Season 10 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by bravejaf, May 3, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Post game summaries here

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

#5 Nebraska - 45
    #19 Clemson - 17

The Cornhuskers overcame 2 bad first half INTs by QB Justin Ryan (15/23, 194 yds, 2TD 2INT), and got a 4TD, 156 yard performance from HB Aaron Moore to propel them to victory over the now-ranked Tigers led by Clay. Even though Nebraska started the game with a touchdown drive, Clemson quickly showed that they were here to play, going up 10-7 heading into the 2nd quarter thanks to a Ryan INT and good play from their offense. However, Clemson QB Jay Rich (17/37, 259 yds, TD 3INT) quickly got bit by the turnover bug, and Nebraska was able to go on a huge 38-0 run in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to put the game out of reach. Clemson would add a final TD in the 4th quarter, but it was too little too late. Nebraska once again shut down the opposing running game, and MLB Carl Landrum came up with 2INTs on his own to lead the defense.

3. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

OU: 34 UCLA: 24

The Sooners opened the season with a huge win over the defending national champ UCLA Bruins 34-24. The Sooners used a very potent running attack, led by sophomore RB Marcus Smith, who had 217 yards on 17 carries and 2 tds, including 2 huge runs through holes opened by the interior of the Sooner lines. QB Zach Jones went 10/17 and 164 yards and a td and a pick. Smith got those yard despite missing 2 quarters due to injury.

The Bruin offense was plagued by dropped passes all day and overthrows by QB Davis.

The Defensive player for the Sooners was MLB Logan Cody who had 10 tackles and 4 TFL.

Great game Perry!!!

4. Twister18

OU: 35 OSU: 28

The Sooners played the second ranked Buckeyes after their defeat of UCLA and prevailed 35-28. The running game that helped defeat the Bruins was held in check by the Buckeye defense so QB Zach Jones took over.
    The QB went 15/20 for 305 yards and 3 tds. TE Herbert Henry had 5 catches for 114 yards and 2 tds and Thomas Hill had 2 catches for 86 yards and 1 TD.

The Bucks RB Jesse Parker was shredding the Sooner D until going out for the game with an injury.

The defensive star for the Sooner was FS Bryan Todd, who led with 8 tackles and 1 FF.

Great game Brave!!

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah great game Twist. I won't be sad to see Henry leave.

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Great wins Twist !!!

7. Twister18

Thank you. I just hope the injury bug doesn't bite.

8. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

WSU 35
    #24 Clemson 21

After last season's embarrassing lost to Clemson 35-0, Coach Cougs started thinking maybe "The Spread" was not built for WSU. This lost was in the middle of a stretch of three straight user games where the Cougs were outscored 0-105. In the off season Cougars' changed their offensive philosophy to a pro style offense and it has paid dividends in the second game of the season.

In this game the Cougs made several big plays that led to this victory. The first was forcing a field goal in the first quarter when Clemson had the ball inside the Cougs 10. Then later in the first quarter, WSU QB Drew Webb threw deep pass to Mark Whitlock who caught it and scored a TD. Clemson responded with 10 unanswered points which included an impressive an 87 yard TD run by RB Jeremy Thurman. After that it was all WSU. The Cougs responded with an impressive drive resulting in a 9 yard TD pass to true freshman TE Tyler Byers. Clemson tried to respond before half, but their QB's pass was picked off by Terrell Crum. WSU moved the ball back down the field and scored scored a TD off a 4 yard by Antwon Brady making the score 21-13. Then Terrell Crum would intercept his second pass of the game at the start of the third quarter and returned it 28 yards for the score making it 28-13. Antwon Brady would add another score making it 35-13. Clemson tried to make a valiant comeback, but the comeback was stopped when Jordan Ross picked off a pass.

Good Game Clay.

9. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Good game.

10. gowazzucougs

Oregon 24
    WSU 42

The Cougs used a balance attack to beat up on the Ducks. HB Gene Hunter rushed for over 100 yards and scored 1 TD after Antwon Brady got hurt in the first half. In addition Drew Webb and Stevie Williams both threw 2 TDs a piece as the Cougars offense kept the Ducks off balance. The game was close in the first half, but WSU broke it open in the third quarter scoring 14 points. The big score was a 65 yard TD pass from Webb to TE Tyler Byers. Byers continues to impress this season, as he caught 10 passes and 2 TDs. Up next Stanford in Week 5.

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Nebraska - 34
    Alabama - 21

Well Nebraska switched from the Arizona playbook to the Hawaii playbook for the 2nd game of the year, and QB Justin Ryan had lots of success, but quite simply there weren't enough running options for the Huskers with the Warriors playbook. Ryan was 18/24 with 4TD and 71 yards rushing, and Nebraska dominated the 4th quarter 13-0 to pull away at the end. Expect the Huskers to switch playbooks for the final time in a couple weeks against Oklahoma.

