Season 1 Scheduling

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Brogowicz, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I know everyone is excited to get started, but it seems like there are still some things to sort out before we can get to week 1 - most notably the schedule. MSU is going to have 3 natural H2H games in the Big 10. I'm all about H2H games, but wanted to know what the current plan is for altering non-conference schedules. In my other OLDs, we have typically set a number (3, 4 or 5) as the target number of H2H games for all the teams in a given year. Are we working towards that here? If so, what's the target number?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

We have typically done 3 and let the conference championships sort themselves out. We have found that more than 3 or 4 h2h games leads to a bogging down of the dynasty pace. So if you have 3 natural you won't have to schedule a 4th unless arch allows that 4th game and you can get someone to agree to it. I kinda like the idea of making 3 manditory and allowing an optional 4th if we can work one out. It allows us to do some scheduling on our own.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Easy's got it just about right.

If, by the natural variation of the schedule, someone gets two user games in a season, we'll try to schedule a third out of conference. If this works out, great. If not, we'll figure something else out. Lots of times, we make the previous champ take on an additional game, typically voted on by the other members. So, if you win it all, it's likely that week one of the following season will see you travelling to a tough place to play.

We don't keep FBS schools on the schedule, so if you have one, you may want to suggest who you might want to replace that game with. Other than that, we don't touch schedules much unless we have to.

4. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I always try to schedule the teams like Boise St, TCU and the schools that don't have other human opponents so that we have a better chance of a H2H title game. I'm not sure how that fits in with your view of things, but it has worked well for me in the past.

In any event, I'll send you a list of schools (I know what a pain scheduling can be) that I'd like to play in place of the 2-3 replaceable non-conference games on my schedule.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

If you could please replace the FBS school on my schedule with Idaho that'd be great. Idaho is a rival.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

My first game of the season will be an FBS school so you can change that one to anything you want.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I want my fbs replaced with army

8. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I have FBS, FAU and Central Michigan. I would prefer to swap out all three. I would prefer to play top 25 teams and strongly prefer (if top 25 teams aren't possible) to play BCS conferences (Big East and Big 12 since no one else is playing in those conferences).

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

The later part of your statement sounds more feasible. If we set you up with all top 25 teams it kind of sets you at an advantage over the rest of us, not to mention it would be a nightmare to schedule. I think making sure you have BCS conference teams is more likely. If something is done that sets you at an un-sim advantage over someone else Arch isn't likely to do it.

10. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I completely understand that.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Typically, I replace FBS games with who is available, regional, and reasonable (meaning Michigan State, for example, is much more likely to get a MAC school and a Sun Belt school, for example). Sometimes the schools guys want are available, and sometimes they are not. If they're on the list of teams available, I typically make the change, but I try to get balance in the overall schedule and also, as much as possible, get guys what they want. In the past, I think it's been about 60/40 in favor of the games requested. We do what we can.

12. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I dug the kick off classic vote we did last year. Are we all interested in continuing that this year?

13. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Washington plays Eastern Washington (FCS West) Week 1. A WAC or Mountain West team would be good (Idaho, San Jose State, Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State) any of those will work.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd like to. I think it's fun.

15. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I don't really care who's added, but if it makes sense, it'd cool to play New Mexico (a rival). I would then need to have a user game to end the regular season.

Northern Arizona
    @Oklahoma State
    Stanford
    Oregon
    @USC
    @Oregon State
    BYE
    UCLA
    @Washington (User)
    Utah (User)
    @Colorodo
    @Arizona State
    Louisiana-Lafayette

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

For me, I've got my 2 natural user games and want to keep the ND rivalry no matter what... The other two don't matter to me, so if you want to mix something in Archie, that's cool with me...

I've got @ Michigan State this year and O$U at home.

For season 2, I'd like to kick off with Alabama like Michigan does in real life if that's not a problem...

17. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I'm planning on going to that game next year (if anyone else if up for a guy's football weekend). My buddy is a Michigan fan and we both want to see the 60-yard screen.

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm trying to get myself there too... I've been to the stadium on the tour that they have there... It's pretty nice, but I think if I lived there, I don't know if I'd go that frequently. It's like watching a game in your living room... It'd be easy to end up just watching the screen the entire time rather than the game.

19. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I'd like a game against Texas. They are rivals.

20. bdub

bdub Walk On

You could change my week one game to Utah State since we are rivals.

21. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

I am gonna roll with as realistic of a schedule as possible. Gonna keep year 1 as is and do some research on what we got scheduled for the next couple yrs