Season 2 (2012) - Scores

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Dru50, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Post 'em up.

2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

[​IMG][​IMG]

Buckeyes Edge Out Tide
    Ohio State overcome the rainfall of yellow hankies in 1 point victory

OHIO STATE 22
    Bama 21

Columbus, OH: "I thought it was United Nations out there with all those flags flying." Those strong words came from Ohio State Luke Fickell in a game that saw more flags thrown than the 2011 Ohio State SEASON penalty total. The Buckeyes would overcome it with solid play by Junior Running Back Jamaal Berry who fell just shy of 200 yards on the ground and crossed the goal line twice for the Buckeyes. "He came out and played great. He didn't let anything phase him and i love that about him. He stays very even keeled and its what we look for in a leader," Fickell said of his starting halfback. Much like in 2011 the Buckeye D has found themselves vulnerable to the big play with all 3 Bama scores coming directly from a big play or off of one. "This has gotta stop. Its all mental lapses too. Need to sharpen these guys up and keep their minds right."

The Buckeyes will now have a bye week to collect their thoughts before they go on their California tour with stops in Palo Alto and Berkley.

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

STANFORD HOLDS ON TO UPEND HORNED FROGS

Stanford: 28
    TCU: 23

The defense wasn't stellar, but the offense did just enough to push Stanford to a road win against #17 TCU despite 11 penalties. Stepfan Taylor led the Stanford attack, gaining 147 yards on 27 carries and accumulating 2 TDs. Andrew Luck had himself a successful outing despite a rocky start, going 7-11 with a TD and one pick. The story of this game, however, were the penalties. It was announced in the preseason that the refs would take a hard stand and clean the game up, and they certainly lived up to it by calling over 100 yards in penalties against the Cardinal. On the penalties, Cheez says "we've got a tough schedule coming up, and we will not be successful in the future with these flags". Coach Cheez is right about that - next up for the Cardinal is a trip to Madison to face a Badgers squad that is somewhat familiar with a power offense.

4. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

MICHIGAN STATE 54
    BOISE STATE 7

Experts didn't expect a blowout like this in the season opener for the #14 Spartans and the #11 Broncos. From the getgo it was obvious that MSU meant business as their offensive line dominated Boise. Junior halfback Leveon Bell made Spartan fans forget about Edwin Baker, as he ran for 223 yards and 2 scores. On the other side of the ball, Tyler Hoover's replacement, DE Corey Freeman had an amazing 5 sacks, including 1 for a safety. Also having a great game was Junior Middle Linebacker Max Bullough, who recorded an INT as well as 2 fumble recoveries.

Mark Dantonio said it was a great start to what should be an exciting season, and added "Le Veon Bell will have a monster year if he can stay healthy. He's a huge downhill runner, perfectly suited to our smashmouth offensive style."

5. Dru50

Guys, stats and scores like the MSU-BSU score is what worries me about having 8 minute quarters. I have no idea if Boise sucks now that Kellen Moore is gone (which is likely), but if the scores and stats (5 sacks by a DE in a game is kind of crazy) continue in this vein, we'll be going back to 7 minute quarters.

Just to let everone know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I'm totally fine with 7 min quarters. The CPU had about 10 holding penalties, I had a few as well. Boise must suck, that game felt like I was playing on varsity. Of course, the first game of the season the CPU always feels soft, and then seems to adjust in weeks 2 and 3.

7. Dru50

Not meaning to call you out or anything Corey, my comment is more for guys like Cheez and JFace907 as I had discussions about my concern using 8 minute quarters with them a lot last week.

8. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

It's all good. I'm as surprised by that result as anyone. I've been practicing a lot, but that was crazy. I doubt I'll repeat it.

Just want to add, that I pretty much only control the left DE for the whole game. 5 sacks is a really good game, but I may be able to repeat that on 7 mins, or at least come close. Tyler Hoover finished with more than 20 last year, and that was with DT James Worthy beside him with a 85 overall, now that Worthy is a senior and is a 91 overall, I imagine I'll be getting a ton of sacks this year. Defensive line is my strong suit.

