Season 2 Preseason Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

1. Oregon Ducks
    [​IMG]

The Oregon Ducks are on top of the college football world, and they're on top of our power rankings as well. Though the Ducks lose Heisman Trophy winning, do-it-all tailback De'Anthony Thomas, the cupboard is not bare in Eugene. Thomas Tyner will provide Oregon a speed element, while Byron Marshall gives the Ducks a steady veteran for tough yards. Most importantly, the Ducks return Heisman candidate Marcus Mariota and a very talented secondary. As the reigning national champions, and only undefeated team in 2013, this is Oregon's spot until someone knocks them off.

2. Alabama Crimson Tide
    [​IMG]

Can we just make digital Nick Saban a user coach? The Tide certainly played like a user team in 2012, going 4-0 against SEC users and coming up just short to the Ducks in the national title game. Until an SEC team knocks them off, Alabama will be treated like a user on this list.

3. Nebraska Cornhuskers
    [​IMG]

Nebraska doesn't have the most talented team in the country last year, but they didn't in 2013 either, and all that team did was go 13-1, win the Rose Bowl and upset a Buckeye team that was thought to be destined for the national title. The Huskers were a bad game away from a trip to the title themselves last season, and should contend again in season 2. Though they lost Taylor Martinez, it might actually be an addition by subtraction as the offense continues to transition toward a more pro-style look.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes
    [​IMG]

Many fans in Columbus are still sick to their stomachs over the second half the Buckeyes churned out against Nebraska in the B1G title game. The Buckeyes return plenty of talent, namely most of their skill position players, six of their front seven and all of their cornerbacks, including Bradley Roby, who is looking to bounce back from a disappointing 2013 campaign. Having said that, Ohio State has to replace the production of Philly Brown and plug in four new offensive linemen, and of course, Braxton Miller. If the offensive line can't hold up, it could be a disappointing season for OSU

5. Texas A&M Aggies
    [​IMG]

Like Ohio State, the Aggies can point to one game and say "that's why we weren't in the title." What's more frustrating for A&M is that they know they could have beaten Alabama. The SEC West will be more manageable this season with LSU going East, but the conference is still a gauntlet. And so is A&M's non-conference schedule, which pits them against the Ducks in an early-season showdown. The winner of that matchup will certainly have an inside track to the title.

6. USC Trojans
    [​IMG]

It's really tough to determine just how good the Trojans are. Neither of their losses were shameful last year, Oregon went on to win the title and Notre Dame is an extremely talented foe. And the Trojans have a couple of quality wins under their belt, namely the user match against Stanford and the blowout bowl win over Texas. That being said, USC hasn't beat any of CL's elite. They'll have a chance to change that with an early-season bout against OSU.

7. Arkansas Razorbacks
    [​IMG]

Can't understate how impressed we were with Arkansas last season. In the toughest SEC West the Razorbacks will face in CL, and likely with their worst team, coach Massey and company were able to manage a 10-2 regular season record and a huge win over LSU. Stud tailback Alex Collins returns, and so long that he avoids a sophomore slump, the Razorbacks could be primed for a breakout season.

8. Wisconsin Badgers
    [​IMG]

Much like with Arkansas, Wisconsin managed season 1 with an average team in a 3-user division. The Badgers user victory over Penn State was huge, and definitely gave Wisconsin some momentum coming into season 2. That being said, coach Cieske has to deal with a very tough Nebraska side for years to come and didn't have the strongest recruiting year. Season 2 will be big for the Badgers on all fronts.

9. Florida
    [​IMG]
    How does a team that played in a conference championship find its way to the bottom half of the rankings? While it wouldn't be fair to say the Gators won the East by default, they didn't have another user in that division either. The Gators will have LSU to contend with in the East from this point forward, and the rest of the SEC gauntlet to boot. We don't think the Gators are a bad team, but they did go 0-3 against SEC users last season. The bowl win against Penn State was impressive, though

10. Penn State Nittany Lions
    [​IMG]

The Lions could have been higher on this list, had they not gotten swept in B1G user play and beaten by Florida in the bowl. All in all though it was a very successful season for coach Jbek. Penn State went undefeated against the computer with a freshman at quarterback, and also pulled in a very talented recruiting class. Hackenburg's progression in year two will be the deciding factor for Penn State this year. The sky is the limit for Hackenburg, and if he progresses like he should, the outlook is similar for the team in Happy Valley.

11. Stanford Cardinal
    [​IMG]

Antonio didn't have a lot of time to work with his team as he joined the league at the tail-end of the season, but in his limited time he could have done more. An 0-2 mark against users never helps your position in the user ranks, and Stanford lost out on some top recruits as well. Having said that, the Cardinal return a ton of talent in 2014 and have the type of team to give Oregon fits in the trenches. Don't sleep on Stanford.

12. LSU Tigers
    [​IMG]

The Tigers beat Florida last year, but that doesn't keep them ahead of their new divisional foe. LSU really fell apart down the stretch, getting blown out by Arkansas in the season finale and then falling in their bowl game to MSU. With Zach Mettenberger out of Baton Rouge, and the QB position up in the air, it's hard to see LSU taking a leap forward this fall.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. jandy

jandy Walk On

I'm liking the #1 ranking, too bad that's not how the pollsters in the game see it lol. Losing DAT will be tough, but overall, my team is stronger. It'll all come down to the play of Mariota as we look to repeat as PAC 12 Chomps and National Chomps

3. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

Lol. Didnt do my Huskers any favorites by putting us up this high. So much for sneaking up on people this year

4. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

Also wanted to update the dynasty on our roster. As we know, my other half decided to take the job at illinois. (Like who leaves Neb for Illinois?) Thats another story for another day.

12 seniors
    4 walk ons who will be cut (that the cpu added and would never see the light of day on my roster). And everyone knows you gotta be special to get one of my blackshirts)
    + 3 scholarships.

Nebraska has 19 available scholarships to use this season.

Last but not least I think I should note that the talent drops off dramatically after this season. So everyone please play nice and let me get some recruits :) Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Spayer419, I did have three losses against SEC foes, but only two were to users. The third was against Bama in the CCG. Looking to rebound this season with a better showing and better feel for the game.

• Like Like x 1