Season 10 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons

After going 12-1, winning the ACC and getting taken out to the woodshed in the national title game a year ago, all speculation was eluding to another strong run by the Deacons last season. Unfortunately, the running game that powered the offense to success in previous years lacked the punch to consistently move the ball. The Demon Deacons were forced into more passing attempts than they felt comfortable with and the uneasy balance of completing short passes for first downs was often disrupted.

This year figures to gear more towards the offensive strengths for Wake Forest. Sr C Graham Jackson is one of the best offensive linemen prospects in the nation and anchors a veteran OL that figures to help open up the holes for the two-pronged rushing attack. HB Terrell Cooper spent most of last year on the bench after a lackluster spring, but started to emerge as a real threat. Coming out of spring camp this year, Coach Drifter made it clear that there was no definite leader for the starting HB job. Competition drives improvement. Cooper got the starting nod for the season and has not disappointed. He is bigger and faster than Jr HB Adam Williamson, who is more of a 3rd down/finesse back. Williamson will continue to be a figure in most of the shotgun sets, passing downs and the wildcat.

The WR corps is much more talented this year as well. So(RS) WR Martin Bryant returns to the field after blowing his knee out and taking a medical redshirt before the start of the season last year. Sr WR Lance Brown figures to be the leading receiver, but Martin Brunner has legitimate number one skills as well. Wake Forest is finally stocked up at the TE position as well. SR TE Nick Lowe has found a field he can frolic in after transferring from Florida (where he received a total of 2 receptions in two years) and could very well lead the team in receiving yards by the end of the year. Talented true frosh TE Mark Williams (PS#1) is bigger and compliments Lowe well in Coach Drifter's two TE offense.

On defense most of the turnover is seen on the DL. Gone are AA DE Rob Russ and DT Steve Gaston, but stepping into their roles are capable prospects. DE Derrick Sunderland takes on the book end job opposite Andrew Johnson while DT Brandon Shaw steps into the hole-plugging role in the middle. AA Terrance Perry will continue to anchor the defense at the MLB position and gets some help this year from true frosh OLB Byron Flynn. CB Vincent West continues to prove that he can lock down one side of the field and that leaves FS Kevin Coleman to patrol the middle. Surprise of the offseason has to be the presence of JUCO transfer SS Jon Beck, who is now starting. Coaches thought that he might be a role player on special teams, but Beck has proven he can play immediately by dealing punishing hits to whoever is brave enough to catch a ball over the middle.

On the recruiting trail, the theme of this class is definitely athleticism. Coach Drifter has several high profile recruits pegged on his board and will throw the house at them. This should be a small class for Wake and with no pressing needs outside of depth, the coaching staff is going full throttle towards the top of their board. One pledge has already been received in :4stars: PS#4 TE Justin Lowe, which means the Deacons should be done recruiting the TE position for some time now.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    So I guess everyone just gets a free scouting report on my team? You guys are sorry...

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Sorry man, I've been so freaking busy I don't even know who is on my team yet.

4. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

The title says Wake Forest season preview... So I obviously cant reply here...

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Or I could easily change the title if someone wants to take the 10 minutes to do a write up...

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya I always do team write ups. I really didnt respond here because this was your little Wake Forest thread...

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

This was my thoughts too. A Miami summary would seem out of place in this thread. I figured Drifter was playing the I'm better than everyone else card and creating his own personal thread that he didn't want to share with anyone :)

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Mississippi State enters their first year as a 6* program following a 12-1 finish and BCS Sugar Bowl victory. We are already putting the 6* prestige to use with a healthy group of highly rated recruits on our board and may sign the schools first [​IMG] prospect. The biggest hurdle of course will be Ole Miss who has had our number and the National Championship the past several years. We have close the gap some as Ole Miss has hit the ceiling, but we still have some work to do. Our other big hurdle will be against the NC runner up Boston College who we face in week 7. If we can take down that talented team, we should be #2 headed into the Ole Miss game.

On offense Heisman hopeful and SR RS QB Hodges returns. Hodges has been an excellent 4 year starter for us and is 97 ovr. He is the best QB ever at Miss St, and possibly one of the best NCAA all time QBs as he has a shot at career NCAA records this season. He was hurt early for a couple weeks, but we should have him back for the BC game. We have a good backup in Barber who is 85 overall and can use his legs some and open up the playbook a bit more when he is in, but doesnt have the precision Hodges does in the passing game.

In the backfield, we have Fr Rs D. James and Jr Rs Kerr. Kerr was the backup last year and managed 700+ yards and 10+ tds. He is a speedster with 97 spd and is a great change of pace, but is smallish and fragile so can't be an every down back. We are excited about Fr James as he is our first [​IMG]HB. he comes in at 82 in his first playing season and the sky is the limit for him. He also has good hands for a rb and can be dangerous in the passing game.

Our wideouts are solid but unspectacular this season. We have no 90+ biletnikoff/heisman guys but we have 3 guys rated 86,85, and 84. Sr Smiley is the #1 target and is a good overall receiver. Chambers and Perry are both Jr RS and they will get their share of opportunities and should be a great duo for us next season. At TE, we still have Houston and Franklin and this is a position that needs to be addressed, but we have been unable to thus far. We have yet to recruit a standout TE.