9. Roogy

Roogy Walk On

55[​IMG][​IMG]20

Runnin' Wildcats Use Ground Attack to Pound Aggies
    Nwoko and Casey both top the century mark carrying Arizona to 55-20 rout

[​IMG]

It was the type of game that Coach Roogy Roogs was hoping for when he saw New Mexico State on the schedule and his team capitalized. "Once I saw the Aggies on the schedule, I knew it was going to be a fun day. I typically don't get too cocky but we all know State sucks," said Coach after the game. Despite committing 118 yards in penalties, Arizona used a combination of the run and pass to will their way to 464 yards of total offense. Senior RB Greg Nwoko led the attack with 164 yards and 3 TD's on 28 carries. Backup RB Ka'Dem Casey provided a pleasant surprise with 113 yards on 7 carries, including 2 TD runs of 45 and 62 yards respectively.​

In his first year as starting QB Bryson Bierne managed the game fairly well throughout but was never asked to do too much as the run game led the way. The senior Bierne finished with 187 yards passing and 2 TD's on passes to TE Terrance Miller and WR Josh Gross. "I know I have some big shoes to fill with trying to replace Nick Foles but I feel really confident about this offense, specifically the line in front of me," said Bierne. TE Terrance Miller led all Wildcats receivers with 133 yards including a 35 yard TD catch.​

[​IMG]
    Nwoko controlled the tempo from the outset with 164 yards total on the day

The defense did it's part in making Aggies QB Tanner Rust miserable as they picked off 4 passes on the day. In addition to his 4 INT's, Rush threw 2 TD passes on 241 yards. Rush was forced to the pass earlier since the Aggies were forced to abandon their ground game. Rust felt the hurt as well. Arizona was whistled for 7 different penalties, all roughing the quarterback. "If you even touched him with your pinky, the refs would call it. I can't stop my momentum when I'm coming full speed like a truck!" said Freshman MLB Randall Green.​

The #20 Wildcats will face a huge early season test as they travel to Happy Valley to face the NCAA runner-up Penn State Nittany Lions. "This is about as tough of an early season test as there is," said coach Roogy. "Not only are we going into a stadium of 100,000 plus fans, we're doing it against a damn good football team that almost won the entire thing last year."​

Greg Nwoko's first TD on the day

A 1st quarter interception from CB Jonathan McKnight

Casey's first TD on the day, shocked by his explosivness. Wasn't expecting it.

Casey's second TD on the day

• Like Like x 1
  10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

#15 Badgers -24- @ #18 Seminoles -21-

First half - the teams combined for 16 penalties for nearly 200 yards. Start drive out with two good plays, 1st and 30. Pound the rock in for six on third and 3, nope, 3rd and 13. FSU scored twice on a first possesion fumble by White they took to the house and a bomb to their receiver Smith. After dropping 3 straight "guaranteed" user picks I let the cpu corner in perfect coverage play the pass and he just stood as the ball went through him and the receiver made a basket catch from my guys liver.

Second half - We continued to shut the Noles down except for a big run by Thompson where he should have been tackled a couple times, but we were happy to keep to just the one big play. Our offense started moving and after telling my o-line to go conservative they stopped holding but didn't block much. We did much better with 2nd and 7's than 1st and 20's though.
    James White carried our team gaining 145 yards on 21 carries in his return to his home state. It looked as if it wasn't meant to be though as we continued to trade punts until deep in the game. With less than a minute left though the Badgers offense broke open for its only big play of the day as junior quarterback Budmayr found freshman Donnie Jones down the seam for a 66 yard touchdown and win.

11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Michigan completes a miraculous comeback !

In a game so sloppy that it would make Rosie O’Donnell hamstrings look tight, Michigan overcame injuries , penalties, 5 turnovers , and awkward sexual offers made to our nations homeless by coach Finch to escape with a win.

Early in the game it looked as if returning Seniors Roundtree & Robinson were going to carry the Wolverines to an easy win, but the Gamecocks had other plans. After a 10-0 start by Michigan the ol' ball coach made some adjustments and stymied the offense, then stud S.C. Halfback Marcus Lattimore took over. After a pounded out drive where Lattimore had 7 straight carries and a 15yrd TD run the Cocks took to the air and burnt the young Michigan corners with a 72yrd TD pass off of play action.
    At the half it was 14-10 S.C. , but things were about to get worse for Michigan. On the first drive of the second half Robinson was injured when a S.C. Linebacker hit him directly in his vagina during a throw, leading to pick 6 and putting the wolverines down 21-10 , then a late FG before the end of the 3rd made it 24-10. As the forth quarter started a misscommunication issue caused a INT from Michigan backup Gardner in Michigan territory , and a quick TD pass from S.C. Made it 31-10 with just over 7min left.

