Season 1, Week 1 - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jul 14, 2012.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Welcome to the Regular Season of Season 1: The Cathedral '13!

Next Advance:
    -Sunday, 11:30pm EST or
    -When 11/11 are ready

Week Notes:
    -Well done boys! (especially you Bulldog getting your crap done with wife's bday!). Let's keep the fire going and knock out a few weeks here.
    -No user games Week 1
    -Five teams play their FCS game this week
    -Big match ups: Buffalo @ #6 Georgia, San Jose @ #20 Stanford, TexSt @ Houston, UMass @ UConn, Akron vs UCF
    -User games: None
    -Bye Weeks: Bulldog

Good luck!

Point of clarification: You cannot cut players at season end unless you are over 70. The six allowed cuts are to give you room if you were too over sign (admittedly not that likely). The reason we don't cut under 70 is because when you start getting low it can screw your depth numbers going forward when you wouldn't know it (getting lower and lower as you struggle to get commits every year) as well as real life rosters are 85, not 70, so we don't really want 65 guys on your roster.

2. vatechhokie01

This is where ALL game summaries and recruit commit write-ups and any discussion pertaining to the current week... in these official week threads!

3. Luke

Luke Walk On

Bulls come up short; Bulldogs escape.

It wasn't exactly the way the Georgia Bulldogs had intended to start their season out but in th end a win is a win as they defeated the Buffalo Bulls 31-17 between the Hedges to kickoff the season.
    The Bulls chances of winning the game took a tremendous blow, when Brandon Oliver took his 3rd carry of the game for 10 yards and suffered a mild concussion. 38 yards on 3 carries and the Maxwell finalist was done for the day. A report during the 3rd quarter suggested the team had hidden Oliver's helmet to prevent him from re-entering the game.
    The Bulls battled hard without their star and at the end of the first quarter held a 3-0 lead. But after that it was all Georgia. The Bulldogs would go on to score 24 unanswered and took a 24-3 lead into the 4th.

The Bulls came out in the fourth striking with a 1yd TD run by Oliver's backup Jeffvon Gill and after a Isiah Crowell fumble an Alex Neutz TD reception brought it to 24-17. The home crowd was stunned for a minute but the bulldogs then answered with a late TD pass from Aaron Murray and never looked back escaping with a 31-17 win.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Luke

Luke Walk On

Was very ghey to lose Oliver on that first series. Dude was tearing it up. the scrub backup had 28 yards on 12 carries. There was a point in the game where both RBs, my number 2 reciever, and QB were out with injuries.

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Houston Airs It Out Against Texas State

Texas State's long awaited debut in the FBS ended in a mixed bag of sorts. The Cougars rolled to a 38-10 win, but there were some positives to take away from the Bobcats performance. First the bad, Houston threw for 493 yards (those bastards were airing it out with 2 minutes to go up 28). The other major negative was the 4 picks that TSU QB Shaun Rutherford threw.

On the positive, it did appear as if Texas State could move the ball a bit. Even with the 4 very ugly picks, Rutherford threw for 215 yards. The spread running came alive later in the game as well and could be something that the Bobcats can use going forward.

Playing Air Raid teams really annoy me BTW, they threw about every ball to slot guys. Next up for me is Texas Tech...oh joy!

6. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Oh crap....I freaking forgot to wait until the file uploaded. Dammit. I am out of practice with the game.
    Sigh...my bad guys.

7. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

UMass starts the season with a win!

The name of this game is turnovers and UMass had zero! A tight game that didn't show a lead of more than 10. But it was two key turnovers that UConn gave up in the 4th quarter that lost the game. Leading 21 to 17 and with the ball. UConn quarterback Johnny McEntee held onto the ball too long on a called screen pass and was sacks and dropped the ball. UMass was right on top of it and took it to the house to take the lead and the win.
    UMass QB Kellen Pagel completed 11-19 for 173 with 2 tds. The player of the game was UMass MLB Perry Mcintyre who had 7 tackles and 1 pick.

Next week UMass opens up their home schedule with Indiana.

• Like Like x 2
  8. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

GREAT start Plague!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

UMass has bulletin board material this year. In the off season this year there was a so called "expert predictor" that came out with a video and said UMass will have an awful 2 win season. We are here to prove him wrong!