On the Oline we are please with the group we have. We have a dominant RG in the making with Fr Rs Latimer at 83 overall and his freakish athletic ability for his size. Sr LG Williams is the leader of the Oline at 87 overall. The rest of the Oline rounds off in the mid to low 80s. We do have a couple seniors who will need replacing soon.

On the defensive side of things, we very happy with the direction it is going in. We have finally got to the point to where our D has caught up to our offense. On the line we have a slew of recent young [​IMG]DEs. They should be outstanding as they mature. My DTs are led by monster Harrison. As an 87 Jr RS DT, we expect big things from him this season the next. We also have soph cooke who is young and big and comes in on nickel packages with 4 dlinemen.

We have the best LB crew yet at Miss St and they have been instrumental and slowing down opponents run game. Sr Rs OLB Allen is our defensive leader and is all over the field. On the other side, Jr Brown is an 85 and will probably be even better than Allen next season. We love browns explosiveness at 85 spd and 99 acc. In the middle we have young stars in the making sophs Morris and Causey. They are both very quick and Morris ability to scrape down the line and make tackles on the backs has been outstanding.

Our weakest position on the team is still at CB. Though we finally have an 80+ starter in 81 overall Griffin. He has some great coverage skills and if it werent for his poor hands, would be a much higher rated CB.
    We have a few younger guys in the 70s who will hopefully progress and step up in the future. At FS we have big play Robinson who is always around the ball. We will miss him as he is a Sr, but will be big for us this year. At the SS position we had to make a tough decision between Fr Hawk and Jr Johnson. Johnson is a solid 86 ovr but is a bit slower. Hawk isnt as aware and lacks some intangibles, but is much quicker. We went with Hawk as we need the pass protection help more than the run defense and he should assist our weaker CB unit. Johnson still has plenty of chances to see the field.

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Offense

Offensively the Tar Heels look to control the tempo of the game with the running game, and use that to set up the pass. Our running game is definitely our strength, with senior HB Adam Harris expected to have a good year. Senior QB Jon Fowler is also going to be an asset running some option plays with his athleticism and big body (6'7 222). The receiving corps is fairly young, with 2 sophomores and a junior as the top 3 receivers and it shows at times. They drop more balls than what we would like, but we expect that to improve as they mature. There's not a whole lot of size or extraordinary athleticism out of any of them except for 4th string receiver Doug Bennett who has some good speed, but they work hard and will hopefully produce well for us. The offensive line is the most experienced group of the offense with 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting.

Defense

Defense is definitely the weak point in this team. We will be hoping the offense can outscore most teams, and only rely on the defense for a couple of stops per game. Ratings wise the secondary is the strength of this team, but they really struggled last season. Senior SS Carlos Britt is the leader of this defensive unit. While he's not spectacular athletically, he is good in coverage, has good hands and can really pack a punch over the middle of the field. The linebacking corps is led by MLB Jermaine Humphrey who really came on strong at the end of last season. The OLB positions will be a weakness for the Tar Heels defense with JR Mark Henderson (67 OVR) and JR Todd Jones (72 OVR) starting on either side of Humphrey. The defensive line will be solid for us this year, anchored by RS JR Quinton Warren. We plan to mix up between 3 and 4 man fronts this year, and DT will be manned by RS SR Gordon Allen in 3 man fronts and RS JR Bill Clark will join him in 4 man fronts. RS SO Jason Burley will take the LE spot and will need to mature quickly, as I'm sure opposing defenses will be looking to attack our d-line.

Overall

This year the Tar Heels are looking to finish with 7-8 wins and finish above .500 in the conference. Hopefully we can finish ranked high enough to gain a 4th star and open up some better recruiting possibilities and start rebuilding this program.

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

OFFENSE

RS JR QB Adam Fuller finally gets his chance to be king after 3 yrs of waiting behind Hancock and juco superstar Harris. Helping his cause is 2 superstar WRs in Dotson(97) and Rucker(98) and a awesome offensive line to keep him off his back. The running game will feature a 3 headed monster in Fontaine, Brown, and Thompson which should wear down defenses by the time the 4th qtr hits. This yr BC goes from running a singleback offense to running more of a pro-style offense hoping to help out the run game after bringing in FB Justin Bishop who comes in with a 81 Run block.

DEFENSE

BC comes in replacing 3 starters on defensive line including the sack master Humphrey. Also losing Award Winning MLB Jenkins and 2 time thorpe winner Wilson. On the Defensive line we have replaced humphrey with RS FR Marvin King(86) who should help in the run game. His partner is RS JR Chaz Gooden(87) who should get around 10 sacks. The Biggest piece to this defense is RS SO DT Leigh Bennett(89) who looks to be a replica of warren Sapp. It would have been nice for Wilson to stay, but overall the secondary got alot better with a added yr of experience..

Overall

Even with the tough schedrule look for BC to contend for a NC after falling short of last seasons Big game against rival coach OM.

*Fontaine is out for the yr and Brown is in the dog hose for sucking. 3headed monster is now a 1 man show..