All looked lost, until coach Finch rallied the troops , it what one Michigan booster from the sidelines described as a profanity & odd sexual advance offer to the homeless tirade that could only be witnessed to be believed. The Wolverine defense then took the field and made a series of remarkable plays , made possible by the worst play calling in S.C. History. With 6min left S.C. Took to the air and gave up a pick 6 to freshman Raymond Robinson, and on the very next play after kickoff threw another INT returned for 6, making it 31-24 S.C. Then on the next series when all still seemed lost, as coach Spurrier with visor clearly in mouth decided to run the ball..... once …. then on second down the Michigan secondary came up with another INT, leaving the door still open for a miracle. On a drive aided by 2 roughing calls, yet hampered by 3 holding calls, Michigan found Roundtree for a long bomb to get them in the redzone, then pounded in a TD run with 3:08 left.
    31-31
    After electing to kickoff and play defense the Gamecocks would surely run the ball and play for OT..... but not so much. After getting to the Michigan red zone the Cocks then had 2 holding calls in a row and were forced to punt. With under 2min left Michigan drove down the field and backup QB Gardner hit Roundtree on a spectacular 28yrd TD in the back of the endzone with just 37 seconds left. However, the drama was not over. After a decent kick return the Wolverine D held S.C. To 3 straight incomplete, when a phantom roughing call extended the drive, after 3 more incomplete passes around the Michigan 40 yardline it was 4th down with 7 seconds left. Michigan then dropped 10 into hail mary coverage, but Senior Craig Roh then fought through 6 blockers to sack and force a fumble to end the game.

Michigan 38
    South Carolina 31

12. Dru50

13. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

#22 Miss. St 24 @ California 26

For 45 minutes, the Mississippi State Bulldogs came into Memorial Stadium and laid the wood to the hometown Bears, but oft criticized sr qb Zach Maynard, and a determined Cal defense kept fighting and finally broke through to take their first and only lead of the game as time expired on a chip shot field goal.

MSU ran the ball quite effectively in the first half, tallying a Perkins 25 yard td run, and then a Prescott 10 yard scramble into the endzone, sandwhiching a Bumphis 8 yd td catch from Prescott. At 21-7, the Cal coaching staff decided with just seconds to go in the half to attempt to garner some momentum with a play action pass, but it was not a wise decision as Maynard underthrew a go route and it got picked off and returned to the 23 with only 4 seconds left, giving MSU time to kick a FG to go up by 17 at the break.

Cal's defense finally started showing that they can play the run (only giving up 44 yards on the ground all day), and kept MSU in 3rd and long for much of the second half. But still the offense struggled to move the ball, shooting themselves with holding penalties on 3rd down conversions, and then also dropping some passes. And finally what looked like the back breaker late in the 3rd, when Fr qb Jonathon Pierce (splitting snaps with Maynard) threw an interception deep in Cal territory. But Cal's defense stood tall and held the Dogs without points, forcing a punt after 2 negative plays and a sack.

The turning point came with about 6 minutes in the 4th, when an originally lost fumble by wr Keenan Allen inside the MSU 35 was overturned by the referee and given back to Cal. On 3rd down a wheel route was thrown perfectly by Maynard to RB Iso Sofele, who caught it and took it in to breathe life back in the stadium. Then came all the MSU mistakes. The next possession yielded the 2nd interception of the day by MLB JP Hurrell, which was quickly turned around offensively and run in by Cavaughn Johnson to cut the lead to 24-21. The ensuing kickoff would yield a holding penalty against the Bulldogs, putting them deep in their own territory. And on 3rd and 14 the Cal defense stood tall and sacked Prescott in the endzone to make it a one point game and give all of the momentum to the Bears and their faithful. From there the Bears milked the clock with Johnson and Sofele, including a big 25 yard gain to Sofele on a screen play, ending at the 2 yard line with 3 seconds to go. And cue: Freshman kicker Dwayne Cook for the win. The Bears stormed the field as the field goal went through, in a high energy celebration that lasted several minutes.

Maynard: 10-18 156 1 td 1 int
    Pierce: 1-6 1 int

Johnson 17 rush for 54 and 1 td, 5 recept for 48 yds
    Sofele 15 for 68 and 1 td - 1 recept for 32 and 1 td

MLB JP Hurrell: 2 ints, 3 tckls

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Air Force - 10
    UCLA - 41

UCLA holds Air Force to 27 yards rushing in route to the victory in Pasadena. Seniors Brehaut and Franklin lead the way, each scoring 2 TD's. A bye week for the Bruins, then the Badgers come to town (nightmares of Ron Dayne dancing in my head!)