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 36
    UCLA 35

This game started off very slow. Neither squad scored in the first quarter but OSU scored on the first play of the second quarter. QB Hollis hooked up wih WR2 Miller for the 13-yard TD. The score would remain that way going into half. OSU had a shot of putting points on the board but an interception ended that drive. UCLA lost the field possession battle for most of the half, usually starting inside the 20.

The quiet game got noisier in the second half. UCLA tied the score at 7 after Davis hooked up with WR Martin for a long score. The OSU defender tried to make a play on the ball but it went just over his shoulder pad. Ohio State would take the lead back on the next drive. WR1 Graham scored a short rush TD on a WR reverse. In the fourth quarter that lead would increase to 14 points when HB2 Bennett scored off a fake reverse. This lead would be quickly stolen away by UCLA. Davis and Martin hooked up again to cut the lead to 7, less than a minute after Bennett's score. On the next drive OSU's coach called the worst play possible, given the situation. The Buckeyes tried a WR screen but the play was easily picked off by UCLA CB Williams. He returned the pick for a TD. After OSU was stopped, UCLA had a shot at taking the lead. The Buckeyes held UCLA to 4th and short but coach Perry elected to go for the first. The play worked to perfection and HB Foster went untouched for a 61 yard score. This left OSU with under a minute to score a TD. The Buckeyes pulled off that feat. The tying score was a pass from Hollis to TE Lewis. Ohio State initially lined up for the 2-point conversion and the win, but ended up kicking the extra point.

Ohio State won the toss and UCLA started with the ball. The Bruins got the ball near the goal line and Foster punched in the short score. Ohio State struggled to move the ball on first and second down, but converted some big 3rd downs. The game came down to a 4th and 1, inside the 5 yard line. Ohio State gave the ball to its mammoth FB Williams, and he got the first down and the touchdown. This time Ohio State stayed with the 2-point conversion. UCLA appeared to expect a pass so Bennett easily scored on the 3-yard run. This gave the Buckeyes a much needed win, while putting the reigning National Champs in an 0-2 hole. Next up for Ohio State is some much deserved rest after a brutal 3 game stretch. After the bye the Buckeyes play Michigan State and arch-nemesis Penn State.

@Papa Perry - hell of a game man, that was one for the ages

13. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 56
    Oklahoma St- 40

This game was very interesting and if you just looked at the stat line you would think the Cowboys ran away with this one. Ok St ran more plays 61-30, had more yards 575-352, and TOP 18:00- 10:00. But with 3 KR, yes 3 KR for TD and a fumble return for a TD Penn State was able to survive this shootout. Robertson had a huge game on the ground 15 carries for 218yds 3 TD including an 84yd and 50yd runs. GG Jman, better to be lucky than good sometimes.

14. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

1) Speed Kills. Kills.

2) 21 points off Kick Returns Kills. Not to mention being stopped inside the 10 twice was not good.

GG Hokie, I thoght I was going to give ya a run.

15. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm kicking it out of bounds against Penn State. I am going to start practicing on angling my kicks out of bounds inside the end zone :).

16. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

that is crazy!

17. Hokie Effect

Might as well mention it, that I also had a KR TD against Cougz in week 1.

18. Bl0ndeRedHead

If I end up playing Hokie this year I'm just glad I have a kicker that can kick it past the end zone

19. gowazzucougs

Yes NO ONE should kick to Hokie this year. Jman if it is any consolation I have given up two kickoff returns in one game (twice, shockingly I won one of those games), but never three.

20. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

It depends on the wind. With no wind he is kicking it 5 yards deep into the end zone on almost every kick. I think my kicker is a redshirt freshman so he doesn't quite have the leg of my redshirt senior punter last season.

21. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

The KRet's really don't bother me that much, one was wide open gap, the other two were inside then outside moves by him I couldn't catch up to. I really was in this one, a bad T/O and FG's killed me more than the KRet's. Dykes still had 119 and 1 TD and my QB went for 420+ and 4/1. Offense wasn't an issue, just big plays.

22. gowazzucougs

#22 WSU 31
    #13 Stanford 14

WSU played outstanding as they defeated the Cardinal. Drew Webb played well throwing four TD passes, three to Curtis Townsend. Both Running backs Gene Hunter and and Joey Thomas rushed for over 50 yards a piece as Antwon Brady sat this game out because of injury. The Cougs will be looking forward to the annual match up with UCLA in two weeks as Brady continues to rest.

23. Hokie Effect

Penn State- 70
    Illinois- 19

Only thing worth reporting is that I lost QB Jones for the year with a torn shoulder injury. How conveniwnt with tOSU next!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bl0ndeRedHead

Can this be braves year?!

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

Oh and I'm predicting that OU makes the BCS title game this season, he is loaded