner have 2 commits, leaving them with 11 more to sign for the season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Iowa hasnt signed squadouche. I have something 22 seniors so my board is really packed. I think im going about it all wrong though, trying to spread out the minutes instead of concentrating on the really good recruits first. We'll see how things turn out after this home game vs Penn State.

24. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Minnesota is struggling to sign 3 star players at this point...next!

25. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I must not be that great at recruiting, because I am having trouble with Penn State. I did sign 1 guy, but I am not seeing much bite from anyone else highly rated. Oh yeah Ohio State back of the QB.

DT 13 Kyle Gordon :4stars: 6'4'' 297 B- Strength, C Acceleration, C+ Tackle and Power Moves