UCLA Stats
    QB Richard Brehaut 9/19 112 yards, 2 TD's, 2 INT's
    HB Jonathan Franklin 17 carries, 174 yards, 2 TD's
    WR Ricky Marvay 3 catches, 110 yards, 1 TD
    MLB Jordan Zumwalt 7 Tackles, 4 TFL, 1 Sack

15. Dru50

USC survives a scare from BYU 41-36 as BYU QB Jake Heaps does his best 'super QB' imitation going 27-41 for 384 yards and 4 TD's, most of them on lob passes that seemed to always find WR's who were uncovered in the secondary. Coach Dru was quoted after the game - "We expected some growing pains on defense, but this was freaking pathetic. There was very little pass rush, and the coverage in both man and zone was completely non-existent. If that's the way we are going to play defense this year, we'll be lucky to win 8 games."

Matt Barkley had a good day, but for 3 horrible decisions by me on passes (all of which got picked off), as he 301 yards passing with 4 TD's. The top targets in the game turned out to be the two young guys - George Farmer (3 catches for 64 yards and a TD) and Kyle Prater (4 catches for 79 yards and 2 TD), as Brice Butler and Robert Woods struggled to get open (all 3 picks by me were on plays where I tried to force them the ball). The player of the game though was HB Dillon Baxter, who kept the Trojans in the game in the 2nd quarter with two long TD runs of 71 yards and 68 yards (this one was with 27 seconds left in the half and me trying to just get to halftime). Baxter finished the day with a career high 226 yards rushing.

I really hope this was just my 'CPU screw job' game for the season, which is what it felt like. From the fact that my entire DL fell down on half of BYU's passing attempts to the my punt returner fumbling a ball with no one around him to BYU getting a TD catch on a ball batted down by two defenders that just fell to the Cougar WR, it just felt like nothing was going to go my way defensively. The only stops I got came in the 4th, but that seemed to be enough. Needless to say I'm now nervous about going on the road to Boise St who has a 93 OVR QB even after Kellen Moore graduated.

[​IMG]

16. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

WSU 38
    UTEP 19

Bobby Ratliff scored four touchdowns as the Cougars passing attack rolled over the out man Miners. Jeff Tuel played outstanding throwing 5 touchdown passes four to Ratliff, and fifth to Marquess Wilson. The new offense worked really well as HB Carl Winston rushed for 88 yards. The defense played a solid game for the Miners' quarterback to throw into coverage, but was only able to intercept one pass. Up next MSU, can the Cougs get revenge for last season's loss?

17. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

New X-conference rivalry in the making? Only if you win. Would be cool, so part of me is rooting for you. A tiny, tiny bit.

18. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Week 1:

Penn St 52
    Notre Dame 9

Starters Crush the Irish Early and Often

After a slow start, the Penn st Offense exploded for 42 first half points. Returning Junior and Heisman winner Silas Redd broke of a 72 yard TD run early, finishing with 110 yards and 3 TDs on 14 carries. 3rd string HB Belton also nearly reached 100 yards rushing with the second team in the second half.

The new 2 TE hurry up offense proved effective as the lions were able to spread the ball around to starting TEs JD Mason and Kevin Haplea while still keeping #1 WR Justin Brown included in the offense. Problems at #2 WR may lead to a change in the depth chart.

McGloin and Bolden Split time while coach WhyGod evaluated their effectiveness. Looks like WhyGod may be leaning toward McGloin after a particularly inaccurate performance from Bolden.

19. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

WEEK 2

MSU 35
    WSU 14

In this game it seemed liked Sparty only made big plays, which is probably why it felt like the Cougars offense was on the field for the whole game. On their very first drive, Junior QB Peter Badovonic hit WR Bennie Fowler on a quick slant, but Fowler broke a tackle and turned the pass into an 80 yard TD. Fowler would later catch another TD on a deep play action pass. He ended the game with 153 yards recieving.

"We knew they'd be expecting a healthy dose of Le Veon Bell in this game, and we used it against them, with play action and quick passes out of I-Formation." said Head Coach Mark Dantonio. "We may be a running team, but we are not afraid to pass and keep those safeties honest."

The Cougars offense looked very good against a vastly superior Spartans defense, moving the ball downfield with ease at times, with quick accurate passes. If not for 4 INTs thrown by WSU QB Jeff Tuel, 3 of which were in the red zone, this game could have easily gone the other way. One of those INTs was returned for over 100 yards and a TD by Junior Free Safety Isaiah Lewis.

