Season 2 Chew Clock

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Sep 8, 2009.

?

What should be the guidelines for chew clock?

1. Use whenever you want

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ban it completely

100.0%
  3. Only allow it in the 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Season 2 Chew Clock

We currently don't have any rules about this I don't believe. In the BCS game Hokie used this strategy against me to shorten the game and keep my offense off the field, which makes sense.

However, since we only play 7 minute quarters as is, do we want to allow this strategy going forward?

I can see both sides of the argument on this one but I guess my opinion is that I want to play the game, and have an opportunity for 100 plays per game (50 for each team, obviously these plays aren't divided equally), not play a 5 minute quarter game because half the time is spent with chew clock.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

i think chew clock should only be used within last 4 mins if u are winning or down 2 points or less and ur killing time to kick the game winning field goal.

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

You shouldnt be able to. If he want to do that make him do it manually. LIke every play run the clock down

4. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

It's so annoying to have some1 run the clock down manually...I say only in the last 2 min of 1st half and entire 4th quarter...If we make it based on certain scores that can get a little silly.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

All leagues obviously have different rules or go by different rules, but in T1 our rules stipulate that the reason the clock is 8 min. (or 7 in your case) is obviously to get the games over with fast but for that reason people need to get plays off relatively quickly... In order to have a decent, realistic number of total plays in the game. In our league that would have been against the rules. So i'm not sure what set of rules you're going by, but that's what we use....

We don't really have a chew clock rule I don't think... But I've had it used on me in realistic situations (once people had a lead, in the 4th QTR, etc..) and I think that's fine.

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

It is strategy and it worked for me in the BCS game. Florida's offense was limited because I controlled the clock and ball with long time consuming drives. This strategy is employed all the time in "real life" to keep prolific offenses of ther field. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you just stop the offense on D.....chew the clock would not be a factor. Not taking anything away from Gator. He deserves the NC, great opponent.

Chew the clock is not part of my normal offense, but was situational for that game. I really don't think it should be policed.

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

What's the difference if he uses the chew clock feature or runs it down every play? If anything he was doing both of you a favor by using the feature. But I'm impartial on this one too. I vote with the majority.

8. GoGators

I'm with Hellisan on this one guys. Like I said in my original post, I understand Hokie's strategy for using it.

Yes teams do use it in real life and attempt to control the clock but they also play with 12 minute quarters. Since we only play with 7 minutes, it kind of hurts the game IMO.

I know in my own attempt to abide with my personal rule to keep the games moving that if I'm winning in the 4th quarter I'll run the clock down to 15 before selecting my play and then snap it at the line when I'm ready. I don't usually take it all the way to 0, unless it's inside the 2 minute warning.

I'll try to post a poll and we can vote on this and see how it turns out. I'll tell you my vote right now is that it should only be available for use in the 4th quarter at the most.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I vote for this too (which isn't an option in the poll). I think it should be allowed for the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter and probably the last 4 minutes or so of the 4th, but I suppose the entire 4th would be fine.

That being said, I never use chew the clock anyway as it doesn't give me enough time to audible. I'm big on audibles so my offense is slower than most anyway even without chewing the clock.

10. GoGators

I tried to edit the poll but once it's created it won't let you.

So along with the only in the 4th quarter choice, we can include w/under 2 minutes to go in the first half. I don't think that's a problem.

6 votes so far, wonder where everyone else is?