10. Pro

Pro Walk On

Flashes crush Cobras

Kent State has had good success against the FCS division, especially in home openers. Coming into the first game at Dix Stadium of 2012, the Flashes are 9-2 the last eleven years in home openers. Well that record has improved to 10-2 thanks to a dominating performance by the Blue and Gold.

The season got started in a big way when Darius Polk took the opening kickoff 99 yards to house for the first Flashes touchdown of 2012. "This was huge for us. We wanted to seize momentum right away and that's just what our special teams did." Flashes head coach Andrew Profio said. The rest of the first quarter wouldn't be nearly as exciting with both teams trading field goals to make the score 10-3 after one.

The Cobras got the scoring going in the second quarter with a 37 yard field goal. This would be the last time they scored until the fourth quarter as Kent finally woke up. Senior quarterback Spencer Keith found wideout Matt Hurdle on a curl route, a pass Keith shouldn't have thrown as it was almost picked. Somehow Hurdle ignored the defense being draped all over him, made the catch, and took the ball 80 yards for the touchdown. After forcing a Cobra three and out, Keith found Hurdle again on a crossing route. Hurdle once again knew what to do with the ball and run 26 yards for another Flashes touchdown. Sophomore running back Trayion Durham capped the offensive barrage with a beautiful 36 yard rushing touchdown. "Durham really read the field well and followed the blockers." Profio said.

The Flashes put in their second stringers about mid way through the third quarter as they were up 31-6. Kent would make a 29 yard field goal off the leg of senior kicker Freddy Cortez. Flashes back up running back Anthony Meray would push the score to 41-6 on his 10 yard touchdown scamper. The Cobras finally found the endzone when quarterback #13 found his wideout from 11 yards out. Kent recovered the onside kick and ran the clock out winning the game 41-13.

"This was a good way to start our season. We have high expectations for the first time in a long time around here. Hopefully the fans will continue to support this team and come out to some games." Profio said after the game.

The now 1-0 Flashes will travel to Kentucky for a battle with the Wildcats.

STATS

Spencer Keith QB: 5/9 159 yards 2 tds
    Cedric McCloud QB: 2/4 35 yards

Trayion Durham RB: 14 carries, 113 yards, 1 touchdown
    Anthony Meray RB: 11 carries, 33 yards, 1 touchdown

Matt Hurdle WR: 3 catches, 125 yards, 2 touchdowns

Roosevelt Nix DT: 5 tackles (2 for loss) 1 sack

• Like Like x 4
  11. vatechhokie01

I will do my write-up momentarily :).

12. Goose

Goose Walk On

"If it was up to most of you guys we would be a D-2, hell a D-III team. All summer long my guys and me have been reading about how you all think we're horrible, well we didn't let any of that sink in. All along I've told my guys that we can compete with most of the teams in the country and I think we proved it today. Hell I think we were a 2 touchdown underdog today. What did the final score read? 17-6 good guys. That's right."

These were the only words that Akron Head Coach Anthony Edwards Sr. had to say at the press conference after the game. The University of Akron has opened up the 2012 football season at home with a win. They only won one game all of last year and didn't even come close in any other game. The first quarter ended in a deadlock 0-0 tie as both teams defenses came to play. It wasn't until 3:12 left in the second quarter that QB Moore hit Russell on a 29 yard fly route that either team scored. UCF would answer with a 34 yard field goal on their very next drive. Akron then drove down the field and knocked in a 17 yard field goal as the half expired.

Akron intercepted Blake Bortles 3 times in the game and turned one of those INT's in the third quarter into a TD as Clayton Moore hit Marquelo Suel for a 51 yard TD. Then tragedy struck on the next drive as Suel went down after catching a screen pass. The doctors have said that he could be out for the next 6-8 weeks.

Moore ended the day 8 of 17 for 175 yards with 2 TD's

Sophomore phenom Jawon Chisholm rushed for 46 yards on 17 carries.

Junior Keith Sconiers caught 4 passes for 80 yards.

Akron heads down to sunny Florida to take on the Golden Panthers of FIU next week.

13. Goose

Goose Walk On

Dangit. My son stepped on the controller during the end load and hit 'X' and none of my vids saved.

14. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

looks like we are all a bit rusty with the post game stuff. :) I just completely forgot to actually exit the game. I turned off the machine after the game like I was playing online or something.

15. Goose

Goose Walk On

Nice job. I set the controller on the ground below me and my son wanted a hug. Stepped right on the buttons.

16. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Thanks for the positive reinforcement Heath lol...
    I'm working on recruiting online via the EA website (piecing it together at work) so hopefully you ladies can all get your games in and advance early for those who anxiously await week 2!

• Like Like x 3
  17. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Texas State Loses in Worst Offensive Game Ever Played...

I lost 34-3, and it wasn't a blowout. I was picked off 7 FREAKING TIMES and fumbled once on my own 1 somehow. This lead to 4, count em 4, defensive touchdowns for the Cougars of Houston. One guy for them had 4 picks. Nothing I did even came close to working. I was an absolute embarrassment on offense.

Sadly, my defense played out of their minds. Houston did not score an offensive TD, I held them to under 200 yards of offense. I sacked their QB 11 times.

I don't think I have ever been so totally inept on offense. YIKES!!!

• Like Like x 3
  18. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Good game Goose. It will be interesting to see if injuries work this year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. vatechhokie01

Weave. our teams are horrid, lol. I was soaking up the FCS game pretending I was good. No idea how UMass beat UConn.

20. Brettmonty

Brettmonty Walk On

Great start for Middle Tennessee State

First quarter started out great for MTSU by scoring on there opening drive with a 21 yard pass for a TD. Rest of the first quarter was Defense and it was punt, after punt, and dropped passes. Even into the middle of the 2nd it was all Defense. Until MTSU finally got through the Cupcake SE U's defense and scored once more on 33 yard pass for TD> Then with about 25 seconds left was where it went all bad for FCS SE by throwing 2 pick 6's making it 31-0 at half-time. Sad that the defense scored as many touchdowns in less than 30 seconds then the MTSU offense did in 2 full quarters. 2nd half was boring with only 10 points being scored in just the 3rd quarter and no points being scored in the 4th.

Head coach Montgomery had this to say " It's going to be a great season for us. We showed it today on the field, and the defense showed up in a big way by shutting out the opposing team and even scoring 2 touchdowns. However our our offense will need to much better and our wide receivers will need to show up and catch instead of dropping everything."

Stats
    Quarter Back Logan Kilgore was 8- 21 for 129 yards, had 2 touchdown passes, and 1 INT

Running back William Pratcher rushed for 63 yards on 11 carries and 17 receiving yards on 1 and One touchdown

FS Denzell Guerra had 4 tackles and 1 INT for 25 yards and a touchdown

• Like Like x 1
  21. vatechhokie01

UTSA 49, FCS SE 14

The Roadrunners opened there inaugural FBS season with a bang. Playing the mighty snakes of FCS-E (who apparently were playing their 4th game of the day), it was all Roadrunners early as UTSA jumped out to a 21-0 1st quarter lead and 35-7 halftime lead on the back of electric junior QB Eric Soza. Spreading the ball around between runs, options, passes, and qb keepers, the Roadrunners only real hiccup of the day was when moron rookie Head Coach decided after halftime to run Soza out for one last series to get some practice in before the real schedule hits. The first play of the 2nd half would be Soza's last play of the game as he exited with a 1-week abdominal tear. Soza after the game said, "Yea, coach isn't the brightest tool in the cave." Errr..... alright Eric.

The 2nd teams offenses and defenses would steer the course for the Roadrunners the rest of the way.

[​IMG]

22. vatechhokie01

guys, the scores and stats are looking really really solid (as far as sim play!). thank you for not being cheesing homers. Let's hope G Morg, Mullen and Bonner finish it out well. Couldn't be more amped by the new guys. Thank you.

P.S. Figure the videos out. I have saved videos of every game I've played on the console this year to test and haven't had one issue. THis is important. We'll work out the kinks :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  23. vatechhokie01

New Hot Seat by Weave up!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  24. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Akron beats UCF...thats a big win goose. The Owls take flight very soon. Why am i so excited....nerd

• Like Like x 1
  25. G Morg

G Morg Walk On

Gaming now...I'll be back in an hour or so