"We told you to watch out for Lewis' speed at media days" exclaims Dantonio. "I dont think that will be his last defensive TD this year."

The third big play came when kick returner and 2nd string halfback, Senior Larry Caper returned a kick 92 yards for a TD, following a Jeff Tuel TD pass. This was the nail in WSU's coffin, in what was a very good game.

20. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

21. gowazzucougs

Those two big pass plays hurt, those interceptions in the red zone just left my frustrated. On that pick six I should have audible to a run, once you figured I might pass the ball on that play. And you have now joined the my kickoff return club. There is some issue with my controller that affects my kicking ability. When I kick the ball especially on kickoffs the ball constant ally goes to the right. I thought I switched controllers to fix it, but maybe I switched them back. Overall good game.

22. gowazzucougs

I am going to mess around with my controllers to see if I inadvertently switched controllers.

23. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Cheez Where is the stanford write up.... I need to read about the spin move of extra-ordinary magnitude!

24. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Stanford Survives OT Thriller in Madison

Stanford: 30
    Wisconsin: 24

For four quarters, this was a perfect game to watch and be apart of. It was the classic heavyweight fight between #9 Stanford and #10 Wisconsin, with the winner having the prize of keeping their national championship hopes alive. Every score had a reciprocation, and throughout the game their was uncertainty as to who would win.

Stanford started with the ball, and on the second play would score on a deep pass play to start of with a bang. The Badgers came back down the field with a methodical rushing attack, until they got down to the one yard line. The Cardinal D was stout, as they would keep Coach Bielema's Badgers out of the endzone, forcing them to settle for a field goal and make the game 7-3. Stanford would kick a field goal in the second quarter, to increase the lead back to 7. The Badgers had an answer though, using a balanced offense to move down the field effortlessly before putting a touchdown on the board and knotting the score at 10 going into the half.

Wisconsin got the ball to start the second half, and continued to build their momentum. Budmayr lead Bucky back down the field and after a long, time consuming drive they took the lead for the first time 17-10. Stanford had an answer though, as Luck would complete his second TD of the game from around 30 yards out tying the game up again at 17. Wisconsin landed their next blow with another demoralizing trip down the field - converting multiple third downs and dominating line play throughout. After the Badger touchdown and the teams trading punts, Luck and Company were facing a 7 point deficit with just over a minute to play in regulation.

It's points like this in a game where senior leadership is huge, and Stanford was very lucky to have Andrew Luck back at QB. It looked as though he was going to nickel and dime his way down the field with his receivers going out of bounds shortly after catching the ball, but a deep pass down the sideline got Stanford in scoring distance with 37 seconds remaining. Two plays later, Luck was able to scramble ahead and march into the endzone and knot the game back up at 24. The QB, who once had dreams of being 1st overall in the NFL draft, showed that he still had the ability to do so as he went 6 for 7 on the final drive of regulation. More importantly, Andrew Luck was sending this terrific game into overtime.

Up until this point, there had not been a mistake made by either team. The drive started off as though this was going to continue, with a twelve yard run by All-American halfback James White. However, facing third down after that, Budmayr cracked and threw behind his receiver. So far behind that it was intercepted by a linebacker, which gave Stanford control of the game. From here, it only took one play: a toss out of the power I formation and a great spin move by Stepfan Taylor. The run went for 25 yards, and sent the Badgers fans in attendance home unhappy. However, they should go out with their heads held high, because this was one hell of a ball game from start to finish.

For Stanford, the punishment never ends. While beating #10 Wisconsin was great, the Cardinal have a bigger task ahead of them as they will have a return match with #1 Ohio State next week in Palo Alto. Last year's game was a rout, with Ohio State dominating throughout and winning 37-6. These two teams are vastly different, so it is safe to assume that the game will be much different as well.

25. Dru50

Going into week 2 vs Boise St, some of the Trojan fans were a bit nervous following one of the worst defensive performances in Coach Dru's tenure, but Dru assured everyone that was an aberration due to the team spending a late night out prior to the game at the Spearmint Rhino - "The curfew this week was scaled back and quite frankly there won't be anything to do in Boise anyway, so we should be fine."

USC was fine, as they destroyed the Broncos 45-3, with most of the damage done by halftime. The defense and Matt Barkley's passing were the key. Barkley passed for over 370 yards and 4 scores on the day.

On the defensive side, RS freshman OLB Tre Madden continued his strong start, with 2 sacks and an INT, he now has 11 tackles, 4TFL, 3 sacks and 2 INTs on the season.