Season 1 - Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Dru50, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Season 1 - Recruiting Discussion

Coming soon....

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Hey I got my first recruit. :D

[​IMG]

He matters because:

a. I needed a kicker

b. he's from Texas.

Good enough for me.

3. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

That sure is a purty shade of purple!

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I would take that kicker as my only insta committ over any other player in the class. Kickers are few and far between and they almost never leave early, that's a bigger signing than most will give credit for.

5. BDSDIGITAL

yeah he's from texas too. So that constitues 25% of requirements to keep that gold mine of a pipeline for the next 4 years.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

That's good. Just keep heading west, nothing out east for you at all.

7. Dru50

Love the new sig Cole. When can we expect your post in the New Members Lounge regarding your free agency? Although you would definitely be the #2 overall TF free agent, behind a certain commish.;)

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I am not a free agent. Even if I was what I have realized in the past 5 or so days is that I wouldn't have to worry about it. As a matter of fact I fired my agent and will be negotiating solo from here on out.

9. Twister18

The Bulldogs made a huge haul, especially the OL with 5 instant commits:

[​IMG]

Hill is 6-0 301 and the #3 OC.
    Jones is 6-4 298 and the #13 OT.
    Hall is 6-0 195 and the #14 CB.
    Rogers is 6-6 279 and the #39 OG.
    Miller is 6-5 275 and the #45 OG.

10. Dru50

UCLA got a week 1 insta-commit from a 3 star guard who is unremarkable in every way. Yaaayyyyy!!!!!!

11. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

#4 CB Brandon Kemp ****
    #3 TE Daniel Bracken ****

Both prospects are planning to impregnate coeds at Knoxville next year

12. BDSDIGITAL

We got another one.

#6 SS Jeremy Flowers Hard Hitter 6'2" 209 yds. :4stars:

Dude looks really good. Good Hit power, good zone coverage, good play recognition. Traditionally safeties with a last name of Flowers have been very good too, so we are excited for this one.

13. Twister18

Georgia pulled in 3 star DT Jamal Arrington, who is 6-2 283 and most likely a career backup.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

#1 T, #10 OVR, Gerald Williams
    6'7" 301 LB's, Selma, NC
    C SPD, A- ACC, C+ AWR, B- STR, C+ PBK, C+ RBK, C+IBL
    --Williams is a solid addition to the Gators offensive line of the future. He is very athletic for his size and understands his position well.

#5 T, #34 OVR, Andy Bennett
    6'5" 288 LB's, Shelbyville, TN
    C- SPD, B+ ACC, D+ AWR, B- STR, C PBK, C+ RBK, C+ IBL
    --Bennett along with Williams will provide us with two bookend tackles for the future. As a resident of Tennessee he used his first hand knowledge and left the Vols off his top 10 completely.

#1 OLB, #61 OVR, Thomas Leach
    6'2" 222 LB's, Manning, SC
    B SPD, B+ ACC, D- AWR, B TKL, B- STR, C+ BSH, C+ PRC
    --Leach is a great combination of athletic ability, strength, and technique for an outside linebacker. Leach should see some time next season as our fifth or sixth linebacker.

15. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

C(#4) :4stars:
    6'4 278lb San Dimas, CA
    Greg Ortiz
    Guy is balanced and at a need position. Nothing flashy... O-Line recruits are very forgettable/interchangeable this year.

16. Dru50

UCLA picked up a :3stars: K and DT that nobody else was even pursuing. The hits keep right on rolling for the Bruins recruiting efforts in 2010.....

17. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Just a couple signed by Auburn but a few more should be coming soon

**** | Shane Pierce | OLB | ESPN 150. Undersized for DT at 249 and needs to get stronger (C+). He is good getting off blocks (B-), power moves (B) and finesse moves (B).
    **** | Eric Grier | HB | Good speed (B+), acceleration (B-) and agilty (B-) but has a lot of areas to develop. Needs to improve his breaking tackle abilities (C-) and his ball security (D).

18. BDSDIGITAL

[​IMG]I

I had another QB that I wanted more, but he signed with Oklahoma. I did get this guy though. Looks solid. It's Jordan Jefferson's job for two years anyway. So he'll redshirt next season and probably start as a RS soph.

But yeah, try again Florida. :D

19. Dru50

I will be updating my recruits for UCLA this week sometime. We've signed 8 guys, none of whom are really remarkable in any way. With only 3 scholarships left open, not much recruiting left to do.

20. Dru50

BTW - is anyone else entirely underwhelmed by this year 1 recruit class? There isn't a lot of quality that I'm seeing in the guys west of Louisiana....

21. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm not blown away by anyone in my class but I got a few solid players at need positions. I need to somehow pull off a top 5 year with Auburn so I have a shot at 6-star prestige. My recent signings will be added at some point over the next couple days.

22. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yes it sucks. and it sucks for oregon because we have a bunch of spots to fill. Screw that though. No way Im going after 20 guys at the same time in this game. Thanks EA.

Ill distribute the extra scholarships over the next few seasons.

Anyone else feel like they totally botched recruiting this year? If you are Texas/Bama/Florida or a top-flight recruiting school it is WAY TOO easy to recruit. If you are anyone other than those schools it is WAY TOO hard. They should just go back to where users dominate the recruiting landscape, but tune the incoming recruits for CPU schools to fall in line with their current roster/prestige etc.

23. Dru50

I'm not sure I totally agree with you on that max. It is easy to recruit with Texas or Florida, but it should be since those are the top schools in the top 2 states for high school football talent (California is similar and USC seems to dominate that state, as they should). You can recruit with lower tier schools, but you have to pick your spots. If you are using a 4 star team and try to get a top recruit from one of the top 5 schools, you have to get a bit lucky. They will outpoint you in the long run.

I actually like the recruiting system this year, since in prior years it was way too easy to take a 2 star program and become a national power in 3 seasons. In reality that never happens that quickly, turning a Utah/TCU/Boise into a national program takes a decade or more of consistent winning.

I think that's why you are seeing interest die out in some of these 'rebuilder' dynasties - guys are expecting to take a 1-2 star program and get top 10 recruiting classes in year 2 or 3. When that isn't happening, suddenly no interest is there in the dynasty. If you take a look at the Deuce, they are in year 5 with middle and lower tier programs, and even the teams that have been winning aren't able to consistently pull in recruits at a level like a Texas yet. They're doing better than they were, but not to the level of the top national powers.

24. Dru50

UCLA's recruits to date:

:4stars: DT Mark Thorne 6'4" 297 HI
    :4stars: T Brandon Harrison 6'7" 274 CA
    :4stars: G Jabari Terrell 6'3" 280 CA
    :4stars: G Adam Fields 6'2" 288 CA
    :3stars: OLB Jeremiah Berry 6'1" 212 CA
    :3stars: K Shawn Heffner CA
    :3stars: DT Michael Hughes 6'1" 272 CA
    :3stars: G Anthony Leon 6'7" 257 CA

25. Dru50

Although there are a few things I wish they'd adjust in recruiting:
    • Recruits should consider the depth chart of the team more when determining interest, as well as how many other recruits at that position have committed to a school. Having one school get 3 of the top 5 HB's (ala Perry in C2C) in one year is ridiculous.
    • The pipeline bonus should scale according to the number of players from the state - a school with 4 kids from Texas shouldn't have the same bonus as the Longhorns, who have 67 players from the state.
    • You should need more than 4 players from a state to get the pipeline bonus.
    • I wish the x2 wasn't random and that you could use the bonus 5-6 times total per year, which would add a level of strategy to the recruiting.